How to change data drive

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

eyedocbob

How to change data drive

Post by eyedocbob »

Probably has been asked before: how can I change the drive that is being accessed during the folding process? Basically I am wanting to make it so FAH is not accessing my SSD on a constant basis. Or do just need to reinstall to the desired drive? Assume I know very little. Thank you!
Theodore

Re: How to change data drive

Post by Theodore »

Fah uses extremely low data from disk.
If you'd like to have fah not access the disk at all, there are only 2 options I'm aware of.
1- install a second drive with a small (Linux) os. I bought a $20 64GB SSD not so long ago. There currently are $14 32GB options on the market as well. And run linux and fah from dual boot.
Just don't mount the SSD you don't want to be touched.
2- find a way to boot everything on a ram disk. I know we did it back in the day with the eeepc, so it is possible. It just wasn't easy to get it all set up like that.
Russ_64
Hardware configuration: Dual Xeon E5645 (12C/24T) / 24Gb DDR3 - VMware ESXi 6.7.0
FAH v7.5.1

Post by Russ_64 »

I assume that you are using Windows. You can install a 2nd SSD or a HDD and after it is setup in Windows as D: - then re-install FAH using the Advanced option, you can change the Data Folder location to D:\ (assuming that you only have C: for Windows). You could even install FAHClient on D: as well, that is what I have done.
ImageImageImage
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Russ_64 wrote:I assume that you are using Windows. You can install a 2nd SSD or a HDD and after it is setup in Windows as D: - then re-install FAH using the Advanced option, you can change the Data Folder location to D:\ (assuming that you only have C: for Windows). You could even install FAHClient on D: as well, that is what I have done.
The problem with that, is that FAH will still use files installed on the C drive, as well as swap or windows files; even if FAH is installed on another drive.
So it's not entirely possible to deny FAH access to the C drive without the possibility of errors.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Windows allows you to place your paging (swap) file on any drive(s). That's a much more significant change if you're using your computer for something other than FAH.