Telnet client question

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

tmontney

Telnet client question

Post by tmontney »

"bond <ip>:<port> <input> [output] [ip:port] Bond a packet file to a outgoing debug socket connection."

What is this command? I tried doing "bond 127.0.0.1:36331 $log-update", where 127.0.0.1:36331 was a test TCP listener. Received error "SocketDebugger not enabled".

What am I doing wrong? Is "bond" essentially the "update" command but it forwards that command data to a remote server? What I hope is that this is like a forward to syslog command.
bruce

Re: Telnet client question

Post by bruce »

If FAHClient is running on your system, it will be listening on port 36330. (I know nothing about 36331.) I use the telnet interface interactively. I'm not familiar with the bond command.

(If you're in Windows, you'll need to install telnet or the equivalent. If you're in Linux, it should already be there.)

From a terminal (Command) window, type "telnet 127.0.0.0 36330" and you'll get a response from FAHClient. You may then interact with FAHClient to test whatever you choose to do with it -- probably starting with the "help" command. It's a good idea to test your plan of action interactively before formalizing it in the form of a formatted file or script.
tmontney

Post by tmontney »

My question isn't how to telnet into FAHClient, I'm already there. I noticed from the help command about "bond" and something about that it sends debug information. It asks for an IP and port, so I assume it sends data via TCP/UDP to a server that listens. I just picked 36331 as an example.

Is there not documentation on FAHClient's telnet interface?
tmontney

Post by tmontney »

I think I might be getting somewhere, but this debug feature may not be what I think it is. Regardless, through the readme, I discovered: https://github.com/CauldronDevelopmentL ... requisites Noticed the word "cbang", same results when I was getting strings from the EXE. Part of the source had cbang in the path, when talking about the SocketDebugger.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Perhaps "bond" isn't a documented command anywhere, but simply a verb meaning "connect to"

If Telnet is working for you, why do you feel you need a telnet debug capability?

As far as FAHClient's telnet documentation, it's covered by the help report. Was there something else you needed? That documentation covers everything that FAHControl needs to interface with FAHClient, which is the whole reason it was developed. If you want to write a customized version of FAHControl or WebControl, you should be able to do it without much trouble.

C! (cbang) is a library of cross-platform C++ utilities used in developing FAH. so that it can be easily ported between Linux/Windows/MacOS. See https://github.com/CauldronDevelopmentLLC/cbang.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

tmontney wrote:Is there not documentation on FAHClient's telnet interface?
At one time there was a page on a development wiki that covered the telnet interface. However my link to that is about 4-5 years old and went to an old version of the F@h site. Since then the site has been changed several times and last Summer was moved from a server located at Stanford to a cloud server. That info might be locatable in webarchive, but I have not had the right search terms to locate it.

As Bruce mentioned, pretty much what documentation is available is found through the Help command. You might also want to look at the output from using fahclient --help at a command line.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
tmontney

Post by tmontney »

bruce wrote:Perhaps "bond" isn't a documented command anywhere, but simply a verb meaning "connect to"

If Telnet is working for you, why do you feel you need a telnet debug capability?
Because, I'm looking for a "send to syslog" capability, and I thought this bond command may have been it.

As for developing my own, I have thought about it, I still might. However, I was looking for this to have widespread adoption. I figure it's easier to accomplish what I want through a "helper" program rather than having someone install a forked build.
Last edited by tmontney on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tmontney

Post by tmontney »

Joe_H wrote:
tmontney wrote:Is there not documentation on FAHClient's telnet interface?
As Bruce mentioned, pretty much what documentation is available is found through the Help command. You might also want to look at the output from using fahclient --help at a command line.
I thought he was referring to the help command while within Telnet. I see that via FAHClient's help is far more comprehensive, lists options I didn't know about. Although I can override log rotation, the log isn't exactly parse friendly. It would be nice if the telnet update command allowed for forwarding to a remote server, instead of outputting to console.
tmontney

Post by tmontney »

I think I got enough info to determine Telnet is my best interface for now. Thanks for the input.
bruce

Post by bruce »

tmontney wrote:Although I can override log rotation, the log isn't exactly parse friendly. It would be nice if the telnet update command allowed for forwarding to a remote server...
FAHControl does have a log filtering capability which makes the log a lot more readable. (Parsing it by WU or by Slot.) While it doesn't contain all the options that I'd like, you might be able to use that code as a pre-filter. You might use it as a starting point for whatever you wish to build. Check the code either in C! or in the code for FAHControl in github.