New FAHClient

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Teknogroovin
Hardware configuration: 2 - EVGA 1080ti. 2 - EVGA 1080, 1 - EVGA 1050ti, 1 - EVGA 1050

Re: New FAHClient

Post by Teknogroovin »

Well found my issue with some help from TeamEVGA members. I ended up needing to do a full window install, now it's working fine.

Yavanius

Post by Yavanius »

bruce wrote:
Yavanius wrote:I can't get the advanced control to come up on Windows 10. It appears to load (looking at Task Mgr), but it never appears. Before, sometimes it would flake out and if I launched the web control and tried it again, it would load. I tried reinstalling it and that didn't cure it either. Might be coincidence but this seems to happened around this last big Windows Update.
1) Reinstalling FAHClient won't help if your problem is the drivers. When WindowsUpdate modifies the GPU drivers, it REMOVES the OpenCL drivers so FAH can't run GPU assignments. I've seen no reports that this will previent FAHControl from starting -- but it might-- or it might be symptoms of another issue.

Yes, FAHControl should run, but that won't prevent you from posting your log. You need to find it on your disk using the instructions in the signature block of my first post on this page.
I don't run the GPU on this one. While capable, it's just not worth the time. I'm thinking I might just reinstall Windows. For some reason, the boot time has gotten unbearable on here and it's thrashing the hard drive for some time after even logging in and I don't think it's worth any more time trying to track down all the issues. Also, I can't seem to update the nVidia driver past the January release. GeForce Experience and trying to do it manually just are unable to install. I'd tried uninstalling the current version to install a newer one and it still wouldn't install. I barely managed to get the old one back on.

As for the log, I just wanted to see if anybody had any ideas off-hand. Still relatively new to Folding so don't know all the tricks to solve issues yet. ;)

Thanks,

Yavanius
bruce

Post by bruce »

What do you mean " running F@H in Admin mode." What steps are you using to start FAHClient -- or is it starting automatically?

FAH should not require admin privileges except for a minute or so during installation and it should ask for your permission to do that.
momus_98
Hardware configuration: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Post by momus_98 »

I have one admin account for installation and maintenance, but do my routine computer activity as a Standard (Limited) user. During F@H installation I sign into my Admin account, I select "Custom Install", and set the client to start manually, but leave everything else as default. I sign out then sign into to my Standard account, copy the shortcut the installer has created to my desktop, right click on it and select "Run as Administrator". I've been doing it this way for years without issue until just recently.
"The points don't matter. The points are like a $20 bill that Tiger Woods finds in a jacket he hasn't worn in awhile." - Drew Carey, Whose Line is it Anyway?
Yavanius

Post by Yavanius »

Well, I went ahead and did a reset. Looks like I cleared out all the crud that was bogging down Windows and screwing up the advanced client from launching. Only issue is viewer isn't connecting (manual / screensaver). A quick search on this indicates it could just be the protein, so I will see if it works correctly when I get a new one in a day or so. If not, I'll drop the log here.

The only downside was when Windows removed F@H, it also dumped the protein that was in progress as well as my user info. Don't know if this is normal uninstall or because Windows dumped it. On BOINC the project and user related files aren't dumped so you can easily just install a newer or older version right in and (assuming the client and config files are okay) BOINC will pick up the old configuration and project files.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

On a normal F@h uninstall the data files such as for a WU are retained. There is an option to also remove the data files, but that needs to be selected. So if you did not select that, the WU should have been retained.

That said, if the reinstall ended up with the location for the data files somewhere different, the WU would not be found by the client when it started up. Another possibility is if the slot was not created before folding was started, if there is no appropriate CPU or GPU slot the client will dump the WU. That might show up in the log created after the reinstall.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

I've installed FAH on a variety of Windows sytems (& Linux systems). In every case, which I installed software using a standare/limited account, the installation said that I needed admin permissions and asked me for the Userid/Password of an admin account. Once the installer is allowed to write programs into the approved directories, FAH runs using standard permissions. Your work-around to use admin permissions when actually RUNNING FAH shouldn'b be necessary as long as FAH was installed using the account that was going to run FAH.
Yavanius

Post by Yavanius »

bruce wrote:I've installed FAH on a variety of Windows sytems (& Linux systems). In every case, which I installed software using a standare/limited account, the installation said that I needed admin permissions and asked me for the Userid/Password of an admin account. Once the installer is allowed to write programs into the approved directories, FAH runs using standard permissions. Your work-around to use admin permissions when actually RUNNING FAH shouldn'b be necessary as long as FAH was installed using the account that was going to run FAH.
Clarification: What I was saying is since there seems to be an issue running when installing on one account and trying to run on a different account later is to switch the intended account to power user and then after verifying it runs, the account can be set back to a User or restricted access account.

