Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

spectre

FAHControl/Web Client not connecting to FAHClient

Post by spectre »

Specs:
CPU:INTEL 6700K @ 4.0GHZ
GPU:MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB
RAM:32GB DDR4

FAHControl and FAHWebClient cannot connect to FAHClient. I have tried new installations and have done the default settings but nothing changed. FAHControl gets stuck on and orange highlighted connecting text while the webclient times out. Below are links to screengrabs of the FAHControl and FAHClient. I dont know how to resize images so sorry in advance.

Thanks,
Spectre
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: FAHControl/Web Client not connecting to FAHClient

Post by toTOW »

Do you have some security software that might block connections between the client and FAHControl ?

If it's the first start up of the client after installation, don't hesitate to exit it and restart it before retrying to communicate with it ... sometimes it might help ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Welcome to the Folding@home support forum spectre.

A couple of things that need fixing:

The CWD is in Program Files x86\FAHClient ... data should be stored under your user account
There's no opencl support ... all gpu folding is done with opencl

1. Uninstall FAH including data.
2. Remove any leftover traces ... just search for fahclient
3. Download & Install the latest GPU drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/drivers
4. Reboot even if the driver installer didn't tell you to
5. Install folding software using the defaults and for you only entering your folding name, team # and passkey if you wish (it can be entered later using FAHControl)
6. Reboot and try again

There will be a link to folding's Data Directory (Start > FAHClient) where you will find a file called log.txt ... if you have further problems please copy/paste the 1st ~ 100 lines when posting back. (use the Code tags)
spectre

Post by spectre »

Thanks for your response Bollix47,

However, the FAHInstaller only lets me choose the directory (which defaults to Program Files (x86), but I changed it to be in my user directory) and doesn't let me enter folding name, team # and passkey. Once the installer is finished I launched FAH through the installer and it was running in the background but it wouldn't connect to the control when I opened FAHControl. I rebooted my PC and the program and it still wouldn't connect

Code: Select all

*********************** Log Started 2019-02-20T17:20:17Z ***********************
17:20:17:************************* Folding@home Client *************************
17:20:17:      Website: https://foldingathome.org/
17:20:17:    Copyright: (c) 2009-2018 foldingathome.org
17:20:17:       Author: Joseph Coffland <joseph@cauldrondevelopment.com>
17:20:17:         Args: 
17:20:17:       Config: <none>
17:20:17:******************************** Build ********************************
17:20:17:      Version: 7.5.1
17:20:17:         Date: May 11 2018
17:20:17:         Time: 13:06:32
17:20:17:   Repository: Git
17:20:17:     Revision: 4705bf53c635f88b8fe85af7675557e15d491ff0
17:20:17:       Branch: master
17:20:17:     Compiler: Visual C++ 2008
17:20:17:      Options: /TP /nologo /EHa /wd4297 /wd4103 /Ox /MT
17:20:17:     Platform: win32 10
17:20:17:         Bits: 32
17:20:17:         Mode: Release
17:20:17:******************************* System ********************************
17:20:17:          CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
17:20:17:       CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
17:20:17:         CPUs: 8
17:20:17:       Memory: 31.95GiB
17:20:17:  Free Memory: 27.59GiB
17:20:17:      Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
17:20:17:   OS Version: 6.2
17:20:17:  Has Battery: false
17:20:17:   On Battery: false
17:20:17:   UTC Offset: -5
17:20:17:          PID: 15408
17:20:17:          CWD: C:\Users\Hunter\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient
17:20:17:           OS: Windows 10 Enterprise
17:20:17:      OS Arch: AMD64
17:20:17:         GPUs: 1
17:20:17:        GPU 0: Bus:1 Slot:0 Func:0 NVIDIA:7 GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] 4372
17:20:17:CUDA Device 0: Platform:0 Device:0 Bus:1 Slot:0 Compute:6.1 Driver:10.1
17:20:17:       OpenCL: Not detected
17:20:17:Win32 Service: false
17:20:17:***********************************************************************
17:20:17:<config>
17:20:17:  <!-- Folding Slots -->
17:20:17:</config>
17:20:17:Trying to access database...
17:20:17:Successfully acquired database lock
17:20:17:Enabled folding slot 00: PAUSED cpu:6 (not configured)
Thanks,
Spectre
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

