New to folding , Points/ work type question

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: New to folding , Points/ work type question

Post by bruce »

Joe_H wrote:It will take more than just pausing and unpausing the slot since the WU for Core_18 has already been downloaded. As I recall from the last time a similar issue came up, you will probably have to delete the GPU slot and recreate it. In addition you might have to remove the downloaded WU from your work folder as it could be retained by the client to run on the other GPU slot.
On a machine with one GPU, removing the slot and recreating it will also delete the WU since the client will delete any WUs that can't be matched to slots.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

I'd say, if the core was actually DL'ed and is defective, then what is needed is to stop the client and delete the core
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Neither apply in this case as the machine in question has two GPU's and slots and in addition the problem was that the core was not downloaded at all. Since the second slot has the same type of GPU, the WU would probably be retained as suitable for running in that slot's queue.

The manager for the projects has posted that the core has been put in place for downloading, so the problem should now be solved. The client should be able to download Core_18, let us know if that does not happen.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bob_b
Hardware configuration: I7-3970X Extreme, 6 core (overclocked to 4.5Mhz all cores ) 32Gb 1888mhz Ram, Intel 730 480Gb SSD, Two Zortac Amp! GTX 780 Ti's (overclocked to 1175 Mhz) Water cooled Windows 8.1

Post by bob_b »

Well at the moment I deleted and then re-added the stuck GPU and it's working on a New WU but.... the Core_18 is still in my work queue so I suspect as soon as it is done this job it will try and download the job in the queue ... I'll let you all know in a few hours

thanks
bob_b
Hardware configuration: I7-3970X Extreme, 6 core (overclocked to 4.5Mhz all cores ) 32Gb 1888mhz Ram, Intel 730 480Gb SSD, Two Zortac Amp! GTX 780 Ti's (overclocked to 1175 Mhz) Water cooled Windows 8.1

Post by bob_b »

Ok, overnight the core_18 in the work queue got folded.. everything looks normal.. all systems go and folding. Thank you everyone. I also know know where to look on this board for known issues and issues being worked on
bob_b

Post by bob_b »

To close out this thread... I am averaging ~ 540,000 PPD for a week now.. Both my GPU's have been getting Core_17 jobs one after another and they do them in about 7 hours.

I know the points don't matter, but I hope my drop in the bucket will help. To me ( a retired engineer ) GPU's as they get fast and cheaper are going to really raise folding to a new level
kyleb
Pande Group Member

Post by kyleb »

Thanks Bob and happy retirement!
bob_b

Post by bob_b »

Question to anyone who knows... prior to the new AS software my CPU & 2 GPU's ( 770 Ti's ) received what seemed to be random wu's.. mostly x17 but x15 too here and there... different projects.. i would look each up.. it was interesting to see all the work going on

now i seem to get only endless x15 project 7624 on my GPU's every 4 hours... " This project is the simulation of CheY "

Is there anything I can do on my side to go back to random project assignments ?
bruce

Post by bruce »

bob_b wrote:Is there anything I can do on my side to go back to random project assignments ?
Be patient.

I expect this will be resolved by updates to the server code or server configurations.
bob_b

Post by bob_b »

Another day of CHEY lol ..

I know it seems like everyone is upset but i assume if we ALL fold X15 Wu's at some point they will be complete and then someone will invent core x19 with TRIPLE Bonus points and no one will want poor eol' x17's anymore lol !!!
bruce

Post by bruce »

bob_b wrote:Another day of CHEY lol ..

I know it seems like everyone is upset but i assume if we ALL fold X15 Wu's at some point they will be complete and then someone will invent core x19 with TRIPLE Bonus points and no one will want poor eol' x17's anymore lol !!!
I appreciate the fact that you're being semi-sarcastic, but it's highly unlikely that bonuses will be increased. In the 14 years that FAH has been running, there have only been two methods of assigning points: A QuickReturnBonus and No bonuses. All projects that were started before bonuses were adopted, still use the method that was originally used for those projects.
bob_b

Post by bob_b »

Well I have been folding for about 10-11 weeks, still consider myself new and other than the week that the new AS software had some issue's it's been a little maintenance but not much.

What I don't understand is when I started my donor rank was 1,745,045 and now I am ranked 1.986 .... like Whoa !!!! from last place to almost the upper 1% in such a short time. Do people fold a little, get bored and quit ? Is my machine just doing superman duty ?

There may be a culture note somewhere explaining all this, if there is, please point me to it.

bob
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Don't forget to look after the number of WU from those donors you pass in the stats. Some of the have 10'000th of WU with just around few million points. Reason: those are early donors from times w/or nice GPU and QRB; from times where a successful WU got you single-digit amount of points.
Since they stopped folding, didn't upgade their hardware for long time, changed user IDs or whatever reason for being inactive you run over them with your current setup. Makes a pure comparison after points too simple; compare also number of WU to get the points a better context.
On the external stat sites you can easy sort by columns (daily/weekly production rate, finished WU, time joined the project); it helps to understand your own contribution better.
Oh, and your progress will slow down ... The donors in front of you now also have some good setup. :wink:
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
bob_b

Post by bob_b »

Thank you Christian, Yes my progress has slowed to about -50 a day in the donor rank. As GPU's get faster and more efficient, they process more faster... which is a good thing when your trying to solve how to cure cancer and other diseases. I feel good that when I sleep my Pc crunches away and although my contribution is drops in a bucket, with thousands of other folks adding their drops we can help make a difference and the cost is only the electricity