Bonus for A4 projects; upgrade to v6.34/v7!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Bonus for A4 projects; upgrade to v6.34/v7!

Post by bruce »

I treat it as a necessary component but I intentionally minimize it's use for the same reasons you suggest.

Unfortunately if either V6 or V7 encounter a serious error, they can dump a lot of WUs before you notice it. You need some kind of monitoring. FAHClient can be run either with it's console log appearying in a text screen (as per the V6 console) or without any visible log. You can "tail" the console yourself or you can let FAHClient do that.

Once you've got everything running the way you want it to, you can use it essentially the way you've been using -configonly except that it isn't managed by a text-based application. That should be rare enough that the total overhead doesn't add up to much.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Aardvark wrote:Thanks bruce. I will proceed on the basis that FAHControl will remain as part of the "agenda". It sounds like v7 was planned with that as a necessary component.
I would put it more that V7 was created with separate components handling specific functions instead of as a monolithic application. FAHControl was created to fill its portion of functions, but it can potentially replaced. There is an interface defined and posted for a third party programmers to create replacements for the FAHControl component. That is here, https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... eInterface. So far none have been made available, but perhaps in the future.

As for running FAHClient directly from the command line, one person posted several months ago about doing so successfully, but did not give full details. Mostly he was doing so to get around the issues with FAHControl and OS X 10.7. Since I have one Mac that I am planning on trying out 10.7 on, I may investigate that approach later this Summer when I take some vacation time.
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAHControl is open source and if you so desire, you can replace it with something that performs the same functions without a GUI using the same communications with FAHClient. If you replace my earlier use of the word "service" with "backend program" maybe it makes more sense. FAHClient performs the functions needed to fold and FAHControl (or a substitute for it) provides a user-friendly interface between the Donor and and FAHClient.
artoar_11
Hardware configuration: AMD R7 3700X @ 4.0 GHz; ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING; DDR4 2x8GB @ 3.0 GHz; GByte RTX 3060 Ti @ 1890 MHz; Fortron-550W 80+ bronze; Win10 Pro/64

Post by artoar_11 »

I just want to ask. I am currently on all computers with V6.34 (Win7/Ubuntu). Will I receive WUs with Core_a4, or to put V7? Comment here that V6.34 will receive mixed a4/a3. Or my translation error :)
I will warn my colleagues from the team.

A month ago I installed V7 of Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04. I tried a few days and went back to V6.34 :?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The answer is that v6.34 is capable of folding both a3 and a4 work units. It is nearly impossible to predict what clients will download which work unit types. In the current mix of clients and mix of work units, V7 clients tend to get a higher number of a4 work units.

However, that mix of clients (v5, v6, V7) will be changing very quickly over the next few days as many people upgrade their client in an attempt to get the a4 work units with a bonus. That changing mix makes it difficult to predict what the future holds.

The easy answer is that V7 is the future. You will have to upgrade eventually. Is upgrading later better than upgrading now?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
rbpeake
Hardware configuration: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8500, dual 3.16GHz cores, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB (45nm); 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM; 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GT Video Card

Post by rbpeake »

7im wrote:The answer is that v6.34 is capable of folding both a3 and a4 work units...
A bit confused....then what is the purpose of the notice about switching to V7 to accommodate the a4 units if v.6.34 can already run them? I thought a4 was only able to run on V7 and hence the plea to switch to V.7 and btw we will give you bonus points to encourage you do do so..... :e?:
Macaholic
Site Moderator

Post by Macaholic »

rbpeake wrote:
7im wrote:The answer is that v6.34 is capable of folding both a3 and a4 work units...
A bit confused....then what is the purpose of the notice about switching to V7 to accommodate the a4 units if v.6.34 can already run them? I thought a4 was only able to run on V7 and hence the plea to switch to V.7 and btw we will give you bonus points to encourage you do do so..... :e?:
The blog post was actually an announcement about the soon to be implemented bonus for A4 projects and it was recommended that users switch to v6.34 or greater. Emphasis for the greater (v7) especially on the Windows platform;
The A4 core is not compatible with Clients below version 6.34 and many donors are still running these older Client versions.
We strongly encourage Windows users to update to the much improved V7 Client. Although F@h Client v6.34 or newer is sufficient to participate for any supported operating system.
Fold! It does a body good!™
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Please read the announcement again. It does not say a4s are for V7 only.

Your client will get a higher number of a4s work units if that client is V7.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

And there is an important point that does not seem to get mentioned in this discussion. A version 6.34a3 core has not been produced for the OSX platform. The only way to get to the a4core WUs is to make the upgrade to Version 7.
What is past is prologue!
bruce

Post by bruce »

This topic started out talking about the bonus for A4 projects. At some point, it diverged to talking about who might upgrade to V6.34 and who might upgrade to V7. I've tried to split those posts into a separate discussion topic: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=22102

For the purpose of this discussion (the bonus), EITHER one will work -- you can choose.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

bruce, It is probably a good thing to split the discussion BUT I don't know which pond I should fish in. I am not against v7. I just made the shift from v6 (OSX) and it is working well. What I do want is a OSX Console Option that can be run strictly from the Command Line (Apple Terminal). If the rest of the world gets a console option, why not the OSXers also??? It would seem that PG should be enthusiastic about providing the folding option that requires the least overhead. Not doing so defies logic, IMHO.

Any suggestion about which pond the OSXers should fish in???
What is past is prologue!
bruce

Post by bruce »

This topic is focused on the announcement about the A4 bonus and how to get it. Since OS-X has no V6.34 client you can choose between running the present V7 client at it present stage of beta development or you can forego the A4 projects entirely.

If you're interested in discussing some future possibilities for the the V7 client go to the other topic. Dr Pande asked a specific question about Linux, but to some extent, the future of V7 for OS-X is still being written and the title I gave it was independent of the OS platform.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

bruce wrote:If you're interested in discussing some future possibilities for the the V7 client go to the other topic. Dr Pande asked a specific question about Linux, but to some extent, the future of V7 for OS-X is still being written and the title I gave it was independent of the OS platform.
If you were looking for discussion independent of the OS, might I suggest a location other than V7 - Windows install questions would be more appropriate. That location puts much that would be discussed outside the apparent purpose of that sub-forum.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

The bonus is now in effect: http://folding.typepad.com/news/2012/07 ... ffect.html
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

Why am I getting only A3 (non-bonus) projects?

Code: Select all

01:37:50:          CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
01:37:50:       CPU ID: AuthenticAMD Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1
01:37:50:         CPUs: 2
01:37:50:       Memory: 2.00GiB
01:37:50:  Free Memory: 1.05GiB
01:37:50:      Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
01:37:50:   On Battery: false
01:37:50:   UTC offset: -7
01:37:50:          PID: 1124
01:37:50:          CWD: C:/Users/Network Admin/AppData/Roaming/FAHClient
01:37:50:           OS: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1