17:20:17: OpenCL: Not detected
The above indicates you did not install the nvidia GPU driver ... #3 above.
spectre

Post by spectre »

I updated the drivers from the GeForce Experience application and the version of the drivers I have is the same version on the website
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Updating using geforce experience won't necessarily give you opencl ... just download & install the latest drivers, use the Custom routine when installing and uncheck all but the drivers and check Perform a clean install. I suggest you start over at step 1 ... make sure to use FAH's uninstaller and check the Data box.
bruce

Post by bruce »

spectre wrote:However, the FAHInstaller only lets me choose the directory (which defaults to Program Files (x86), but I changed it to be in my user directory) and doesn't let me enter folding name, team # and passkey.
Did you run FAHinstaller while logged on with your standard user or did you switch to an Admin account. The installer is designed to work correctly from your normal user account and will choose the appropriate user's local directory. Then when FAHContol starts, it will look in the place where the data is, rather than in the Windows program directory. You're never supposed to put data in the program directories. (That's an old exploit of some viruses which Windows now protects against.

Are you starting FAHControl using the shortcut that the installer created for you or are you attempting to start it manually from the Program Files directory?
Mixer

Post by Mixer »

bollix47 wrote:Updating using geforce experience won't necessarily give you opencl ... just download & install the latest drivers, use the Custom routine when installing and uncheck all but the drivers and check Perform a clean install. I suggest you start over at step 1 ... make sure to use FAH's uninstaller and check the Data box.
I have this same issue and after downloading the Install file, I'm refused the ability to install it and told to reinstall through GeForce experience. There is a custom option but I already have all items ticket.

Can we please get some meaningful suggestions as to how to fix this?

I've been folding on NaCL but now I can't contribute at all.
bruce

Post by bruce »

@Mixer I presume you're trying to install the Windows drivers from NVidia or AMD for their GPUs (though you didn't say that). Do you have access to an administrative password?
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Mixer wrote: ... There is a custom option but I already have all items ticket.
What is the make & model of your GPU? Download the driver installation file from the appropriate manufacturer's website ( e.g. http://www.nvidia.com/drivers )
First the later installers ask you to decide between Driver + GeForce Experience or just the Driver ... click on the circle next to just the Driver.
The only checkmarks you want to see before continuing the installation are next to Driver ( small selection box above with various options ) & "Perform a clean installation" ( lower in the window ) ... remove all other checkmarks.
bruce

Post by bruce »

You have resolved one of your two problems. The program is now running in the right directory. (Note the change in the CWD: information.) Now all you need to do is select the proper options to get OpenCL

Perhaps the problem is with the word "download". You may have already done this correctly, but I'll explain it anyway.
(I prefer the manual search method, but you can also use the automatic detection procedure.)
Go to https://www.geforce.com/drivers and under "manual search" change any of the entries until the answers represent your system and click "Start Search"
It will give you a list of drivers that will work with your GPU. The first one listed is recommended although older ones may also work.
Download it and find the file (probably in "downloads") and double-click it. It will ask for permission to update your system and proceed to the checkmark page mentioned by bollix above.
(Personally, I choose to turn off Geforce Experience because I don't want to accept driver updates when I'm folding as it will crash the active WU. That does make me responsible for deciding when to upgrade to newer drivers, though.)
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and, unfortunately, Geforce Experience was the answer. The info provided by the OP doesn't say which version of W10 he has but I'd almost put money on it being 1903. This can cause the standard Geforce drivers to fail the system compatibility test during installation. This was true for 430.86 and I've just uninstalled Experience to try 431.36 and still get the same failure. For some reason, letting Experience perform an online update bypasses the problem.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Manually downloading/installing the proper driver FROM NVIDIA seems to be the answer to getting the driver together with the OpenCL driver.

When WindowsUpdate decides it's time to update the driver, it often REMOVES the OpenCL driver. I'm not sure whether GeforceExperience has the same problem or not.
Mixer

Post by Mixer »

bruce wrote:Manually downloading/installing the proper driver FROM NVIDIA seems to be the answer to getting the driver together with the OpenCL driver.
Manually downloading a driver results in being told a message that you can't install that and you need to use Geforce Experience. This provides a custom option for either Game usage or Studio usage but doesn't define what either is.