Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

awannabeee

Re: [Fixed] No available GPUs

Post by awannabeee »

So how was this problem fixed?
awannabeee

Re: No available GPUs

Post by awannabeee »

bollix47 wrote:Try the solution mentioned here .

works on Linux Mint 19
Catalina588

Re: [Not Fixed] No available GPUs

Post by Catalina588 »

Linux Mint 19 (Ubuntu 18.04): clean install, followed by Driver Manager install of nVidia driver 390. nVidia Settings sees two gpus (750ti and 980Ti). Installed FAH 7.5 from the web site. All this was done graphically with not one single open Terminal window. [Congrats to the Open Source Team}. FAH Console started up in CPU folding. I tried to add slots using -1, then 0 and 1. I installed opencl. I've spent an hour on the Internet when this problem should have been an option at install time -- Windows picks up gpus.

I have a perfectly good config.xml file copied into /var/lib/fahclient/configs. But even "sudo chmod a+rwx config-file-name" won't get permissions.

Question: how do I point the console to my config.xml [exact commands, please] or another workaround to get my config to work. Life is too short to learn yet another operating system in depth.

What I am running without GPUs:

Code: Select all

<config>
  <!-- Client Control -->
  <fold-anon v='true'/>

<!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
  <gpu v='false'/>

<!-- Network -->
  <proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='****************************'/>
  <team v='224497'/>
  <user v='*****************************************'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='CPU'/>
</config>
What I would like to be running:

<config>
  <!-- HTTP Server -->
  <allow v='127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24'/>

<!-- Network -->

<!-- Remote Command Server -->
  <command-allow-no-pass v='127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24'/>

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<passkey v='********************************************'/>
  <team v='224497'/>
  <user v='***********************************************'/>

<!-- Work Unit Control -->
  <next-unit-percentage v='100'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='GPU'/>
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
</config><config>
  <!-- HTTP Server -->
  <allow v='127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24'/>

<!-- Network -->

<!-- Remote Command Server -->
  <command-allow-no-pass v='127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/24'/>

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<passkey v='********************************'/>
  <team v='224497'/>
  <user v='**************************************'/>

<!-- Work Unit Control -->
  <next-unit-percentage v='100'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='GPU'/>
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
</config>
Thanks in advance,
> Catalina588
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

When you installed the FAH client, it did not see any usable GPU's, so it set the value for gpu in the config file to false:

<gpu v='false'/>
You need to change that value to true and restart the FAHClient background process.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Catalina588

Post by Catalina588 »

[Solved] And that's the problem for a novice user. First, the config.xml file is not is /var/lib/fahclient/configs. Don't try to do anything in /var/lib/fahclient. Rather, the file to change is /etc/fahclient/configs.xml. However, that directory is owned by FAHclient, not by the user. You have to change directory permissions with sudo chmod command. Then, any line or graphical editor can edit and change the config.xml file, or replace it.

There may well be any easier way to do this, but the auto-install and Quick Install user guide could use some review towards becoming more explicit and user friendly. Peace.
PappaLitto

Post by PappaLitto »

Can confirm, the only way to fix this is 'sudo chmod 777 /etc/fahclient/config.xml' then 'sudo gedit /etc/fahclient/config.xml' and change false to true and save. Make sure if it's not working to stop and start fahclient or restart the computer.

I also had an issue with fahcontrol not showing up which was super annoying. After hours of searching I finally found it needed a dependency of python-gnome2 so I installed by 'sudo apt-get update' then 'sudo apt-get install python-gnome2'

I am running ubuntu 16.04 in case anyone was wondering.
Holdolin

Post by Holdolin »

chmod 777 is a security breach waiting to happen. Yes, the file needs changed. If your're on a desktop system try sudo gedit /etc/fahclient/config.xml and change it that way. If you're on a command line only system (or simply prefer the command line) then sudo nano or vi and change it that way, but chmod 777 is a bad idea.
PappaLitto

Post by PappaLitto »

You're right, maybe 'sudo chmod 755 /etc/fahclient/config.xml' would be better? I tried just 'sudo gedit /etc/fahclient/config.xml' without using chmod but it said permission denied when attempting to save.
Holdolin

Post by Holdolin »

Yes, 755 will allow the file to be ready and executed by anybody, but only written by the user that owns it or root (who can do anything). So gedit won't let you save? the i'd just use nano. it's a command line tool that will let you edit that file. In case you are unfamiliar with how to use it to save a file use CTL X to save it, CTL Y to use the same file name, then hit ENTER to execute it. Hope that helps :)
PappaLitto

Post by PappaLitto »

All three of my Ubuntu machines are the exact same version (16.04) installed from the same thumb stick and each OS has a different problem. With my most recent problem I was able to get the GPU to be recognized by FAHControl but I have a new error that I did not have on the other ubuntu machine. "ERROR:WU00:FS00:Failed to start core: OpenCL device matching slot 0 not found, try setting 'opencl-index' manually." Does anyone know how to fix this?
Holdolin

Post by Holdolin »

I would suggest going into the slot config on the FAH monitor, edit the GPU slot and set the opencl index to 0. I've had to do that once or twice.
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

Holdolin wrote:I would suggest going into the slot config on the FAH monitor, edit the GPU slot and set the opencl index to 0. I've had to do that once or twice.
One of my machines is running Windows, because it still has this issue in Linux, even after enabling the GPU cores and all that.
bruce

Post by bruce »

ProDigit wrote:One of my machines is running Windows, because it still has this issue in Linux, even after enabling the GPU cores and all that.
This is most likely a driver issue. (The windows driver is not the same as the Linux driver.) I'd recommend installing the latest drivers from the manufacturer and then uninstalling/reinstalling FAH.
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

bruce wrote:
ProDigit wrote:One of my machines is running Windows, because it still has this issue in Linux, even after enabling the GPU cores and all that.
This is most likely a driver issue. (The windows driver is not the same as the Linux driver.) I'd recommend installing the latest drivers from the manufacturer and then uninstalling/reinstalling FAH.
I did. But I'll redo it again at the next available time.
dickster

Post by dickster »

bollix47 wrote:
Don't forget to change that line about gpus being false to true before the reboot.
Fixed this same problem for me also. Thanks. :D