OpenCL conflicts ... F@H 7.5.1 doesn't start!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: F@H 7.5.1 doesn't start!

Post by foldy »

The Vendors screenshot I cannot see the full name on the right side?
>>>
Again same thing for 32bit as the FAHclient is 32bit and the FAHcore is 64bit
C:\Windows\SysWOW64
OpenCL.dll
nvopencl32.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors
<<<
foldy wrote:
Same for nvopencl64.dll

I don't have that file in my System32 folder.
That's the problem!

Manual install:
1) Download the 425.31 nvidia driver https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 5872/en-us
2) Start the nvidia driver installer and start the extraction only and WAIT and keep Installer window open
3) Goto C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\425.31\Win10_64\International\Display.Driver
4) Copy files nvopencl64.dl_ and nvopencl32.dl_ to C:\
5) Open cmd in C:\
6) Write: expand nvopencl32.dl_ nvopencl32.dll
7) Write: expand nvopencl64.dl_ nvopencl64.dll
8) Copy C:\nvopencl32.dll to C:\Windows\syswow64\
9) Copy C:\nvopencl64.dll to C:\Windows\system32\
[Yes 32 goes to wow64 and 64 goes to sys32, stupid Windows naming scheme]

Now the files are there so restart FAH and check with GPU-Z
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

@Yesorno

Does the user that you used to install the nvidia driver have full admin privileges? If not you need to right click the driver installer and select "Run as administrator".

Do you have any security software that could deny the creation of files in c:\windows?

Does your c: drive have plenty of free space?

If this is not the case and the user does have full admin access then I can't think of any reason for those files not to be installed.

This is a new problem we have not seen before that wasn't solved by reinstalling the driver from nvidia so please let us know what the solution is/was once you have one.
Yesorno

Post by Yesorno »

foldy wrote:The Vendors screenshot I cannot see the full name on the right side?
foldy wrote: Again same thing for 32bit as the FAHclient is 32bit and the FAHcore is 64bit
C:\Windows\SysWOW64
OpenCL.dll
nvopencl32.dll
foldy wrote: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

foldy wrote: Manual install:
1) Download the 425.31 nvidia driver https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 5872/en-us
2) Start the nvidia driver installer and start the extraction only and WAIT and keep Installer window open
3) Goto C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\425.31\Win10_64\International\Display.Driver
4) Copy files nvopencl64.dl_ and nvopencl32.dl_ to C:\
5) Open cmd in C:\
6) Write: expand nvopencl32.dl_ nvopencl32.dll
7) Write: expand nvopencl64.dl_ nvopencl64.dll
8) Copy C:\nvopencl32.dll to C:\Windows\syswow64\
9) Copy C:\nvopencl64.dll to C:\Windows\system32\
[Yes 32 goes to wow64 and 64 goes to sys32, stupid Windows naming scheme]
This is really weird, but I'll give it a try... So is Nvidia's installers not installing OpenCL anymore?

bollix47 wrote:
Does the user that you used to install the nvidia driver have full admin privileges? If not you need to right click the driver installer and select "Run as administrator".

Do you have any security software that could deny the creation of files in c:\windows?

Does your c: drive have plenty of free space?

If this is not the case and the user does have full admin access then I can't think of any reason for those files not to be installed.

This is a new problem we have not seen before that wasn't solved by reinstalling the driver from nvidia so please let us know what the solution is/was once you have one.
I'm the only user and yes I'm an administrator. I have a 1TB Samsung SSD as my C drive.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

This is really weird, but I'll give it a try... So is Nvidia's installers not installing OpenCL anymore?
Or the installation script in the latest installer you are using might have a bug and is not properly installing OpenCL and the related registry entries.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Yesorno

Post by Yesorno »

@foldy,

I followed your directions to a T........... Didn't work.

bruce

Post by bruce »

Yesorno wrote:F@H sihttps://foldingforum.org/posting.php? ... 306418mply doesn't start. When I double click the .exe, it opens in Task Manager, but the web client doesn't load and the advanced control panel doesn't show up on the tray. What am I doing wrong?
1) You do NOT start FAHClient by double-clicking it. That will not establish the proper context for FAHClient to operatey. Use the shortcut that was created during the installation, either by clicking on it or by configuring the FAH installer to start it automatically at boot time. (That also might be the cause of the permissions issue for the DB)