However, I didn't say is that you may need Admin access after all. I just know in older versions of Windows a Power User account was generally sufficient to install programs. Logging in when prompted as admin should work as you say unless for some reason the prompt isn't coming up... you can always rely on Windows to muck up when you need to do something. ;) I'd go straight Linux on my other laptop, but I haven't had a chance to finish checking through various distros to find one I really like... but that's whole other discussion....
bruce

Post by bruce »

Nevertheless, if you log on as a power user, you establish a different environment that if you log on as the limited user from which you intend to run FAH. Then, you're totally responsible for any environmental changes that get made when you switch users. Momus_98 is attempting to compensate for those changes in environment -- and he may or may not succeed.
momus_98 wrote:I have one admin account for installation and maintenance, but do my routine computer activity as a Standard (Limited) user. During F@H installation I sign into my Admin account, I select "Custom Install", and set the client to start manually, but leave everything else as default. I sign out then sign into to my Standard account, copy the shortcut the installer has created to my desktop, right click on it and select "Run as Administrator". I've been doing it this way for years without issue until just recently.
On the other hand, if he installs as his normal user and the installer recognizes that he needs elevated privileges, all he needs to know is the user/password of someone whose privileges he can borrow. The environment doesn't change ... ONLY the permission required to install the software and that change is temporary. Perpetually running FAH with administrative permissions is an UNNECESSARY security risk when all he needs is access to the normal environment of his standard user. This should be avoided:
I sign out then sign into to my Standard account, copy the shortcut the installer has created to my desktop, right click on it and select "Run as Administrator".
momus_98
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Post by momus_98 »

I could be mistaken or the details have gone fuzzy over the years, but I seem to recall that earlier versions of F@H running on Windows XP didn't work correctly without elevated privileges, but all of these things are beside the point. I have been folding since nearly the start of the project's inception and have always run it in this manner without issue.

My problem now with the new version is that the program freezes upon startup; I cannot get a response when I right-click on the icon & Web Control reports that the client has stopped. The only way I can halt the program is to kill it using Task Manager. It was running just fine a few weeks ago, but isn't any longer. I posted my log entry hoping that would shed some light on what my issue was, but the conversation derailed into a discussion of privileges.

I've tried the idea proposed by Bruce: Installing it within my Standard user environment & only involving Admin rights when the installer needs it. The program still freezes upon startup. I will keep trying to figure this out myself, but for now I'm taking a break from the project until this can be sorted out.
"The points don't matter. The points are like a $20 bill that Tiger Woods finds in a jacket he hasn't worn in awhile." - Drew Carey, Whose Line is it Anyway?
bruce

Post by bruce »

When you start a program with a shortcut, there are two essential steps. One is to change from an arbitrary directory to a specific one and the other is to invoke the program. The properties of the shortcut will identify those two steps. That directory is established when FAH is installed and it's not the same if you're logged on to another UserID when you install.

According to your log you're trying to create files in C:\Users\EPH_Admin\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient which is absolutely WRONG when you're logged on to a different UserID than EPH_Admin. Files in C:\Users belong exclusively to one person.

I notice that the log you posted starts with two messages about (not configured). those two entries should ONLY appear the first time you run FAHClient because it configures them and then saves the results. If you get those messages again, that means that FAHClient is not able to write in the active directory. Moving the ADMIN shortcut to another user does not give you a shortcut with a usable directory. My guess is that your standard user -- even when running AS ADMIN -- does not have permissions to write in the active directory -- but I can't prove or disprove that assumption. (You have to do that.) Certainly FAHClient will "hang" if it cannot write the necessary information into the active directory.

Windows 10 has additional security "features" compared to WindowsXP.
FACT: Your method doesn't work whith those new features.

