Laptop no longer goes to sleep

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

sylverstream

Laptop no longer goes to sleep

Post by sylverstream »

As long as the program runs, my laptop doesn't want to go to sleep. When I click Start => Sleep, the screen goes blank for a second and it looks like it goes to sleep, but then it goes back on. Doesn't matter if I have it set to paused or running. Only closing the application works.
Windows 10 laptop.
Any suggestions please?
bruce

Re: Laptop no longer goes to sleep

Post by bruce »

Foldingathome cannot process WUs when the system is sleeping so it disables the sleep functionality of the OS. Thisincereases the bonus points by not delaying WU. It also helps avoid missing the deadlines.

If you're running a WU on your GPU, sleepting will also crash the WU although WUs which run on the CPU can resume.

You can try pausing the FAH WUs. That will make you totally responsible for resuming processing to meet the deadlines. (I don't remember if pausing the WUs re-enables the sleep function.)
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

There is also an advanced option to enable sleep again even when FAH is running.
disable-sleep-when-active = false

But then it would also go to sleep when your not using your laptop after some timeout
bruce

Post by bruce »

foldy wrote:But then it would also go to sleep when your not using your laptop after some timeout
... and most likely crash any WU that's running on the GPU unless it has been manually PAUSEd.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

But that is not problem as it resumes from last checkpoint.
bruce

Post by bruce »

CPU WUs resume from the last checkpoint. GPU WUs may not, since the Windows "resume-after-sleep" does not restore whatever was happening in the GPU's VRAM
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Problem if you enable FAH to continue folding while the PC should be in sleep mode (basically just screen off mode), is that if you close your laptop screen, there's a chance the laptop won't get sufficient cooling, and might overheat.
With the possibility of hardware failure as a result.
sylverstream

Post by sylverstream »

Thanks all for your reply. I understand that sleep is being disabled, but I don't want to have my laptop running 24/7. It should only run FAH when I'm behind my laptop, and I'm used to put my laptop into sleep mode when I'm not using it.
What's the best way to achieve this?
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Sylverstream, as has been discussed, the answers will vary if you are folding on a GPU. None of us know if you do, so we need guidance from you.

Bruce links to how to show us your configuration log in the second post, that would be ideal.

foldy tells how to re-enable sleep mode, if all you do is CPU folding. (Very common on laptops)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

There's currently a debate about getting smaller WUs available for situations like this.

The only viable option at the moment, is to click 'finish' on FAHControl, and wait for the WUs to finish, before closing.
It might work in some occasions where you can finish the WU before you finish your work.

Secondary option, is to just pause all the running WUs, before exiting. It'll lower points, but is a good idea if you're far along the WU (eg: 75% processed).
That way you can finish the WU the next day or so.

The third option, is the most flexible, but gets you the least points, is to use NaCl.
You'll be CPU folding only on that one, but it's WUs are usually below 1 hour.
sylverstream

Post by sylverstream »

Hi @JimboPalmer, thank you for your reply. It's all new to me, sorry for my ignorance. I'm only folding on my CPU. Adding this disable-sleep-when-active setting has solved my problem!