Failed to get an ID from server

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

tmontney

Failed to get an ID from server

Post by tmontney »

Fresh Ubuntu 18.04, cannot get an ID. Was trying out some old hardware, and wanted to see how it'd perform. It's an i7-3630QM. Is it not getting a WU because it's too old or a mobile CPU? I removed the GPU slot so it'd use all cores (aka cpu:8).

Error specifically is "Received short response, expected 8 bytes, got 0".
bruce

Re: Failed to get an ID from server

Post by bruce »

Obtaining an ID is not dependent on the type of hardware you're running. It's simply the first internet connection that the client makes. Do you have security software that "protects" you from the evils of the internet?
tmontney

Post by tmontney »

Oh perhaps it's referring to my folding ID? I'm anonymous for this round.

No, fresh build. It's running off a live USB (just the standard "Try Ubuntu Before Installing"). I'm planning to run these off PXE in the future, if they do well now.

For instance, it tries 65.254.110.245:8080. I can browse that with Firefox, and it loads the page. It also tries to fetch GPUs.txt from assign1 and assign2 but fails ("failed to read stream"). However, I'm not using GPUs presently.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

tmontney wrote:Error specifically is "Received short response, expected 8 bytes, got 0".
This error usually indicates that something is messing around with network packets from FAH ... Usually, this has to do with security software or router (or proxy sometimes). In rare cases, it could also be some ISP policies that prevent direct connections to IPs (not using DNS) or disallow unknown "browsers" to connect.

Did you try to reboot your modem and/or router ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
bruce

Post by bruce »

tmontney wrote:Oh perhaps it's referring to my folding ID? I'm anonymous for this round.
No, that's your user name. The ID is assigned by the server and for the most part, you never see it except in some on-line transactions.

Find the PRCG numbers of a WU you've completed and enter them into https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu. It will give your {B}User Team CPUID{/B} in the first three fields.
tmontney

Post by tmontney »

That was certainly the issue. My company network shouldn't have interfered but it was. Used my hotspot, and it was working fine.