Problem with FAHControl connecting to remote system

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

drogue91

Problem with FAHControl connecting to remote system

Post by drogue91 »

I am running Folding@home v7.5.1 on two Windows 10 systems. FAHControl will connect to the remote system when I have a remote desktop session to that system, but it grays out and says Updating if I log out of the remote desktop. Any ideas about what to check?
bruce

Re: Problem with FAHControl connecting to remote system

Post by bruce »

You didn't specify Windows, but it's probably what you're running. FAH needs to stay logged on.

Microsoft recognizes that you GPU is directly associated with you ... the user that is displaying their desktop. (That's not a requirement on Linux.)

A WU that can be processed by your CPU can run as a service but the computer needs to continue to run. No progress can be made if your system is sleeping or otherwise not running. That means you'll need to disable most power saving features.
ajm

Post by ajm »

It will work fine if your distant machine is logged in with the same Microsoft account that you use for all your kits (locally and via remote desktop).
Then you just disconnect the remote desktop when you don't use it and FAH keeps the connection active.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

My experience is that Windows 10 will start folding a WU on the GPU when you're logged into remote desktop, and keep folding that WU after you disconnect, but after completing that WU it won't start a new WU until you connect again via Remote Desktop.

The way to solve this problem is to log in physically and then use something else than Remote Desktop (e.g. some kind of VNC service) to use the machine remotely. Or, stay logged in to it constantly with Remote Desktop.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
bruce

Post by bruce »

In support of gunnarre's comment, I've seen Microsoft's Remote Desktop do some funny things substituting different GPU drivers when it connects and disconnects. For this reason, it might not be the best tool to use.