Folding on Android

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Folding on Android

Post by bruce »

I've explained the serial simulation problem previously in terms of a relay race. (You can search the forum.)

Bottom line: A running team cannot compete in a 20 mile relay race by letting 100 walkers cover the first 0.2 miles. Nobody ever reaches the end because nobody can start from the first 0.2 milepost until the first walker reaches that point. Many slow computers cannot make up for missing faster computers because the simulation, itself, is serial and you have to know how step N ends before anybody can start on step N+1.

Those 10 runners that can complete a mile in maybe 6 or 7 minutes are worth a lot more to the 20 mile relay race than any number of walkers. They can get the baton to the finish line in a couple of hours whereas none of the walkers will complete the course, no matter how long you give them. For FAH, speed is more important that simply completing a small bit of a WU.
poppakap

Post by poppakap »

Ok, good, because that wasn't my intention, it was (and is) to stir the pot.

I guess the short answer to that question is, 'not so much.' And so, I do have a lot to study up on. I am here merely out of burning curiosity. I have a very deep desire to understand the code aspect of this. It is absolutely fascinating, and yet is the science part that also drives me to learn more and more.

On the other hand, I do have a couple decades of heavy coding experience under my belt. And that is the part of me that's trying to push the envelope, if you will. I understand that there are many people in this field that are much more intelligent than I am and I'm fine with that, even at the risk of being laughed at.

If there is one thing that I have learned time and time again, it's that you have to question everything, like, I never say, 'no we can't do this and that.' There's always a way... it just hasn't been developed yet. And I promise you, as sure as I am breathing, there's a way to have devices all over the planet folding in harmony... even toasters if we wanted to.

And I'm going to make another statement that will be sure to infuriate many of those involved, and cause great commotion and ruckus, a rain of you-dont-know-wth-youre-talking-about replies; If the only answer is more hardware, then the software design needs another examination. There. I said it, that's right. Now everyone unleash their wrath! :-D
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Almost all of the FAHCores run based on code from Gromacs.org and requires SSE based code optimizations. Diving in head first over there (open source) would help explain a lot about folding.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
poppakap

Post by poppakap »

Hi bruce, I was looking at it as parallel race, in which all 100 walkers completed at their own speed.
If not, then why should I contribute anything? If I can only put out 2k per day, why bother at all when someone else can do 1 million?
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Because everything helps.
poppakap

Post by poppakap »

Thanks man, I was starting to feel a bit inadequate there for a moment. :-)
I'm curious how small a work unit can be, and if perhaps there were a way to assign the tiny ones to something like an android (in theory) and let the pc's and mass StorageForum.nets do the heavy lifting.
It does seem as though I get the smaller wu's < 5mb so I'm thinking there is already a sized-based assignment already built into the logic. I'm also curious as to the factors that determine the size, and what the data returned consists of. But, I'll do more research.
Gracias
poppakap

Post by poppakap »

I think I understand the factors now... disregard that part!
bruce

Post by bruce »

The science of Folding@home has various needs. A very important goal is to create very long trajectories in a short period of elapsed time. That means fast computers (faster than the best of today's technology allows) running continuously, so my example of a 20 mile relay race might actually be more like a cross-continent relay race than only 20 miles. To meet that objective, the speed of each leg of the journey is more important than the number of runners.

Nevertheless, that's not the only goal. There are other important goals that can be achieved in parallel, but there, too, speed is important.

More than ten years ago, FAH started with the computers of that day and eventually settled on a minimum platform of (more or less) a Pentium 4 or an Athlon. Hardware has made great strides since then, but there's still work that can be done by those computers (if anybody still has any).

Over the years, most of the development work has focused on newer/faster platforms which can be helpful on projects like a cross-continent relay race. Recently, however, there have been new development efforts that have focused on untapped resources nearer the low-end. My example of 100 walkers that can only manage 0.2 miles or maybe 1.0 miles can contribute useful work as long as the work assigned can be matched up to the effectivity of the hardware. FAH has not done a very good job at utilizing those walkers but I predict they soon will.

The NaCl client is a relatively new development. The current NaCl client only runs on Windows/Linux/MacOS inside of the Chrome browser. The WUs being assigned can be completed by those PCs in a hour or so rather than requiring continuous processing over several days, which is a boon to people who don't choose to fold 24x7. Stanford also has other developments in the pipeline but there's no prediction when they might surface or if they'll fit your objectives. Also, I'm not sure where the Android platform or the iPhone/iPad fits in processing power (compared to a low-end desktop/laptop PC) or whether there might be a plan to develop clients for either the CPU or the GPU on other operating systems.

Stanford rarely pre-announces their plans. I suggest you sign up for Tuesday's webinar and get the official word rather than my naive predictions about the future.
panthro1971-2

Is there a way to run NaCl in an Android mobile?

Post by panthro1971-2 »

Just wondering, because I will get an Android mobile.....Would be possible?
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Re: Is there a way to run NaCl in an Android mobile?

Post by P5-133XL »

Not yet.

While there is a pNaCl version, they do not have ARM support.
panthro1971-2

Post by panthro1971-2 »

Can not be done accesing the webpage only? Not installing the client per se
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

No, the code still needs specific processor instructions to run folding@home. The ARM chip doesn't have those cpu instructions, and the fah client hasn't been ported to ARM yet.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
panthro1971-2

Post by panthro1971-2 »

Oh ok.....Maybe in a future update then. Or maybe never..... :shock: ..... :?:
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

From this blog post (https://folding.stanford.edu/home/addin ... e-browser/):
Next steps. Finally, as many will probably notice, this opens the door to naturally moving Folding@home from the browser on a computer to a browser on a phone or tablet. We are actively investigating those possibilities.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

The most recent information I've seen is that the simultaneously keeping a guest application (like a FAHCore) in the sandbox (to prevent malware apps) is going to be very difficult in Android. "The interprocess communication model is extremely different on Android and since NaCl must reside in it's own separate process... there are lot of tricky pieces which will need to be implemented in completely different way on Android."

This was 9 months go and I'm not aware of any recent progress from the Developers at Chrome.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... EZP458cVQY

If anybody has more recent news, please post it.