FAH stopped on core download (See new topic)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

OntosChalmer

Re: FAH stopped on core download

Post by OntosChalmer »

bruce wrote:In my FAH Data directory, there's a subdirectory called cores. Inside of that, I have an old path starting with fahwebx.stanford.edu and a new path starting with cores.foldingathome.org. All of the cores that I've used over the years are still in the old path (unless I delete them). FAHClient is gradually downloading new copies into the new directory, depending on several factors, including what WU I've been assigned and how my slots are configured. Th creation of the new FAHCore files will NOT happen all at once.

If you pick any fahcore in fahwebx....(long path).../fahcore_xx.exe can you find a corresponding fahcore in cores....(longpath) .../FAHCore_xx.exe? If not, can you manually make a copy of it there without special permissions? That will test the permissions theory. Once you've eliminated that concern, the only other possibility is that your FAHClient.exe is unable to download and process the appropriate file. That's most likely a firewall issue.
I guess it's because I keep retrying my installs that I don't have this folder. I just retested, disabling my firewall and running both the Client and the Control in administrator mode. Still no change.
bruce wrote:Foldy has pointed to the only other possiblity I can think of. Download the appropriate file from this location. (FAHClient needs to do the same thing.) Then FAHClient should unpack the FAHCore_xx.exe and place it in the right location for your system. (I can't tell you what's wrong because it's working fine for me.)
I'm not sure how to do this part. I can download these files, but where do I put them?
bruce

Post by bruce »

It's not a matter of putting them in the rignt place. FAHClient needs to unpack the file. It looks like we've exhausted everything except maybe a bug in the code that unpacks the FAHCore. I'm talking to Development about that possibility.

If you still have one or more FAHCores in the trash ... or on another machine ... maybe you can figure out how to copy them into the location I described in my previous post. ... or maybe one of us can help if we know whether you're running Linux/Windows/Mac OS-X.

Otherwise you'll have to wait for Development look into the problem.
OntosChalmer

Post by OntosChalmer »

bruce wrote:It's not a matter of putting them in the rignt place. FAHClient needs to unpack the file. It looks like we've exhausted everything except maybe a bug in the code that unpacks the FAHCore. I'm talking to Development about that possibility.

If you still have one or more FAHCores in the trash ... or on another machine ... maybe you can figure out how to copy them into the location I described in my previous post. ... or maybe one of us can help if we know whether you're running Linux/Windows/Mac OS-X.

Otherwise you'll have to wait for Development look into the problem.
I'll keep that in mind. In the meantime, I'm just using the Chrome client. It won't leverage my GPU, but it's better than nothing.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Agreed.

It's better than nothing.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I have something you can try. It's just a wild guess.

In the FAH data directory, several files are created by the Install. One that MIGHT be missing a subdirectory called /cores. Try creating it yourself. The new FAHCore needs to download into a path that looks like
.../FAHClient/cores/cores.foldingathome.org/... and maybe the /cores has to exist before it can be populated.
OntosChalmer

Post by OntosChalmer »

bruce wrote:I have something you can try. It's just a wild guess.

In the FAH data directory, several files are created by the Install. One that MIGHT be missing a subdirectory called /cores. Try creating it yourself. The new FAHCore needs to download into a path that looks like
.../FAHClient/cores/cores.foldingathome.org/... and maybe the /cores has to exist before it can be populated.
That hasn't worked yet either. Currently, it's still trying and failing to, for a CPU WU:

Code: Select all

07:22:44:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/AVX/Core_a7.fah
07:22:44:WU00:FS00:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
07:22:44:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed reading core package header.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Some of these errors are a result of a server capacity limitation. When all the FAHCores were migrated to a new server, it meant that EVERBODY needed to download new cores when they were assigned a new WU, even if they've had a copy of the same FAHCore revision on their system for years. Some steps were taken to spread this jump in server load over several days. The demand has gradually been satisfied and the current load no longer exceeds the capabilities of the server.

It's not clear how many of you still have unresolved issues or what errors are being seen. I'm going to close this topic and create a new one with the same name. If you are still having trouble downloading a FAHCore, please re-post the information about your problem HERE.