Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

F@h Advertisement Techniques

Post by Jesse_V »

My goal with this topic is to compile and discuss various ways of persuading people into joining Folding@home. As far as I know there aren't plans for traditional advertisements, and recruiting remains largely word-of-mouth or private persuasion to a group of people. However, I have found a number of advertisements in the Internet which do not appear to be effective, but there are some that are. It would be nice if people could add their proven techniques/advertisements to this list, so that effective ads can easily be drawn from the pool.

I'll start off with a few things I found.
First, I agree with this post: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19098#p190959 which states that simplicity is important. Folding@home does some very complicated stuff, so I agree that its important to not overwhelm someone with all the technical workings. But that depends on the audience of course, because if your talking to a biochem major it's a different story. :)

I stated here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19098#p192560 I think its a good idea to mention that users can back out of donating at any time, and that normally (meaning the uniprocessor client) they can use their computer as usual and shut them down overnight if they want. Also as Dr. Pande mentioned on the same topic, v7 will make everything unified and super easy, which is excellent. Look at how productive we already are when donors have to choose carefully from a long list of clients!

There's a small page on the F@h wiki about convincing a large university to run F@h. Has some interesting ideas: http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Convincing ... nstitution)_to_run_the_FAH_client

Here's a short essay ad I got forwarded to every Computer Scientist at USU which was pretty effective:
I wanted them to join our team, but since this is a team-neutral forum I've replaced every reference with *****

Code: Select all

To every Computer Science Undergraduate,
            I invite you to actively pursue a cure for cancer, Alzheimer's, sickle-celled anemia, cystic fibrosis, and many other diseases by running a small and secure program on your computer. Join Folding@home, the world’s most powerful and by far most productive distributed-computing project. Producing an average of almost eight scientific papers a year, and running at five times the speed of the world's fastest supercomputer, Folding@home studies protein folding, misfolding, and other molecular dynamics. Protein misfolding is believed to be directly linked to the onset of diseases such as Mad Cow, Alzheimer's, and many cancers. Pioneered and overseen by Professor Vijay Pande of Stanford University, the project has accurately simulated protein folding on timescales thousands of times longer than were previously thought possible. 

Hundreds of thousands of computers around the world actively contribute to the project. The small and highly secure software installed on each of these computers simply downloads a "workunit", processes it for several hours, uploads the results, and then repeats. This process usually runs completely in the background, and often requires very little maintenance. The simulations periodically save their progress, so no progress is lost if it is paused or temporarily shut down. Every contribution accomplishes more science, and users can easily opt out of the project at any time.

You can contribute to the project by running the software on your PC, Mac, or PS3. The Folding@home website, folding.stanford.edu/, contains guides, FAQs, statistics, and the project’s current results. The "Download" section offers a variety of clients, each tailored to different hardware. For beginners, there is a main uniprocessor client. This is the most stable of the available, but is also the least productive. If you own a computer with four CPU cores, there is a highly productive client (the SMP) for that as well. Folding@home can also take advantage of the high power and efficiency of a GPU. These latter clients, although technically in beta, are available under the “High Performance Windows Clients” link in the Download section.

You can join the ***** team! For each workunit that you complete, more points are added to our overall score. These points generally correlate to the amount of science accomplished. Currently, the ***** team has accumulated enough points to be ranked in the top 4th percentile! I invite you to join us in this noble cause. If you chose to participate, simply download the client you want, and upon first launch, a configuration display will appear. [RECOMMENDATIONS AS TO HOW TO CONFIGURE THE USERNAME/TEAM FIELDS EDITED OUT, SINCE ITS YOUR CHOICE]  This will identify you on our team, and all of your contributions will be listed on our team page, [LINK TO ***** F@h STATS PAGE]. You can even run multiple clients at the same time under your name, so long as you provide exactly the same username and team number. Every contribution moves science along further. I hope that in several months the ***** will pass up the [RIVAL SCHOOL] team!

Thank you for your time, good luck with your studies, and I hope to see you on the team!

