smaller wus on fah client?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MeeLee

smaller wus on fah client?

Post by MeeLee »

is there a way to select smaller wus on the client?
most wus I get, are 2+ hours long.
It's just for my portable unit, that can fold only a few hours a day.
for my home server, I don't mind larger wus.
the problem with larger units is when my system is inactive for a few days, the bonus points from each last WU are greatly reduced, unless I can finish the WU before I pack my gear, and disconnect the pc.
JimboPalmer

Re: smaller wus on fah client?

Post by JimboPalmer »

I am not a user of the NaCl client, but it sounds like what you are looking for.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

In google chrome browser open http://nacl.foldingathome.org/
bruce

Post by bruce »

Yes, the nacl (Chrome) client is designed (and recommended for) situations where time is limited. It only issues WUs that are brief.

FAHControl has a feature designed to allow you to enable larger WUs to be downloaded but it probably won't meet your needs. It was originally designed when (dial-up) internet connections were MUCH slower than they are today and it could avoid long waits for the new WU to download or the results to upload. In fact, that issue has also been solved by overlapping downloading and uploading with WU processing.

It's not surprising that the option has fallen into disuse.

You can set a max-packet-size, but when WUs grew enough that the default setting was too small for may projects, they simply redefined the defaults so "everybody" would get the WUs. Those small packets you're looking for probably have not had a useful value set on the project's server so you won't be able to exclude all larger WUs.

Then, too, the packet size is a measure of the amount of data being downloaded, not how long it will take to process (even though there is some degree of correlation).

The feature COULD be supported again, but you'll have to convince FAH's management that doing so is in the interest of science. It would not require a new version of any of the software, only a policy directive from management.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Sorry, no.
My portable unit folds on GPU, so nacl isn't an option.

I think it would benefit FAH to leave the largest WUs to servers and systems that are always folding, and generate smaller units (though much larger than NACL units) for systems like mine, that don't fold all the time.

There is a possibility that WUs that are smaller, could be better for clients running on CPU only as well, as partial WUs do get returned quicker than full ones.
Somewhere halfway between standard WUs, and the ones from NACL.