Folding @ Home on Android.[Tablet]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Spud1200

Folding @ Home on Android.[Tablet]

Post by Spud1200 »

Would it be possible to F@H on Nvidias Shield Tablet. If so what could you expect from this, being a tablet for gamers with a dedicated GPU and a Android OS. What about PPD, TPF per WU and Power Consumption, and finally keeping it charged.
bruce

Re: Folding @ Home on Android.[Tablet]

Post by bruce »

See Where to get support for Folding@Home on Android

We can hope that tablets such as yours will be supported by a future version of the client but I have not seen any information confirming that it will happen, and if so, when. I certainly would try it if you have Android 4.4 (KitKat) or above.

It's also reasonable to assume that Points will be supported in future versions. For the time being, it is provides a way to contribute to curing disease.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

My Asus/Google Nexus 7 (2013) is able to run the Sony Android client, so it is not JUST Sony phones at this point. I am running Android 5.1 but I think it worked under 4.4 as well.
It runs between midnight and 6 AM when my tablet is on a high current charger and is fully charged. No points, no user id, no GPU, I sure hope they support multiple CPUs.

(I do not expect User IDs or Points unless FAH goes to fractional points instead of the current integer points. An ARM CPU is not very strong. Six hours a day of CPU time may not BE one point)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

No luck on that Nexus under 4.4 for me; can install but no folding. viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=100&t=27593
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

I had no luck for some time as i normally charge from a USB cable hooked to a PC, and that is not enough. It has to be a high capacity charger, I have not made any USB work.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

JimboPalmer wrote:My Asus/Google Nexus 7 (2013) is able to run the Sony Android client, so it is not JUST Sony phones at this point. I am running Android 5.1 but I think it worked under 4.4 as well.
It runs between midnight and 6 AM when my tablet is on a high current charger and is fully charged. No points, no user id, no GPU, I sure hope they support multiple CPUs.

(I do not expect User IDs or Points unless FAH goes to fractional points instead of the current integer points. An ARM CPU is not very strong. Six hours a day of CPU time may not BE one point)
That's good to know.

I'm reasonably confident that the FAHCore supports multiple CPUs, but don't have any official information.

I think it's fair to assume FAH will not go to fractional points. Not long ago they switched from 31-bit integers to 64-bit integers when the stats threatened to overflow.