Bad work unit/STATE indicator in FAHControl

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MeeLee

Re: Bad work unit/STATE indicator in FAHControl

Post by MeeLee »

Yeah, really, the log isn't doing it for me!

There are still many issues with Linux, where nvidia Run files don't install, and multi GPU will result in desktop errors, making using the mouse impossible once it disappears off the screen.

Another reason why I think the indicator would be a great idea, is if in the future, PCs like the Raspberry Pi, will become powerful enough to fold (or perhaps more likely, a modern PC, with Raspberry Pi-style GPIO pinout), that this indicator state can easily be routed to a GPIO pin, driving a LED; so that a PC folding doesn't need to be troubleshooted, when everything is ok; But when a bad state is entered, a LED can easily display which PC (or even which GPU) has gone through an error.
I understand that currently, for the average PC user this is not a real important feat.
But for a multi GPU system, or multi PC user, this will be quite important; as the user will be able to determine an error, by just walking into a room (rather than going through the 15 minute procedure of tracing down a log for potential errors)!
Multi PC and GPU systems troubleshooting, can take quite some time, and this is at the expense of those who donate the most to FAH; so I think it might be important to provide a little service; help them give a better service for you (F@H)!

I also believe that not far from now, more and more people will be running multi GPU systems as regular gaming or folding rig.