Weird issue - Not sure where to post

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ChelseaOilman

Re: Weird issue - Not sure where to post

Post by ChelseaOilman »

[22:49:24] - User name: blaccbox (Team )
Are you editing the client.cfg file instead of using the -config or -configonly flag? There's no team # at all. You should at least use team 0.
blacckbox

Post by blacckbox »

I don't remember how I got that team #, but it has no meaning to me. It must have been assigned to me when I started F@H back in 02 or 03. I simply entered it in the control panel under my user name. I thought it kept all my stats together in aggregate, and now that I'm uploading without it I see that it doesn't really matter.

>>Are you editing...

I'm not editing anything. I just deleted the team number in the control panel. I'll enter team 0 for all my clients.

That team number was in use for many years, might anyone know why it suddenly quit working?
ChelseaOilman

Post by ChelseaOilman »

blacckbox wrote:I don't remember how I got that team #, but it has no meaning to me. It must have been assigned to me when I started F@H back in 02 or 03.
Maybe it was your Genome@home number. You were overall rank #604 when G@H shut down.
http://gah.stanford.edu/userstats.html
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Team #1885016621 should have became an invalid team number in 2004 when GAH ended.

Not sure how it was allowed to continue receiving points all this time...? And sorry I didn't catch that sooner. Glad another old timer did. Old problems like this aren't at the top of the list for troubleshooting any more. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

7im wrote:Team #1885016621 should have became an invalid team number in 2004 when GAH ended.

Not sure how it was allowed to continue receiving points all this time...? And sorry I didn't catch that sooner. Glad another old timer did. Old problems like this aren't at the top of the list for troubleshooting any more. ;)
:roll: There's a list???? :shock:
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Was a list, mine. ;) Diggin' deep in to the darkness for this one... 1885016621 is too many digits long. Longest Fah team #s are 6 digits at most.

We had the same problem with the Google Compute Team numbers. Stay on the old v3 client, or upgrade to v4 and change team numbers. Or was it v4 to v5? Eh, water long under the bridge...
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
blacckbox

Post by blacckbox »

I had no idea the stats from G@H were still up. It's great that site is still there and unchanged from years ago. One thing that I really liked about that project was the ease in which one could run the program on a computer that wasn't connected to the internets. I remember swapping out new and completed WUs on a floppy.

It's entirely possible that team number is an artifact from the G@H days. It's outta there now, never to be used again.
remnokc

Post by remnokc »

Just wanted to say that this has been my issue also since aprox 18Mar2010. I too had an old nine digit (474873005) team number that had been automatically registered to me in the distant past. I used the -configonly flag to change my team number to 'team=0' in two machines and immediately, they started folding -- great thread ! Thanks for figuring this out.
blacckbox

Post by blacckbox »

I was a little surprised noone else was reporting problems. A friend suggested that maybe F@H had folded all the molecules there were.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

blacckbox wrote:I was a little surprised noone else was reporting problems. A friend suggested that maybe F@H had folded all the molecules there were.
:D While it would be possible to fold all the projects currently on the servers, I think the whole Pande Group would have to fall into unnoticed comas for like a year for that to happen. We're certainly nowhere near getting through every protein known to man- I don't know if, even with expected advancements in computing power, the project as a whole could get even a small portion of the total number of proteins in existence in our lifetimes (I have a very poor sense of scale regarding the number of potentially interesting proteins to investigate). Rest assured, as long as there are useful results to warrant the funding, running out of WUs will not be a problem.
blacckbox

Post by blacckbox »

I'm glad to see a smiley there since that was not a serious comment. I suspect only spintronics could really put a big dent in these computational problems. I could really use some qbits myself right about now!!
remnokc

Post by remnokc »

remnokc wrote:Just wanted to say that this has been my issue also since aprox 18Mar2010. I too had an old nine digit (474873005) team number that had been automatically registered to me in the distant past. I used the -configonly flag to change my team number to 'team=0' in two machines and immediately, they started folding -- great thread ! Thanks for figuring this out.
opps, sorry :eo ment 18 March 2011... my bad