FAH control reads PPD a bit optimistic

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MeeLee

FAH control reads PPD a bit optimistic

Post by MeeLee »

From the statistics online, and if I do my math correctly, the folding client control panel reads about 10% optimistic ratings.
Initially I thought perhaps the failed WUs, or internet slowdowns (eg: no connectivity) was to blame.
But being active for a few months, I kept seeing a 10% higher score in the control panel, than what statistics show.
The chances of me only looking at the control panel when the cards are doing fast WUs, and when I minimize the client doing only slow WUs is nearly impossible.

I continuously see a discrepancy between 5% and in some cases as high as 20% lower PPD count compared to what the client tells me I should get per day.

I disabled screen savers, and am running Ubuntu.
My only other explanation is that perhaps the system folds slower when the screen goes off, but that's somewhat unlikely.

This, or the Control panel is giving a slightly optimistic reading.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: FAH control reads PPD a bit optimistic

Post by foldy »

The default settings download the next work unit when current work unit reaches 99%.
This is good for slow internet connections to not get the GPU idle while downloading.
But if you have a fast internet connection this makes the next work unit delayed for the last 1% runtime.

One tweak I know is setting the download next work unit to 100%
next-unit-percentage=100
https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/i ... ion-guide/
bruce

Post by bruce »

I suspect you have not configured and qualified a passkey. Once that process is completed, WUs will obtain a points bonus for prompt completion. Depending on the speed of your hardware, it may average 10% or some other value. The FAHClient reports points ASSUMING you're obtaining the bonus based on the measured time between download and the results upload. Without the passkey, you'll earn the base credit unless the WU expires. I'll put in an enhancement request to have the client clarify that information.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

foldy wrote:The default settings download the next work unit when current work unit reaches 99%.
This is good for slow internet connections to not get the GPU idle while downloading.
But if you have a fast internet connection this makes the next work unit delayed for the last 1% runtime.

One tweak I know is setting the download next work unit to 100%
next-unit-percentage=100
https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/i ... ion-guide/
Thanks, the delay is 1 minute from downloading the WU, and <1 minute to upload it.
That's a max of 2 minutes of time delay on a work unit anywhere between 1 to 4 hours.
I don't think it would account for 10%.

I have a passkey correctly configured as well.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Please post segments of your log showing the PRCG numbers of the WU and the points report containing examples where there is a <=10% discrepancy, including the lines showing the download report and the upload report.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

I think I figured it out.
It's an issue on my internet connection, and Ubuntu, where it randomly resets.
Last time I saw it was still trying to upload a WU, when halfway through a new wu.
I think it has something to do with my internet company.

As soon as the connection is re-established, FAH probably doesn't realize, and the upload is paused or frozen at a certain percentage.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Whether a frozen upload is restarted or somehow manages to continue, the time that the upload is completed is compared to the time the download happened, and that total time influences the bonus points awarded. You can't say you completed processing the WU until it's fully received by the server. The estimated duration is based on the time it's reported, not the time it was actually finished uploading.

That time is also measured by the server's clock, not by the local clock in your machine, so adjusting the local clock doesn't alter the bonus.