Can't detect charging on Nexus 5.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

adriang63

Can't detect charging on Nexus 5.

Post by adriang63 »

I have a Nexus 5 running Android running 5.1.1. On the charger I normally carry with me, your android application doesn't seem to recognize that my phone is charging. I see the lightning bolt in the battery one my phone's status bar, and Folding@Home eventually recognizes that my phone is charged, but it never shows the charging icon as green. I have found that Folding@Home does recognize that I'm charging when I use a specific alternate charger, but there are other reasons why I chose the charger I normally carry with me.

This means you folks aren't getting as much CPU time from me as you could.

Thanks.

Adrian
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Can't detect charging on Nexus 5.

Post by Joe_H »

Pease use the links in the Where to Get Support topic in this sub-forum to contact the developers.

From the download page on Google:
Note: in order to be ready to contribute, your phone must be: (i) connected to a charger and fully charged (100%), and (ii) connected to a Wi-Fi network.
I suspect the charger you prefer to use is not recognized by your phone as getting it to 100% charged, that often is the case for chargers other than the one designed for your phone.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

On my Nexus 7 tablet, it needs quite a strong charger to fold steadily, the charger I use is strong enough to let it start folding, but not strong enough to keep it at 100% while folding.

Folding takes power, be it a PC, laptop, tablet or phone.

For years, folks wanted to fold on their phones, now that we have that, we experience all the reasons it is not practical.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

JimboPalmer wrote:For years, folks wanted to fold on their phones, now that we have that, we experience all the reasons it is not practical.
Yep. Two points

1) Even though folks were told that FAH could not run with battery power alone, it's hard to believe until you see it. FAH works poorly on battery powered computers and even less-well with the tiny battery in a phone or tablet. Keeping an external source of power is essential.

2) Even though those folks were told that it took a large number of phones to equal a single PC, they still begged for a phone-based client. I have not seen productivity figures for the phone client compared to other clients, but the total of all phones is going to be a lot less than the total of all PCs.