How to open Advanced Control on startup

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Luscious

How to open Advanced Control on startup

Post by Luscious »

Noob question this may be , but I'm curious if there is a way to configure F@H so that the Advanced Control window pops up when I double click the Folding@Home icon (FAHClient.exe). At the moment it will just start the software and show the notification icon in the bottom right. I'd like to avoid having to right click there and select advanced control every time.

Also, I am on 7.4.4 - have there been changes in 7.5.1 that require an update?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: How to open Advanced Control on startup

Post by foldy »

Start Advanced Control that way: C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHControl.exe
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

There's also a link to FAHControl in Start menu > FAHClient.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Luscious

Post by Luscious »

Hmmm... I tried both steps above but I get an empty Advanced Control window. FAHClient.exe needs to be running first in order for FAHControl.exe to be able to display what's happening.

I've noticed that the desktop shortcut for Folding@Home links to the HideConsole application, because FAHClient.exe itself only opens a command prompt window.

I could probably fix it by running both at Windows startup, except that I prefer to start F@H manually since I use the machine it's installed on for other things as well.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Luscious wrote:Hmmm... I tried both steps above but I get an empty Advanced Control window. FAHClient.exe needs to be running first in order for FAHControl.exe to be able to display what's happening.

I've noticed that the desktop shortcut for Folding@Home links to the HideConsole application, because FAHClient.exe itself only opens a command prompt window.

I could probably fix it by running both at Windows startup, except that I prefer to start F@H manually since I use the machine it's installed on for other things as well.
HideConsole is a Windows tool equivalent to Linux's 1>/dev/null and has nothing to do with FAHControl.

FAHControl needs to be started with the right environment, including setting the current directory to FAH's data directory.