2) I predict that you won't be able to use the virtual GPU that he VM creates. Others have reported that FAH needs direct control of the GPU which a VM does not provide -- although I never proved it to myself. Microsoft takes control of the GPU for its desktop and will share it only with processes running under the control of the logged-on user.
Yesorno

Post by Yesorno »

bruce wrote:
1) You do NOT start FAHClient by double-clicking it. That will not establish the proper context for FAHClient to operatey. Use the shortcut that was created during the installation, either by clicking on it or by configuring the FAH installer to start it automatically at boot time. (That also might be the cause of the permissions issue for the DB)

I know this. I was talking about double-clicking the .exe shortcut which was placed on the desktop by the installer.
bruce wrote: 2) I predict that you won't be able to use the virtual GPU that he VM creates. Others have reported that FAH needs direct control of the GPU which a VM does not provide -- although I never proved it to myself. Microsoft takes control of the GPU for its desktop and will share it only with processes running under the control of the logged-on user.
I'm a little confused. Are you talking about installing F@H on a virtual machine instead?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Microsoft does not allow the GPU to be run in a Windows service either. I don't remember anybody reporting it working if you try to install the Windows drivers in a VM without it first being installed on the native OS.

It might work if you're running Linux -- I'm not sure. FAHClient can be started as a Linux service.

The shortcut isn't an .exe; it's a script containing several commands -- including a cd ... or if you prefer, a Start In.
Yesorno

Post by Yesorno »

bruce wrote: The shortcut isn't an .exe; it's a script containing several commands -- including a cd ... or if you prefer, a Start In.

Okay, I don't really want to use a VM. I just want to get my F@H up and working again. I'm completely stuck.
foldy
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz

Post by foldy »

The problem seems to be IntelOpenCL is installed which may be in conflict with nvidia.

Last step: Goto registry editor again and delete the entry below OpenCL\Vendors for 32bit and 64bit

Check in Windows 10 Add/Remove Programs if any Intel OpenCL ist installed and remove it.

Reboot and check GPU-Z

Install nvidia driver once again
Yesorno

Post by Yesorno »

foldy wrote: Last step: Goto registry editor again and delete the entry below OpenCL\Vendors for 32bit and 64bit
I don't wanna do that because those entries seem to be related to Steam, as that's where the key is pointing to.

foldy wrote: Check in Windows 10 Add/Remove Programs if any Intel OpenCL ist installed and remove it.
There isn't.
foldy
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz

Post by foldy »

Where do you see any related to Steam? It is the IntelOpenCL32.dll and you can also just rename it to begin with e.g. "disabled" so the path gets invalid

That is my last idea how to fix this.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Hmmm. I just noticed that FAH detects that you are running on a 32-bit Win10 system. Maybe that's the problem. Some time back, NVidia said they were discontinuing support for 32-bit systems. Your OpenCL drivers for Intel are also 32-bit drivers and you don't have the sysWOW64 folders. Maybe FAH needs to announce that they no longer support 32-bit WIndows. (They already said they no longer support 32-bit Linux, though you might get away of running 32-bit CPU FAHCores if they still exist.)
Yesorno

Post by Yesorno »

bruce wrote:Hmmm. I just noticed that FAH detects that you are running on a 32-bit Win10 system. Maybe that's the problem. Some time back, NVidia said they were discontinuing support for 32-bit systems. Your OpenCL drivers for Intel are also 32-bit drivers and you don't have the sysWOW64 folders. Maybe FAH needs to announce that they no longer support 32-bit WIndows. (They already said they no longer support 32-bit Linux, though you might get away of running 32-bit CPU FAHCores if they still exist.)
Ok but obviously I'm not running Windows 10 32-bit.

Does yours say that as well?
schmiddi

Post by schmiddi »

Ok but obviously I'm not running Windows 10 32-bit.

Does yours say that as well?
Just checked my system, it is correctly identifiend as
Platform: win32 10
Bits: 64

This might sound stupid but: Sure you are using 64-bit Windows?