Sincerely,
Jesse Victors
Of course if your audience is a more of the super-layman type, your techniques could change to maybe something like this:
(again with ***** blanking out team names and numbers)

Computers can think very quickly now days. They think faster and faster every year. But how much processing power do you need to browse Facebook or check your email? Not that much. I could understand needing all that power if your gaming or something, but for most tasks you probably use like 5 or 10% at most of the full computing power. This power is cheap, and sometimes you need all of it, and most people don't even care about it. But the fact is that most of the time the majority of the computing power remains unused most of the time. Now, there are certain problems in science and mathematics that would take thousands if not millions of years on a single computer to solve. Some people believe in aliens and want to analyze radio signals to find an unnatural one. There are so many stars and systems, and so many frequencies that this is a monumental task. There are also very large numbers that for various reasons need to be factored; this is also difficult. Some mathematicians are looking for specific types of prime numbers. So here we have all this number crunching to do, and all these people with gobs of spare processing power. Why not use them? When personal computers are used in this manner it’s called distributed computing, and it’s an excellent and highly efficient tool. You have volunteers helping out your project, so the leaders of the project don't have to pay for renting a supercomputer. The project I'm running on my computer is called Folding@home. It simulates proteins folding up into a 3D shape. Normally this 3D shape is perfect safe, and the protein goes on to do its job normally in the body. But certain major diseases are caused when things go wrong in that process, and Folding@home is trying to figure out the reason behind them. This is why I'm so excited about it. Its legit. It’s not alien-hunting. It’s not irrelevant prime numbers. Its Stanford's front-line highly-productive biomedical research! And the cool thing is that I can help out and still use my computer normally! Now I'm part of this hundreds-thousand-strong global project. Combined, our computing power rivals even the most powerful supercomputers on the planet. Since the project launched in October 2000, 84 scientific papers have been written as a direct result, more than all the other major distributed-computing projects combined. I have been participating in this project since October 2010, and my team (the ***** team, #*****) is pretty high on the rankings.
I’d recommend the Folding@home article on Wikipedia. It’s pretty well written, and should cover just about everything. The main Folding@home website, http://folding.stanford.edu, has lots of good information, FAQs, and how to download different clients. They offer clients for a variety of hardware. Their main client is extremely stable and will run on a single processor. They also have clients that use your graphics card, and another that take advantage of multiple processor cores. These last two are highly productive, but aren’t quite as stable as the main uniprocessor clients. They are available for download here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther. I’ve had no problems at all running them. I’ve been running the GPU and SMP (multicore processor client) on my computer since January.
Back when I learned about this project, I started a team, the *****. I then encouraged others to get involved in the project and join that team. You join a team by entering the team number in the Configure window of the client. Ours is *****. What I like to do is also use my name as my username. That way everyone sees Jesse_Victors on the team. It makes it easier to keep track of everyone and then congratulate them. :)

This may seem like a pretty complicated project. In inside, it is. But to the donors, it’s pretty simple because they don’t have to worry about all the technical workings. I’m just trying to fill you in as to the project itself and how to get involved. Most of the time I’m not using my computer, but it always stays busy running Folding@home. When I need to do something, the clients are designed to back off a bit to give me more processing power as needed. And if I want to restart my computer, they resume from a checkpoint. If I want to quit the project altogether, some other donor will end up picking up where I left off. So it’s all very much volunteer run. I find that with a few small exceptions I can pretty much use my computer as normal. But I’m searching for a cure for Alzheimer’s, cancer, and other diseases at the same time! Donors don’t have to have a powerful computer to join, because every little bit helps.

Anyway, enough said. If you have any questions or need clarification or something, feel free to email me back and I’d be happy to help out.

Jesse V.
Folding@home is one of the topics I'm considering for a researched persuasive essay for my English 2010 class. The only drawbacks is that I'd have to be careful not to get too technical, but if I succeeded, did well, and it became published in the English department's book of top essays, it might be really effective! :D but that's just a dream and we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, feel free to post any ideas you have below, or insert your own ads in "code" tags. If there's any foldingforum discussions that help out, it'd be great to gather those together as well. Thanks.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: F@h Advertisement Techniques

Post by 7im »

Multimedia seems to work for advertising... Team neutral FAH recruitment video
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

7im wrote:Multimedia seems to work for advertising... Team neutral FAH recruitment video
WOW that's well done! Simple, engaging, and powerful. Nice.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Team Short-Media (now Team Icronic) set the bar very high very early on in the project.

There several others on youtube as well.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

And of course there's always the F@h Wikipedia page if people really want more information. Its pretty well written at this point; good coverage and lots of citations. Depending on the audience you might even redirect them to check it out, or you could put select facts in your ad. If nothing else, its a pile of references, many of which offer various explanations of the project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

Thanks for the pm, I otherwise might have missed this thread, and a second thank you for posting your motivational texts, they read very nice.

