FAHClient Standalone?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

4nn0nn

FAHClient Standalone?

Post by 4nn0nn »

Hi Bananoreros,

I am looking for the standalone FAHClient that works through (Windows) commandline, the official site states that is available for download, but all I can find is the full installer package. Please help! :biggrin:
bruce

Re: FAHClient Standalone?

Post by bruce »

The FAHClient download for Windows includes 3 separate components. FAHClinet.exe, FAHControl.exe, and FAHViewer.exe. It's up to you how many of them you use.

By Default, FAHClient will install and start itself, invoking WebControl, which is a mini-version of FAHControl that runs in a browser. It can be closed without effecting FAHClient. FAHViewer makes pretty images, but it's not involved with the actual processing. Personally, I run FAHClient 24x7, never use FAHViewer and rarely use FAHControl not what I've got things set up the way I like them.

FAHClient does have a number of command-line parameters but they are much easier to manage with FAHControl and they're then stored in the config file. FAHClient creates a default config file which you can change. The easiest way to edit that file is using FAHControl. We don't recommend manually editing it because it follows a rather strict format to make it machine-readable and if you happen to make a syntax error, it's not easy to recover.
4nn0nn

Post by 4nn0nn »

Thanks for the reply Bruce!
If I want to run FAHClient.exe on a mini PC (without downloading the installer) do I only need the .exe file for the Client to work, or do I need to copy more files (.dlls etc) with it?
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

[I am just another donor of computer power, like you. I am not a Mod, not an Admin, not a Researcher. I am not with F@H, I just wanted my PCs to have a hobby]

I am unclear what you are trying to do, but I doubt you can do it.

The Installer sets up all the subdirectorys the Client uses, even if you got them all created by hand, you would need to insure the client has read/write access to them.
The client does a poor job of noticing what hardware it is running on, the installer finds out what CPU, OS, and GPUs if any, are on your system and write that into a config file. Folders who change hardware later often are reduced to re-installing, as the client gets confused easily.

I am not seeing any advantage to running installer free on any PC I owned, and you are expressly forbidden from running it on other's PCs. You will get NO help on that here.

Once installed, I may go 6 months with only the client running, then pause it, and upgrade the OS, the graphics Drivers, run CCleaner and defragment. Then un pause and pay no attention in another 6 months. (Three of my laptops are used when I do ticketing at a theatre, we do 5 plays a year for 4 performances each play, they need Windows 10 due to an odd ticket printer. Two of my laptops run a BBQ scoring program in a full screen DOS window, So XP is the last windows they can use. I score about six 2 day events a year. One laptop is my daily driver. Two towers are dedicated GPU folders, GTX 1050ti and GTX 1060 They do 95% of my PPD)

https://greenwoodlittletheatre.com/
https://hogsforthecause.org/
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

I'm not sure a standalone version of FAH exists.
While it's always possible to install FAH on any computer, and copy the files, there's a high chance that you'll run into errors down the line.

For having an operational FAH client on your PC, you'll need admin rights, and install.
I've asked before; though never thought of copying the entire FAH folder in the program files folder to another PC.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Some of the essential files that the installer adds go in Windows' program directory. Others are part of the setup created in %APPDATA% Why do you find objectionable to run the installer?

FAHClient needs a fair number of support files to be configured correctly. Once it's installed, you can remove FAHViewer and FAHControl.

Perhaps you're thinking of the NaCl client which, until recently, could run in a browser without an installation.
4nn0nn

Post by 4nn0nn »

Thanks for the help :)
M0CZY

Post by M0CZY »

The Windows standalone client can be found here: https://download.foldingathome.org/rele ... fahclient/
It will run from any folder, and doesn't need administrative privileges. Start off by running the client with --configure to create your basic configuration file.
I suspect that the client you might need is this one: https://download.foldingathome.org/rele ... se.tar.bz2

For some reason I assumed that most of the FAH 'power users' used the standalone client.
bruce

Post by bruce »

M0CZY wrote:For some reason I assumed that most of the FAH 'power users' used the standalone client.
Why? The installed client does the same thing that you can do using your own scripts.