FAH on mobile devices [Android 4.4+ Only for now]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

fangfufu
Hardware configuration: 4 cores on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

Re: FAH on mobile devices [Sony Only]

Post by fangfufu »

Why is this Sony only anyway? I have a Nexus 5, I want to fold on my phone as well.
Folding with 4 cores on Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

I first started folding back in the Google Compute days!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: FAH on mobile devices [Sony Only]

Post by Joe_H »

Because it was a collaboration with Sony to create the client to run on the version of Android on some models of their phones. See the blog post - https://folding.stanford.edu/home/new-i ... n-android/. As stated by Dr. Pande on the F@H reddit, it should come to other Android devices - https://www.reddit.com/r/foldingathome/ ... r_android/.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
VeixES

Re: FAH on mobile devices [Sony Only for now]

Post by VeixES »

Out for all https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dcomputing
fangfufu
Hardware configuration: 4 cores on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

Post by fangfufu »

You can't set your user name / passkey, and team name. :(
Folding with 4 cores on Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

I first started folding back in the Google Compute days!
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

not working for my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet ... ;-(
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Rel25917

Post by Rel25917 »

Needs better time management options, start and end times. Also needs a fold when i open the app and tell it to fold button. And username for points would be nice.
Breach

Post by Breach »

Just saw that it's now available for non-Sony devices. Works fine on my S4. Not sure that the ARM "points" can translate into FAH points so that mapping to a user/team can be done, but being able to start/stop manually is a must IMHO.
Windows 11 x64 / 5800X@5Ghz / 32GB DDR4 3800 CL14 / 4090 FE / Creative Titanium HD / Sennheiser 650 / PSU Corsair AX1200i
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Breach wrote:Just saw that it's now available for non-Sony devices.
Link?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Breach

Post by Breach »

7im wrote:
Breach wrote:Just saw that it's now available for non-Sony devices.
Link?
Google Play Store?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dcomputing

Previously it wasn't available to non-Sony devices, now I could get it.
Windows 11 x64 / 5800X@5Ghz / 32GB DDR4 3800 CL14 / 4090 FE / Creative Titanium HD / Sennheiser 650 / PSU Corsair AX1200i
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Oh, okay. Saw this on the Play site... very recent.

Updated: February 26, 2015

I was hoping PG had announced it somewhere instead of letting it slide by unnoticed.
Breach

Post by Breach »

Well, not sure I'll use that client during the night myself. Constant 100% CPU usage, LiIon battery at 100% charge and at 1900mA input charge is really stress testing the phone and sounds like a fire hazard to me. Maybe I'm paranoid after reading all these exploding battery stories though ;-)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Breach wrote:Well, not sure I'll use that client during the night myself. Constant 100% CPU usage, LiIon battery at 100% charge and at 1900mA input charge is really stress testing the phone and sounds like a fire hazard to me. Maybe I'm paranoid after reading all these exploding battery stories though ;-)
Maybe it's only "safe" on Sony phones.

Cooling of the home PC has gone through various stages. Well-designed PCs provide adequate cooling for 100% CPU + GPU. White-box computers and home-built don't necessarily consider the thermal design process essential. Phones probably have the same considerations.

I'll bet Sony learned that lesson with the PS3.
Breach

Post by Breach »

bruce wrote:
Breach wrote:Well, not sure I'll use that client during the night myself. Constant 100% CPU usage, LiIon battery at 100% charge and at 1900mA input charge is really stress testing the phone and sounds like a fire hazard to me. Maybe I'm paranoid after reading all these exploding battery stories though ;-)
Maybe it's only "safe" on Sony phones.

Cooling of the home PC has gone through various stages. Well-designed PCs provide adequate cooling for 100% CPU + GPU. White-box computers and home-built don't necessarily consider the thermal design process essential. Phones probably have the same considerations.

I'll bet Sony learned that lesson with the PS3.
I am not worried about the heat and the long-term effects to my phone's hardware - I am concerned that fully charged Li-Ion batteries and heat don't mix well (and heat is what you get from a 100% running CPU and a phone on a constant charge). Funny thing that you mentioned Sony though as I was about to refer to this article which is actually referring to them ;-) http://www.economist.com/blogs/economis ... xplains-19
7im

Post by 7im »

Folding wasn't the first to harness phones for processing (unlike previous fah's leading advances in to SMP, GPU, PS3, etc.) so any meltdowns from previous programs using phones would have been all over the internet by now.
BIG_RED

Post by BIG_RED »

Does the app work on lollipop I know my phone is cold to the touch?

Since I was posting I figured I would add that I have been running for a while and some things I would like to be looked at

1)I wish there was a way to tell if the program was actually working. My Note 4 is cold to the touch ccleaner says the battery temp is only 20 C. (user points maybe would fix the Q:how much work is my phone doing?)
2)I would like to set the temp my phone would get before pausing to cool down. (for those that want to make sure their phone won't get hurt and those that want their phone to work and trust android battery protection to kick in. where it will pause charging until it's cool enough)
3)I would like to set my own time range 6 hours is way to low.(7 day schedule would be nice)
4)I would like to set the battery percentage 100% can be default (you can use high usage of cpu/gpu and for an hour+ but if you just want to move your phone for just a minute it now just stops working)
5)Be able to work off WIFI either small WU and save to upload until connected to WIFI or just use cell data. (I am averaging 50 MB/computed day or what looks like it will be 1.5GB/ Month if working 24 hour/day.)
6)I would like to see the Android Client on the OSstats page with 55,000+ phones it should be(my phone gets 4.4 GFLOPS CPU only with RGBenchmm) ~200 GFlops(around windows) or if sonys 30 GFLOPS(has to use GPU to get this) per phone is to believed ~1650 GFLOPS(close to GPU level)