Usinging old version (7.4.4) Best way to upgrade? Should I?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

castlebomb44

Usinging old version (7.4.4) Best way to upgrade? Should I?

Post by castlebomb44 »

Hi guys.

I am using version 7.4.4 (32 bit) on a Windows 10 machine. This is a 64 bit machine... I just assumed the program would update itself.
Should bother installing the latest version (7.5.1) 64bit after I finish the current work unit that I have? Or would there be no real reason to do the update?

It is recommend to uninstall first or can I just install the new version?

What is the best way to stay up to date with the latest program version on my machines?
debs3759

Re: Usinging old version (7.4.4) Best way to upgrade? Should

Post by debs3759 »

You can just install the newer version on top of the old version. The only way to keep it up to date is to keep checking these forums or the download page to see if there is a new version, and update it manually. Before you upgrade, please finish any running wu as they are not guaranteed to continue in a new version. Newer versions usually fix bugs and add new features. I would think in the long run that makes them better than older versions.
bruce

Post by bruce »

As far as the 32-bit/-64-bit issue is concerned, don't worry about it. FAH has several semi-independent components. Some are compiled for 64-bit and others are compiled for 32-bit. If you have a 64-bit OS running on 64-bit hardware, FAH will use some code that only needs 32-bit and other code that needs 64-bit. For anyone who has a 32-bit OS, most projects require a 64-bit FAHCore so you'll be assigned a project that can be completed with a 32-bit FAHCore -- if those projects have not run out of WUs.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Also, there is no 64-bit download for Windows for version 7.5.1, the download page lists the available download as being for both 32 and 64-bit Windows.

As Bruce alludes to, parts of the F@h client are 32-bits. They are FAHControl and FAHClient. FAHViewer may also be 32-bit, but I have not looked at it on Windows in a long time. Neither of the first two are doing any processing that would ever require 64-bits, and are mostly inactive when processing a WU. The actual processing is done by the FAHCore processes, FAHClient will download 64-bit versions as required.

A major reason for upgrading is that most of the servers have moved from Stanford. There are redirects that have been in place since last year to handle the changes in addresses that the client will connect to, but occasionally there have been issues with the older version.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
castlebomb44

Post by castlebomb44 »

I finally got around to finally installing version 7.5.1 and did not run into any problems.
Thanks for all of the replies everyone