Start with 3/4 GPUS

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MeeLee

Start with 3/4 GPUS

Post by MeeLee »

Is there a way to start 3 out of 4 GPUs upon reboot?

My system runs 4GPUs, power capped, and overclocked.
But on reboot those power and overclocking values are reset to stock, causing a much higher power usage, with the possibility of tripping a breaker.

I was wondering if there's a solution, where only 3 out of 4 GPUs will be started upon boot, so I can adjust the values when I manually start the 4th GPU?

Either that, or is there a way in Linux, to maintain power and overclocking settings upon reboot for Nvidia cards?
As far as I know, Nvidia's persistent mode doesn't keep OC and power cap values across reboots!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Start with 3/4 GPUS

Post by Joe_H »

The parameter pause-on-start set to true can be added to any folding slot. It can also be added under the Expert tab as an Extra client option to apply to all folding slots. Folding would have to be started after the restart on any slot set this way.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Using FAHControl, you can reconfigure your CPU slot to use 3 CPUs rather than 4.

The task scheduler in your OS is responsible for decidiing which task should be assigned to which CPU thread. FAH will not choose 3 dedicated CPUs to run an 100% but the total used by FAHCore_a* will be a total of about 75% so FAH will always leave 25% of your CPUs free at any moment, depending on what else is running.

Moreover, FAHCore_a* runs a an extremely low priority so other tasks that may be running on your system will take priority over FAHCore_a* and preempt it if they need processing.
foldinghomealone2

Post by foldinghomealone2 »

Bruce: He's talking about GPUs
bruce

Post by bruce »

Sorry about that.

Each GPU runs in its own slot. Each slot is either started or it isn't.
Joe_H wrote:The parameter pause-on-start set to true can be added to any folding slot. It can also be added under the Expert tab as an Extra client option to apply to all folding slots. Folding would have to be started after the restart on any slot set this way.
Any parameter placed in Expert tab applies to all slots, but you can set those same parameters on individual slots.
bruce

Post by bruce »

bruce wrote:Sorry about that.

Each GPU runs in its own slot. Each slot is either started or it isn't.
Joe_H wrote:The parameter pause-on-start set to true can be added to any folding slot. It can also be added under the Expert tab as an Extra client option to apply to all folding slots. Folding would have to be started after the restart on any slot set this way.
Any parameter placed in Expert tab (on first set of tabs) applies to all slots, but you can set those same parameters on an Expert tab that you get AFTER selecting a slot.
FAHControl + Configure + Slots + (choose a slot) + Edit + Add ...
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

I'll need to dig out exactly what I did previously, but I think adding

Code: Select all

nvidia-smi <gpu index> -pl <whatever number you want>
to /etc/rc.local
will do the trick and run at startup (and shutdown) to set power limits. You could also set persistence mode too with "-pm 1". Don't know about clock settings, but if they can be set by command line or script, then the same approach would work.