wrapper of F@H for BOINC?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

filu

wrapper of F@H for BOINC?

Post by filu »

Hello
Can anyone hear that the wrapper of F@H is created for BOINC? Is it true.
i7-2600K@4.8 Asus P8P67 EVO 2x2GB GTX480
i7-920@4.0 GA-EX58-UD5 3x2GB 2xGTX560Ti
2x Xeon 5620 6x 2GB
2x Xeon 5645 6x 2GB
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: wrapper of F@H for BOINC?

Post by PantherX »

AFAIK, BOINC doesn't have the required resources (I guess the programming?) that is needed by F@H. Although, there was an attempt to get F@H on BOINC but that never passed the beta stage due to numerous problems and was abandoned.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
filu

Post by filu »

TomaszPawel May 11, 2010 - 19:29:

This is normal, the project has periods of drought ...

P.S.

There is a group of recruiting in our forums to Folfing @ Home ...

Guests have bad luck, because not enough that soon you see a BOINC wrapper ---> F @ H as the RC5-72 -> dnetc.net is still our team is also present at F @ H.

So by BOINC, you can count nabijając F @ H points here and there:)
And what is it?
There is a link http://forum.purepc.pl/SetiHome-UD-inne ... ml&st=2370
2x Xeon 5620 6x 2GB
2x Xeon 5645 6x 2GB
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

filu wrote:Hello
Can anyone hear that the wrapper of F@H is created for BOINC? Is it true.
Not likely, no. Sorry.

From the FAQ. FAH on boinc
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
filu

Post by filu »

7im wrote:Not likely, no. Sorry.
I do not want to fold into BOINC. Team Poland is looking for volunteers to fold. And each member of BOINC tells us that it makes no sense, because soon the F @ H will be a wrapper.
2x Xeon 5620 6x 2GB
2x Xeon 5645 6x 2GB
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

If a fah client for BOINC has been on the shelf for the last 4 years, it's probably not coming down off the shelf any time soon. There is no wrapper from Stanford, and any 3rd wrapper would be unsupported, potentially even blocked if it broke the End User License Agreement.

If they want to fold, they should just run the fah client.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

filu wrote:I do not want to fold into BOINC. Team Poland is looking for volunteers to fold. And each member of BOINC tells us that it makes no sense, because soon the F @ H will be a wrapper.
Please ask those BOINC members to find the source of this rumor and provide corrected information to those who are spreading it. It's simply not true.

There was a development project to build a wrapper about 4 years ago, as 7im said. That project determined that there were serious incompatibility between FAH and BOINC which could not be resolved with a wrapper and further efforts were abandoned. There are no plans to re-open that sort of development effort.

Anyone is free to choose to run either FAH or BOINC. An inaccurate rumor of a phantom future development is not a valid reason to delay making that choice. Although it's possible, with some trickery, to run both at the same time, we do not recommend that option. Make a choice and stick with it.
filu

Post by filu »

Link to the topic in our forum
http://www.forum.zwijaj.pl/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=616

""Project of wrapper FAH/BOINC is not the work of Stanford.
It is created by team, who recently did distibuted.net BOINC wrapper.
Proteinfolding @ home / Folding @ home / is already an advanced stage of production..."" http://www.boincatpoland.org/smf/polski ... #msg103087
2x Xeon 5620 6x 2GB
2x Xeon 5645 6x 2GB
cristipurdel

Post by cristipurdel »

7im wrote:There is no wrapper from Stanford, and any 3rd wrapper would be unsupported, potentially even blocked if it broke the End User License Agreement.
Don't want to flame here, but I cannot believe it.
Basically you are saying that, if there is somebody who would put some effort into this, it will be blocked due to EULA.
But on the other hand, FAH says it doesn't have the resources/will to do it by itself.
Well, it's so.... closed-minded.
distributed.net also had a grudge against boinc if I remember, but right now there are 2 boinc wrappers for it.
dnetc has become the 9th overall boinc project, and the 2nd in recent statistics.
In the past months, fah stats page http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... pe=osstats has flat out, even diminished.
I cannot see a solid argument why fah would not benefit from a boinc wrapper.
How many iterations had the fah client, and how many did boinc had.
Regarding the question of data security, I can understand your point of view, but I think the wcg had the same issue towards boinc, and now they have fully figure it out (probably it's better than yours).
Not trying to flame here, but, if fah would be more open-minded, maybe it will benefit more:
security issues - take a look at wcg
molecular dynamics - take a look at gpugrid
multicore utilization - take a look at aqua, also regarding opencl
optimized applications - take a look at seti beta

If there will be no boinc wrapper, not the end of the world, but I don't see fah passing 10 native PFLOPS in the next 2 years.