The layman version's first paragraph could/should be broken up in smaller one's as it's a to large lump of text in one go ( then again I'm not a native speaker so don't take my word for anything ). Then there are some things I would describe different, in both the top and lower texts, for one I like citing references to things supporting your statements and there are some grammatical errors imo ( pm me if you want some details, I don't want to come across nitpicking so I won't break up your text in small parts and offer an alternate on the forum ).

There is a nice thread on the forums called 'Reasons for not using f@h', you actually have the last post in it -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1164&start=0. You can find some nice info there as well.
Jesse_V wrote:If nothing else, its a pile of references, many of which offer various explanations of the project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home
Could I motivate you in registering at fahwiki as well if you're interested in keeping wiki's up to date, it would be nice to have the dedicated fahwiki at least as current as the general wiki page about folding@home? In general, having more active contributors will be a very good thing!
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

MtM wrote: There is a nice thread on the forums called 'Reasons for not using f@h', you actually have the last post in it -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1164&start=0. You can find some nice info there as well.
Actually last week I found that thread, and I spend a good while reading the entire thing. There were some good and valid points raised. Some of which I've been asked about, so I know people really do think about them. The thread didn't stay as focused as I thought it would, but when I was reading the thread I copied some of the good responses into Notepad. I then reworded and condensed their points, and made sure I covered them in the Wikipedia page. So if you search the article for "Reasons for not using F@h" you'll find 6 references to posts in that thread, all by authors with >1000 posts.
MtM wrote:
Jesse_V wrote:If nothing else, its a pile of references, many of which offer various explanations of the project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home
Could I motivate you in registering at fahwiki as well if you're interested in keeping wiki's up to date, it would be nice to have the dedicated fahwiki at least as current as the general wiki page about folding@home? In general, having more active contributors will be a very good thing!
Hmm maybe. I'm finding it harder and harder to work on the Wikipedia page. I feel like I'm running out of new material to include, and any more citations for things would be redundant. Some of the published papers on the page need some work, but I don't know how to gather all the numbers and things to make it proper, so some of them are just links to the Papers page. But overall I like the page.
I recognize that the fahwiki needs work. There's lots of articles in it, and some are pretty handy. The problem is that if you Google "Folding@home", the fahwiki is down at the bottom of the page, while Wikipedia is right under the main website. According to Alexa Traffic Rank, Wikipedia is the 7th most visited site, while fahwiki is about the 3 millionth most visited site. So not only are people more like to go to Wikipedia to look something up, but it might also serve as some sort of advertisement of a kind: countering people's suspicions with well-cited facts. According to here: http://stats.grok.se/en/latest/Folding@home the F@h article gets about 350 views a day. So I feel like my efforts are better spent there.
In at least the articles I've sampled, fahwiki has citations to http://folding-community.org which does not currently exist and according to some of Pande's blog posts was shut down around 2007. Also, fahwiki seems like a how-to. Which is fine since minecraftwiki.net also has lots of how-tos. :D
That is not to say I won't work on it. I may feel that I should do something, and I'll go and register and make the changes. I'm just saying that at least right now I'm less inclined to. There's a "Folding@home cores" article on Wikipedia now, and I've cited the fahwiki cores article in places because much of the info is all right there.
More active contributors are useful, and maybe sometime soon I'll be one. I'll consider it. Thanks for pointing it out. :)
Last edited by Jesse_V on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Post by MtM »

Yes there are problems with the old references no longer working, but that does not limit the usefulness of new additions.

The fahwiki does contain allot of how-to's and I guess that's also the main interest, and yes most people who go there are being referenced it from these forums ( or team forums ) and not through a google search. Unless you include 'fahwiki' in the search options, which I would advice to people looking up folding related issues.

Wikipedia is not controlled by people strongly entwined with the project, and fahwiki most certainly is, that is my concern when using wikipedia. I've made few additions in the form of some stubs which where then extended by other people, and in many cases there where some corrections needed ( mostly cosmetic though ;) ). If I made those stubs on wikipedia, I wouldn't be so sure that the editorial overview would correct any possible wrong information.

