folding@home major glitch [very large fahlog.txt file]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

pts2800

folding@home major glitch [very large fahlog.txt file]

Post by pts2800 »

okay i thought i resovled this folding@home glitch but i dident, i thought it was because i had my memery sick in my computer, but it happened again, with nothing pluged in

basicly holding@home is taking up 23.1GB of space on my computer. which doesnt seem right. on a 500gb hard drive i probably wouldn't notice it but on a 40gb hard drive it makes a big difference. any ideas, i dont wanna uninstall it but i have to if this keeps up.

screen shot of how much it is taken up.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: folding@home major glitch

Post by toTOW »

What file is taking so much space :?: :eo

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

I have 2 clients on this laptop. My folders are 14MB and 34MB. The number of files you have looks right. Check the size of the work folder and each of your files to find out what is taking so much space. It's probably the work folder.

Try posting a screen shot of the contents of the work folder.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

toTOW wrote:What file is taking so much space :?: :eo
I'll put my money on the FAHlog.txt.
There has been couple reports of gigantic FAHlog.txt, but the exact cause of this phenomenon is not known.
It will be good to know what WU it was processing or even better is a copy of the FAH client folder.
Just delete the FAHlog.txt file and you'll get the lost disk space back.
pts2800

Post by pts2800 »

Ivoshiee wrote: There has been couple reports of gigantic FAHlog.txt, but the exact cause of this phenomenon is not known.
It will be good to know what WU it was processing or even better is a copy of the FAH client folder.
well you where right it was the FAHlog.txt
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

pts2800 wrote:
Ivoshiee wrote: There has been couple reports of gigantic FAHlog.txt, but the exact cause of this phenomenon is not known.
well you where right it was the FAHlog.txt
This is one of those known-unknown errors what will never get fixed - I've seen about 1 report in every 2 years about this. To catch and diagnose such a rare event is unlikely.

It will prove helpful if you can provide as much information as possible about your system, OS, FAH client, WU etc.
Do you know what WU it was?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Ivoshiee wrote:It will prove helpful if you can provide as much information as possible about your system, OS, FAH client, WU etc.
Also, what messages did you see filling FAHlog.txt?
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

bruce wrote:
Ivoshiee wrote:It will prove helpful if you can provide as much information as possible about your system, OS, FAH client, WU etc.
Also, what messages did you see filling FAHlog.txt?
This one time when I had a chance to look into one of those gigantic FAHlog.txt files then strangely enough it wasn't filled by random data, but by "perfectly legal stuff" - the FAH client log header. I do not recall as seeing anything about the WU progress, but only the log header in every shape and form. At the beginning there was the whole header repeated countless times, but over the course of the file this phrase was shortened bit by bit to just plain row of "#"-marks.
anko1
Hardware configuration: Old Faithful CPU: Windows Graphical 5.03; Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540
(3.2GHz) HT;Windows XP
Big Red: Windows SMP Console 6.29; Windows GPU console 6.20r1; Intel Q9450 2.66G; ASUS P5Q 775 P45; [BFG 9800GTX+ old graphics card] NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX [as of 5/9/09]; Windows XP Pro SP3
Lenovo Think Pad: Windows 6.29 w/ SMP; Windows GPU Console 6.20r1 systray; Intel QX9300; NVIDIA Quadro FX-3700M; Windows XP Professional

Post by anko1 »

I saw somewhere else that the log resets at 50 something or other (someone was wondering why their log kept getting cut off) when the client restarts. So conversely, if you have a service client and you never shut down your computer, wouldn't your log grow indefinitely? I'm thinking of stopping and restarting my console client (service mode) [using the service.msc of course - you all have taught me a couple of things. :wink: ] just to get my log back to a manageable size.

ed: or, duhhh, can I just go in and delete the contents of the log?
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Post by Ivoshiee »

anko1 wrote:I saw somewhere else that the log resets at 50 something or other (someone was wondering why their log kept getting cut off) when the client restarts. So conversely, if you have a service client and you never shut down your computer, wouldn't your log grow indefinitely? I'm thinking of stopping and restarting my console client (service mode) [using the service.msc of course - you all have taught me a couple of things. :wink: ] just to get my log back to a manageable size.
Without this mentioned "bug" the FAH client does not produce large FAHlog.txt file. You can safely run it a year or two and still the FAHlog.txt is nothing to complain about.
ed: or, duhhh, can I just go in and delete the contents of the log?
Yes, you can just delete the FAHlog.txt..
anko1
Hardware configuration: Old Faithful CPU: Windows Graphical 5.03; Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540
(3.2GHz) HT;Windows XP
Big Red: Windows SMP Console 6.29; Windows GPU console 6.20r1; Intel Q9450 2.66G; ASUS P5Q 775 P45; [BFG 9800GTX+ old graphics card] NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX [as of 5/9/09]; Windows XP Pro SP3
Lenovo Think Pad: Windows 6.29 w/ SMP; Windows GPU Console 6.20r1 systray; Intel QX9300; NVIDIA Quadro FX-3700M; Windows XP Professional

Post by anko1 »

Thanks for the info.

edit: Do I delete the file? Will it create a new file? I tried to delete just part of the file and when I try to close it, I get the message, "Text in the ....FAHlog.txt file has been changed. Do you want to save it?" When I click "Yes" I get the message, "Cannot create ...FAHlog.txt file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct."
Last edited by anko1 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

Ivoshiee wrote:
anko1 wrote:...can I just go in and delete the contents of the log?
Yes, you can just delete the FAHlog.txt..
Anko1~ If I understood your question, you wanted to know if one can empty/delete the log file when the service is running. The answer to that is no.

But as Ivoshiee mentioned, the log file size, under normal circumstances, is nothing to be concerned about.
anko1
(3.2GHz) HT;Windows XP

Post by anko1 »

Thanks, yes that was my question (can I delete part of the log while the service is running). In my case I'm not worried about the size. It's just the ease of keeping track of my WU's so I don't have to scroll down so far.