Where's the beef (client)?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Yavanius

Where's the beef (client)?

Post by Yavanius »

Been a whiles since 7.5.1 was released and no word on a new client to fix bugs. Not even word of a beta client.

Bit off-topic, but what's happening with Android too.

Last thing I recall reading was a website overhaul, but that's been a whiles too... I don't see anything on the website about what's happening. :/
MeeLee

Re: Where's the beef (client)?

Post by MeeLee »

Android client is discontinued.
What bugs need to be fixed on the new client?
Most issues nowadays are feat requests. The current client works quite well, other than that it needs python 2.x to run.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Yavanius wrote:Been a whiles since 7.5.1 was released and no word on a new client to fix bugs. Not even word of a beta client.
Clients are released rarely -- only when the science needs new features. Look at the beta and release dates of previous clients.

As far a bugs check https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues/issues. There are a few bugs but more enhancement requests submitted by donors. If you don't find whatever is bothering you, compose your own.
Yavanius wrote:I don't see anything on the website about what's happening. :/
What's happening is Universities mostly shutting down between June and September. FAH doesn't shut down but there's definitely a lower activity level.
Yavanius

Post by Yavanius »

MeeLee wrote:Android client is discontinued.
What bugs need to be fixed on the new client?
Most issues nowadays are feat requests. The current client works quite well, other than that it needs python 2.x to run.

Last heard was work was being done on a new Android client with the code given over by Sony. At the moment, I don't know of it any project doing Cancer research on Android beside DreamLab although Smash Childhood Cancer is doing some beta testing for new WUs. So that would be nice to have again, however, it gets a little complicated explaining WCG under BOINC... and WCG isn't the most friendly of interfaces.
Yavanius

Post by Yavanius »

MeeLee wrote: What bugs need to be fixed on the new client?

The screensaver sync is the most glaring.

The other is there seems to be some kind of issue initializing nVidia (possibly just on mobile chipsets) for newer versions of the graphics drivers. (I'll be updating that post as I encountered it again on another laptop.)