I don't want to say one is definitely better then the other, the numbers of views on wikipedia show it's a great method to put the project under attention of allot of people and as you say the focus of content is different. So, don't see my question as asking to quit the one and do the other, but rather that you might be interested in doing both.

If you need specific help with any issues, I'm pretty sure allot of people around here would be capable and willing to help you find the information you need. The only thing you have to do is ask it on the forum, and either someone fitting the description above will read it and respond, or someone who knows someone who fits the description will inform said person of the thread and ask him/her to respond. At least, that's my expectation ;)
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

MtM wrote: If you need specific help with any issues, I'm pretty sure allot of people around here would be capable and willing to help you find the information you need. The only thing you have to do is ask it on the forum, and either someone fitting the description above will read it and respond, or someone who knows someone who fits the description will inform said person of the thread and ask him/her to respond. At least, that's my expectation ;)
Thanks. I'll remember that. And thanks for the suggestions on my layman's proof. You are right I should break up that paragraph, and I'll re-examine it for grammatical issues.

On the original train-of-thought, if anyone writes an ad and wants to offer some legitimate proof that Folding@home does not normally impact system performance, you can cite the Tech Report.. Their 2002 article starts here http://techreport.com/articles.x/4341/1 and, for convenience, concludes here http://techreport.com/articles.x/4341/10. Of course that was back in 2002, and they were running the command-line uniprocessor client (since that's all they had then I guess). But I think the results very likely still apply. Of course, if your running a High Performance Client, a little lag should be expected especially for the GPU client, but its all worth it. MtM, I understand you deal with some good desktop lag yourself! :) But most people should start off with the uniprocessor client anyway unless they seem interested in going all-out for the project. There is also a well-cited statement in the Wikipedia article about F@h backing off for other applications.

As stated in that Tech Report's article, here is another ad. I've changed the statement about the diseases a bit, but it should read just about the same:

Folding at Home is a distributed client computing effort by Stanford University intended to help understand how proteins assemble or "fold." Exactly how proteins assemble themselves is a mystery, and why the proteins sometimes fold improperly or "misfold" is also a mystery. Quite a few serious diseases are related to the misfolding of proteins, including cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson’s disease, and many others. By donating your CPU's spare cycles, you are contributing to the effort to understand how the proteins fold, which is the first step to understanding how basic proteins work and how we might treat these diseases.
7im

Post by 7im »

Do NOT cite an article that is 9 years old, running a client that is 4 versions out of date (v3.14), on an operating system just as ancient.

Granted, the v6 uni client doesn't perform that much differently, but citing the performance of just one of the many types of fah clients from that far back does not seem like the right thing to do. No one is going to value an article that is a decade old in real time, and a century old in computer time.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

7im wrote:Do NOT cite an article that is 9 years old, running a client that is 4 versions out of date (v3.14), on an operating system just as ancient.

Granted, the v6 uni client doesn't perform that much differently, but citing the performance of just one of the many types of fah clients from that far back does not seem like the right thing to do. No one is going to value an article that is a decade old in real time, and a century old in computer time.
All right. I guess that makes sense. Well I guess you could just state that the clients run at low priority and should give all your other applications as much power as needed.

However you do it, I think the combination of 1) doing some top-of-the-line disease research, 2) won't slow you down, 3) won't compromise you or your system in any way, 4) how long you participate is entirely up to you, and 5) use your computer as normal if you so choose, should be a pretty convincing argument if those points are well covered.

7im, other than that video and those on YouTube, have you run across any effective F@h ads? What's your normal approach?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Yes, for along time, the only client was the uniprocessor client but that's not surprising since few home computers had dual CPUs.

The 9 year old article is still reasonably accurate for uniprocessor clients. FahCore_78 has not changed much and I suspect that in the uniprocessor environment, FahCore_a4 is about the same. By default, FAH runs at an extremely low priority (even lower than "LOW") and is very good at yielding processor resources to anything else you might run. Back in those days, the only people who had any noticeable lag didn't have enough RAM, but that was when Windows systems had 32K or 64K and I can't imagine anybody trying to run that small a system today.

The fundamental problem is that most folks will be told that the uniprocessor doesn't use all of their system resources and they can get much higher PPD running SMP or GPU assignments . . . and they'll be lured into creating a "better" setup that has some lag. The article itself is still accurate today, but as soon as a new donor talks to anybody who has been folding very long, their expectations will be changed, making the article no longer applicable.
7im

Post by 7im »

And in the past, the uni- client was the default. So it always kept out of the way of other programs (SMP and GPU were an opt-in setting). Now in V7, SMP and GPU are the defaults, and fah will almost always not get out of the way of other programs. SMP and GPU are now opt-out.

