Windows 8 preview

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

kg4icg

Windows 8

Post by kg4icg »

Well if anyone wanted to know, currently I'm running FAH V7 on the Windows 8 Developers Build with no problems so far. Hardware is I7-920 with 6gb of ddr3 1600. Things seem to run smoothly. Installation went without a hitch. So if you have a spare machine and want to give a whirl. Currently running a 7611 wu.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Windows 8

Post by Jesse_V »

Well that's good to know. Thanks! Hopefully MS can think of a more creative name or something before its released. :D
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

Jesse_V wrote:Well that's good to know. Thanks! Hopefully MS can think of a more creative name or something before its released. :D
They never came up with something better for 7... and considering how much more popular 7 has been than Vista, they may be thinking that it's better to stick with numbers. Not that many people would consciously think "Oh, they named it, it'll go the same way as Vista," but there could be some subtle subliminal effect.
Mactin

Post by Mactin »

Zagen30 wrote:
Jesse_V wrote:Well that's good to know. Thanks! Hopefully MS can think of a more creative name or something before its released. :D
They never came up with something better for 7... and considering how much more popular 7 has been than Vista, they may be thinking that it's better to stick with numbers. Not that many people would consciously think "Oh, they named it, it'll go the same way as Vista," but there could be some subtle subliminal effect.
Dont forget that Windows 7 is in reality Windows 6.1.
So Windows 8 will realy be Windows 7.

FYI
Vista was 6.0
XP was 5.1
2000 was 5.0
NT4 was 4
Windows ME, 98 and 95 are variations of good old DOS and dont count in Windows versions
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

It's just a touch screen GUI added to Vista 1.1 (i.e. Windows 7) , to make Vista 1.2 (Windows 8). :twisted:

Thank you for the feedback. Good to hear about FAH running on Windows 8, but I didn't expect any problems with what appears to be a minor Windows release.
Last edited by 7im on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

7im wrote:It's just a touch screen GUI added to Vista 1.1 (i.e. Windows 7) , to make Vista 1.2 (Windows 8). :twisted:

Thank you for the feedback. Good to hear about FAH running on Windows 8, but I didn't expect any problems with minor Windows release.
I always heard that Windows 7 is just Windows Vista that works. ;)
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

bruce wrote: I always heard that Windows 7 is just Windows Vista that works. ;)
Well said Bruce, well said indeed. :wink:
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Yes, I have seen the same thing. Let's hope Win8 keeps the streak alive.
Mactin

Post by Mactin »

Now we have to add to the v7 feature list to fit in a Win8 Tile. :-)
kg4icg

Post by kg4icg »

That is possible since they do include a developers kit with the download if you should want it.
7im

Post by 7im »

Interesting idea, but certainly a very low priority to develop for an unreleased OS. Getting V7 to production level is a much higher priority. ;)
angelin

Post by angelin »

My guess is it'll be around as the most up-to-date Windows on the market for about 4 years. It'll take some time to overtake Windows7 which it will inevitably do, and in much the same way that Windows7 has just done.

People make a big song and dance about WindowsXP having a longer life than other Windows' but people forget that Windows XP SP2 is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to Windows XP vanilla. The original didn't have any wireless drivers (because wifi didn't exist), didn't have RAID, didn't have PAE (and therefore no DEP). It didn't support large disks or HD graphics or service isolation and it basically looked and felt like Windows 2000 with blue bubbles round the windows. It's easy to forget, particularly when it's convenient to your argument to do so.

Microsoft's progression of OS's is really much more like:

Windows 95 (lasted about 4 years)
Windows 98 (lasted about 4 years)
Windows 2000 (lasted about 4 years)
Windows XP vanilla (lasted about 4 years)
Windows XP SP2 (lasted about 4 years)
Windows Vista (lasted about 4 years)
Windows 7 (currently holding at 2 years)
Windows 8

Sometimes it feels like there is a large number of people on the internet who just yell "CHANGE! CHANGE! WE DON'T LIKE CHANGE!!!" at absolutely everything Microsoft does and it does get a bit tiring after a while.
kg4icg

Post by kg4icg »

Life is full of change, to deny is to close your eyes to reality only to come back on you full circle. Since using Win 8 dev preview, I have only shutdown the system maybe 2 times for hardware change and a update. Other than that it has been purring along like happy kittens. Even done a few big WU's. Running on I7-920 clocked at 3.8 GHz with 6gb ddr3-1600.
reboot

Windows 8 preview

Post by reboot »

History.... Intel 6400 dual core 2.13 ghz, ATI 4850.
Hard drive problem led to new drive and clean install of Win xp pro sp3, with latest AMD Catalyst 12.2 updated to 12.3. Installed 6.23 GPU client but could not get it to work, kept crashing as soon as folding. Visited forums and tried everything suggested but to no avail, i.e. different drivers, catalyst etc. Had a problem trying Catalyst 10*, would not install as no drivers found ????.
installed V7.1.50 same problem so tried V7.1.52 . The smp2 runs fine but again gpu crashes as soon as loaded.
This may be a Windows XP problem ?.
Partitioned drive and installed Windows 8 preview on 2nd partition, loaded netfx 3.5 then catalyst 12.2 and F@h V7.1.52. exactly the same problem smp2 folds fine(a little faster), but gpu keeps crashing .

I would recommend Windows 8 ( if you are used to using windows 7 and an ipad ) but there's a lot to learn. Anyway good thing is V7.1.52 installs and works with it, except for me, no GPU folding.
SASinUtah

Re: Windows 8 preview

Post by SASinUtah »

kg4, is there a performance gain with Win8, and does it correspond to a performance gain with F@H? Better scheduler, reduced software overhead, etc? Have you heard in any Win8 forums if the AMD FX series is better supported?