From my personal point of view, If there was a boinc wrapper, I would run fah and as back-up(yes, you can set it as back-up) collatz, seti or gpugrid (when they have an ati app)

Till this day I don't know what happens if you find a cure for aids or cancer? Are you going to market it to corporations or are you going to make them public?
John Naylor
Hardware configuration: Q9450 OC @ 3.2GHz (Win7 Home Premium) - SMP2
E7500 OC @ 3.66GHz (Windows Home Server) - SMP2
i5-3750k @ 3.8GHz (Win7 Pro) - SMP2

Post by John Naylor »

cristipurdel wrote:Till this day I don't know what happens if you find a cure for aids or cancer? Are you going to market it to corporations or are you going to make them public?
I don't know enough about the advantages/disadvantages of the latest versions of BOINC to comment on that, but any results that this project gets from research are always released to the public.
Folding whatever I'm sent since March 2006 :) Beta testing since October 2006. www.FAH-Addict.net Administrator since August 2009.
Sahkolihaa
Hardware configuration: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 125W @ 3.4GHz, 4x4GiB (16GiB) Corsair XMS3 1333MHz RAM, Asus M5A97 Pro motherboard, NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti 1GiB, NVIDIA 9800GT 1GiB Eco

Post by Sahkolihaa »

There's one feature I really like about BOINC and that's the multi-brand GPU support. I have a HD3870 as my primary graphics card (currently RMAing the HD4850 I had) and a 9800GT as my secondary graphics card (dedicated to F@H). To run both of them at the moment, I have to use the GPU2 client for the HD3870 and the GPU3 client for the 9800GT.

I certainly hope F@H v7 supports multi-brand GPU configurations. :mrgreen:
bruce

Post by bruce »

Sahkolihaa wrote:There's one feature I really like about BOINC and that's the multi-brand GPU support. . . .

I certainly hope F@H v7 supports multi-brand GPU configurations. :mrgreen:
A wrapper that would allow FAH to run inside of BOINC would do nothing to provide support for other GPUs. FAH would still run only on ATI or nVidia GPUs of recent generations and only with certain versions of the drivers.

Our hopes for multi-gpu support depend on whether OpenCL lives up to its expectations. From what little I understand about it, at the present time, if one unit of work is presented to a nVidia GPU through CUDA, it takes, say, one unit of time. If the same unit of work is presented to an ATI GPU through Brook/CAL, it takes somewhat longer. If the same unit of work were presented to an arbitrary GPU through OpenCL, it would take much, much, much longer to process. There's no way to know when the OpenCL consortium and the manufacturers of drivers for brand-X GPUs will be able to develop code that is sufficiently optimized to be truly productive, but at present, OpenCL is more of an advertising tool than a productive computing platform.

A wrapper would only make sense for FAH's classic CPU client, and the work assignment and result uploading processes would not work through the BOINC APIs but rather happen directly to Stanford while the WU is "running" Because of those issues, BOINC would simply start the existing FAH client and the FAH points would only show on the FAH statistics. That sort of non-integrated processing would not make a FAH shell act like it was a part of BOINC. You can essentially do the same thing by downloading and running FAH directly.
bruce

Post by bruce »

This topic diverged into a discussion of OpenCL. I've split that into a new topic: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15152
cristipurdel

Post by cristipurdel »

bruce wrote: You can essentially do the same thing by downloading and running FAH directly.
That is the reason I quit folding. As much as I respect the research being done, I simply hate the fah client.
I will start again only if there was a wrapper, so that I can also manage other projects.
I know I'm not representing a large group, but that's the way I feel.
theteofscuba
Hardware configuration: PS3, Phenom II X4, QX9775, HD 8570

Post by theteofscuba »

cristipurdel wrote:
bruce wrote: You can essentially do the same thing by downloading and running FAH directly.
That is the reason I quit folding. As much as I respect the research being done, I simply hate the fah client.
I will start again only if there was a wrapper, so that I can also manage other projects.
I know I'm not representing a large group, but that's the way I feel.
Maybe just simply exposing some API would be enough to integrate into BOINC even though it would be a 3rd party thing and unsupported by PG