As I said, quoting an old article is not the right thing to do, without a lot more explaining. And by then, you might was well not quote it at all.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

7im wrote:And in the past, the uni- client was the default. So it always kept out of the way of other programs (SMP and GPU were an opt-in setting). Now in V7, SMP and GPU are the defaults, and fah will almost always not get out of the way of other programs. SMP and GPU are now opt-out.

As I said, quoting an old article is not the right thing to do, without a lot more explaining. And by then, you might was well not quote it at all.
I feel like the uniprocessor is still a good starting spot for people new to the project. Its the most stable, requires very little maintenance, and (forgetting the article) affects the user the least. If the person you are persuading seems very interested, I think they should be informed of the High Performance Clients, including their advantages and their disadvantages. Between the two, it seems to me that the GPU causes more lag and is a little more tricky to run than the SMP, so my order would be 1) inform them of the generals of the project, 2) inform them that how easy it is to help and perhaps lead them to the uniprocessor, 3) if they seem interested during step 2, inform them about the SMP and GPU, 4) if they seem interested during step 3, recommend the SMP as it causes less lag than the GPU, and 5) if you feel that the the folding bug has successfully found a victim, show them how install the GPU client if they so desire.

Examining the v7 documentation, its nice to see how easy it will be for new users to set up. I actually found this passage: "Note: Express Install will automatically install a single client slot, depending on the computer hardware detected. If multiple CPU cores are detected, an SMP slot is the first default option. If not, then a Uniprocessor slot is installed as the fall back option. A GPU slot is not a default option, but can be selected manually." It seems to me that that setup is a good move. Apparently the GPU is not default, so users must "opt-in" for it, which is entirely appropriate IMO.

Now, the only drawback I see to those default options is that if the user is installing Folding@home on their computer, doesn't really know what the SMP is, and just installs it and forgets it as they normally would with the uniprocessor, they may not make the deadlines on time and may slow down the project. It just seems to me that most newcomers wouldn't know about all the conditions the SMP brings (heat, short deadlines, perhaps lower FPS on games, a scary 100% usage if they open Task Manager, ...). Maybe there should a tiny explanation about the pros/cons of the SMP that would be good for those people. As multi-core processors are becoming more and more the norm, a lot more non-computer-experts get those machines, so the demands of the SMP might be too much to be a default option for those users, despite the SMP being very productive. However, on my machine at least, the SMP does an excellent job of getting out of the way even for games, but the GPU is not as good with that. I am aware of the deadlines and the heat, and take measures to ensure both are taken care of properly. I'm in a college dorm room at the moment, and my roommate became somewhat interested in F@h, and as far as I can see he doesn't know or care about either. Despite having an multi-core processor in his laptop, he shuts his computer down at night, unplugs it for brief periods, but other than that uses it throughout the day. Its a good thing I showed him how to install the uniprocessor, and he keeps completing WUs every so often. But imagine if he was installing v7 and used the default options because he wouldn't know the details, he just wanted to help.

So, concluding, it appears that in v7 SMP is the default, which may not be the best move for some, GPU is still opt-in as it should be, SMP at least on my machine backs off nicely, and the uniprocessor remains a set-and-forget client/slot. Perhaps the article should not be quoted, but now we have a solid statement by Bruce (and there are other supporting statements out there) that the uniprocessor affects users very little if at all. As long as your leading the person your persuading to the uniprocessor client, the statement holds true no matter if you cite the article or not. Of course the moment they seem very interested and you start mentioning (not necessarily recommending) the High Performance Clients, its important to mention the system impact and the deadlines.
7im

Post by 7im »

V7 is changing, so that install guide will change as well.

SMP as default in V7 is the right choice, as one of the most common forum question with v5 and v6 was, "Why is the client only using 1 of my X many cores?" Yes, a few new users may need to adjust back down to uniprocessor in V7, but these days that number will be far less than what we saw of that previous question with previous clients. The other most common questions were about setup. V7 resolves both.

There isn't much I that I ever have to imagine with fah. Been there and done it, or answered in the forum more than a dozen times over. ;)