One alternative is for you to modify the shortcut to be identical to the one that WOULD HAVE BEEN CREATED if you had installed FAH when logged on as your standard user. You were logged on as EPH_Admin and it embedded that name into the shortcut. If you had been logged on as your standard user (I'm going to call him EPH-nonadmin), the installation would have embedded that name into the shortcut and the files created would have been owned by that user. Edit the shorcut that you moved from the admin folder and change the string C:\Users\EPH_Admin\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient/ that is currently in "start in" , replacing that name with the EPH-nonadmin who is going to be running FAH. Then duplicate the files that were created FAHClient in EPH_Admin's user directory into the user directoy belonging to EPH-nonadmin. Then also change the ownership of those files from EPH_Admin to be EPH-nonadmin. This will be complicated slightly by the fact that you're working in two hidden directories.

If you don't want to do all of that, I recommend you simply reinstall FAH when logged on as EPH-nonadmin but with admin privileges as I recommended earlier.
Yavanius

Post by Yavanius »

It's more like Windows 10 finally properly enforces security irregardless of which version you are using, no more sneaking around the guard dogs. ;)

In seriousness, the profile might not even be able to see the admin folder, assuming you haven't gone monkeying around with the permissions. IIRC, you shouldn't be able to by default see other user folders.
momus_98
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Post by momus_98 »

Bruce, I appreciate your trying to help & I apologize if my tone sounded snarky or rude. Tone is impossible to convey in text. I work 12 hour night shifts and didn't have time to properly follow your instructions. I realize this problem I'm having could be a host of things: I use Private Internet Access and their software was recently updated; could be a Malwarebytes update and it thinks F@H is malware; could be that I use a combination of Google DNS and Cloudflare DNS settings in my router (I've read that Cloudflare was blocking certain IP's recently by mistake). My statement about taking a break from the project stems from the fact that although my house is air conditioned, I live in Texas and running F@H during the day makes for a nice space heater; I hesitate to even boil water on the stove for my tea.

But I digress. I've installed the software as you suggested (I'm not new at this; I know my way around hidden folders). I was prompted for Admin credentials during the install (I am both the Admin and sole user of this PC), selected Custom setup, and changed the path for the data files. I even unchecked "Read Only" from the data files folder just in case.

Anyway, I have good news and bad: The client still does not respond as before (the bad), but it is working albeit *very* slowly. I can right click on it and a context menu will show up after several minutes. It seems to have downloaded a work unit, but isn't doing anything with it. So things are happening, but not very quickly. I've allowed the software to run for about 30 minutes and here is where we're at so far:

Code: Select all

*********************** Log Started 2018-07-04T21:43:55Z ***********************
21:43:55:************************* Folding@home Client *************************
21:43:55:        Website: https://foldingathome.org/
21:43:55:      Copyright: (c) 2009-2018 foldingathome.org
21:43:55:         Author: Joseph Coffland <joseph@cauldrondevelopment.com>
21:43:55:           Args: --open-web-control
21:43:55:         Config: C:\Users\harwe\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient\config.xml
21:43:55:******************************** Build ********************************
21:43:55:        Version: 7.5.1
21:43:55:           Date: May 11 2018
21:43:55:           Time: 13:06:32
21:43:55:     Repository: Git
21:43:55:       Revision: 4705bf53c635f88b8fe85af7675557e15d491ff0
21:43:55:         Branch: master
21:43:55:       Compiler: Visual C++ 2008
21:43:55:        Options: /TP /nologo /EHa /wd4297 /wd4103 /Ox /MT
21:43:55:       Platform: win32 10
21:43:55:           Bits: 32
21:43:55:           Mode: Release
21:43:55:******************************* System ********************************
21:43:55:            CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
21:43:55:         CPU ID: AuthenticAMD Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1
21:43:55:           CPUs: 12
21:43:55:         Memory: 15.95GiB
21:43:55:    Free Memory: 11.84GiB
21:43:55:        Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
21:43:55:     OS Version: 6.2
21:43:55:    Has Battery: false
21:43:55:     On Battery: false
21:43:55:     UTC Offset: -5
21:43:55:            PID: 5456
21:43:55:            CWD: C:\Users\harwe\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient
21:43:55:             OS: Windows 10 Enterprise
21:43:55:        OS Arch: AMD64
21:43:55:           GPUs: 1
21:43:55:          GPU 0: Bus:6 Slot:0 Func:0 AMD:5 Baffin [Polaris11]
21:43:55:           CUDA: Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'nvcuda.dll': The
21:43:55:                 specified module could not be found.
21:43:55:
21:43:55:OpenCL Device 0: Platform:0 Device:0 Bus:6 Slot:0 Compute:1.2 Driver:2580.6
21:43:55:  Win32 Service: false
21:43:55:***********************************************************************
21:43:55:<config>
21:43:55:  <!-- User Information -->
21:43:55:  <passkey v='********************************'/>
21:43:55:  <user v='harwelle'/>
21:43:55:
21:43:55:  <!-- Folding Slots -->
21:43:55:  <slot id='0' type='CPU'/>
21:43:55:  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
21:43:55:</config>
21:43:55:Trying to access database...
21:43:55:Successfully acquired database lock
21:43:55:Enabled folding slot 00: READY cpu:10
21:43:55:Enabled folding slot 01: READY gpu:0:Baffin [Polaris11]
21:43:55:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/AVX/Core_a7.fah
21:43:55:WU00:FS00:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
21:43:55:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_21.fah
21:43:55:WU01:FS01:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
21:44:55:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to read stream
21:44:55:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to read stream
21:44:55:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/AVX/Core_a7.fah
21:44:55:WU00:FS00:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
21:44:55:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_21.fah
21:44:55:WU01:FS01:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
21:45:55:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to read stream
21:45:55:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to read stream
21:46:33:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/AVX/Core_a7.fah
21:46:33:WU00:FS00:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
21:47:33:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to read stream
21:47:33:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_21.fah
21:47:33:WU01:FS01:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
21:47:33:Saving configuration to config.xml
21:47:33:<config>
21:47:33:  <!-- Slot Control -->
21:47:33:  <power v='FULL'/>
21:47:33:
21:47:33:  <!-- User Information -->
21:47:33:  <passkey v='********************************'/>
21:47:33:  <user v='harwelle'/>
21:47:33:
21:47:33:  <!-- Folding Slots -->
21:47:33:  <slot id='0' type='CPU'/>
21:47:33:  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
21:47:33:</config>
21:48:33:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to read stream
21:48:47:28:127.0.0.1:New Web connection
21:49:10:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/AVX/Core_a7.fah
21:49:10:WU00:FS00:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
21:50:10:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to read stream
21:50:10:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_21.fah
21:50:10:WU01:FS01:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
21:51:10:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to read stream
21:53:24:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/AVX/Core_a7.fah
21:53:24:WU00:FS00:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
21:54:24:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to read stream
21:54:24:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_21.fah
21:54:24:WU01:FS01:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
21:55:24:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to read stream
22:00:15:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/AVX/Core_a7.fah
22:00:15:WU00:FS00:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
22:01:15:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to read stream
22:01:15:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_21.fah
22:01:15:WU01:FS01:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
22:02:16:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to read stream
22:11:21:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/AVX/Core_a7.fah
22:11:21:WU00:FS00:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
22:12:21:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to read stream
22:12:21:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_21.fah
22:12:21:WU01:FS01:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
22:13:21:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to read stream
22:29:18:WU00:FS00:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/AVX/Core_a7.fah
22:29:18:WU00:FS00:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
22:30:18:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Failed to read stream
22:30:18:WU01:FS01:Downloading core from http://cores.foldingathome.org/Win32/AMD64/ATI/R600/Core_21.fah
22:30:18:WU01:FS01:Connecting to cores.foldingathome.org:80
22:31:18:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to read stream
22:31:18:ERROR:Receive error: 10053: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.
I have to start getting ready for work and will revisit this later.
bruce

Post by bruce »

If you install as EPH-non-ademin (aka harwe) it will ask you for credentials (as you said) but there should be no need a change any credentials.

As far as screen performance is concerned, one other thing changed since your earlier log:

13:56:40:           GPUs: 0
has become

21:43:55:           GPUs: 1
21:43:55:          GPU 0: Bus:6 Slot:0 Func:0 AMD:5 Baffin [Polaris11]
so something important has changed in how the GPU and its drivers were detected. That's not enough information for me to understand how many OpenCl drivers are installed on your system or their search order. A GPU that's heavily loaded by FAHCore_a4 can easily alter system performance.

Do you have OpenCL drivers from both Intel and ATI and/or possibly from NV?
momus_98
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Post by momus_98 »

bruce wrote:Do you have OpenCL drivers from both Intel and ATI and/or possibly from NV?
I've only installed the official drivers currently offered by Gigabyte; I have not installed anything from AMD directly. I may trying seeing if updated AMD drivers would help. I do not have anything by nVidia or Intel installed on this system.