Outdated Linux instructions

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

panthro1971-2

Outdated Linux instructions

Post by panthro1971-2 »

Good night fellow folders and Folding team:

I tried to use the instructions to download the Linux packages for Ubuntu, as per https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/i ... -advanced/ using the Terminal in a VM running Ubuntu and the commands returned an error (something like a 404 error)... :shock: . I suppose that the pointers in that commands went to a previous version of the Folding software and need to be updated to the new core and Control. Just think it was worth to share my 5 cents.... :mrgreen:
gordonbb
Hardware configuration: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS; NVidia 525.60.11; 2 x 4070ti; 4070; 4060ti; 3x 3080; 3070ti; 3070

Re: Outdated Linux instructions

Post by gordonbb »

Newer version:

Code: Select all

wget https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fahclient/debian-stable-64bit/v7.5/fahclient_7.5.1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i fahclient_7.5.1_amd64.deb
To install the Advanced Control App

sudo apt install python dh-python python-gnome2
wget https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fahcontrol/debian-stable-64bit/v7.5/fahcontrol_7.5.1-1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i fahcontrol_7.5.1-1_all.deb
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

On modern debian based linux versions, you may need to 'apt-mark' some packages, as with a next 'apt upgrade' there might be packages that will be removed.
Also, in my case, Lubuntu needed more files than that.. Will test it out on 19.10 soon though.
Straight_Man

Post by Straight_Man »

I have been trying to fold, with mixed success, for about 10 years now. Ubuntu 19.10 has Python3 and subroutines that block installation of Fahviewer and Fahcontrol. I am not good enough at linux to manually replace the missing deps in Ubuntu 19.10, or the missing deps in 18.04 (desktop for both).

There is a typing error or a server pathway change for the wget command, error is 404 not found(could be file or directory). I typed in, checked against the coded material 4 times, and know I typed what the code script excerpt said to type. Please note that Canonical has made it very hard to do ANYTHING as root. sudo is best I can do.
gordonbb
Hardware configuration: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS; NVidia 525.60.11; 2 x 4070ti; 4070; 4060ti; 3x 3080; 3070ti; 3070

Post by gordonbb »

Straight_Man wrote:I have been trying to fold, with mixed success, for about 10 years now. Ubuntu 19.10 has Python3 and subroutines that block installation of Fahviewer and Fahcontrol. I am not good enough at linux to manually replace the missing deps in Ubuntu 19.10, or the missing deps in 18.04 (desktop for both).

There is a typing error or a server pathway change for the wget command, error is 404 not found(could be file or directory). I typed in, checked against the coded material 4 times, and know I typed what the code script excerpt said to type. Please note that Canonical has made it very hard to do ANYTHING as root. sudo is best I can do.
The Alternative Downloads can be found here:
https://foldingathome.org/alternative-downloads/

The instructions I posted work for Ubuntu 18.04.1 - .3.

sudo su -
is how I usually escalate my privileges to root. Ubuntu is just following best practices disallowing root login. I'm old school and still have accounts named "wheel" I use on *nix systems at work but I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the 90s and now use PKI for access to pretty much all systems except some really ancient VMS systems that are so old they have to be firewalled from the rest of the network.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

gordonbb wrote: I'm old school and still have accounts named "wheel" I use on *nix systems at work but I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the 90s and now use PKI for access to pretty much all systems except some really ancient VMS systems that are so old they have to be firewalled from the rest of the network.
how far back is "old school"? I learnt my Unix command line on AIX v2.2 around 1986 and was certified as a SCO Unix Netware Engineer (v early days of TCP/IP) in 1989.
single 1070

bruce

Post by bruce »

My experience with AIX was that it was Unix underneath but the put a lot of programming time into developing a multitude of GUI applications that prevented you from making typing errors at the command line level and helped you remember all the obscure options that you only used once in a long, long time.
gordonbb

Post by gordonbb »

HaloJones wrote:
gordonbb wrote: I'm old school and still have accounts named "wheel" I use on *nix systems at work but I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the 90s and now use PKI for access to pretty much all systems except some really ancient VMS systems that are so old they have to be firewalled from the rest of the network.
how far back is "old school"? I learnt my Unix command line on AIX v2.2 around 1986 and was certified as a SCO Unix Netware Engineer (v early days of TCP/IP) in 1989.
Learned to type on a DecWriter in the late 70s connected to a timeshare and keypunched Fortran IV which ran on a system 360 around the same time. Built my first computer in 1978 using a Intel 4004 with 2k RAM and toggle switches and LEDs with a flip-flop and push button to increment the program counter. I still remember having to hand load the bootstrap instructions to get the paper tape reader running on a Sperry Univac with 4K of Core memory.

We’ve come a long way in 45 years.
bruce

Post by bruce »

gordonbb wrote:We’ve come a long way in 45 years.
And in less that half that long, FAH had WUs that earned one point.
castlebomb44

Post by castlebomb44 »

gordonbb wrote:Newer version:

wget https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fahclient/debian-stable-64bit/v7.5/fahclient_7.5.1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i fahclient_7.5.1_amd64.deb
To install the Advanced Control App

wget https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fahcontrol/debian-stable-64bit/v7.5/fahcontrol_7.5.1-1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i fahcontrol_7.5.1-1_all.deb
I am also having problems installing the control part of fahcontrol on my Ubuntu 19.10 machine. I was able to install fahclient without any problems.

When I did:

I get:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package python-gnome2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'python-gnome2' has no installation candidate
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Since I didn't try from a new system,
Can anyone verify if this works in Debian (mint/*buntu/Debian)?
Try the procedure from terminal, rather than relying on the GUI, so you can see which packages are missing:

Folding At Home Client should work by just installing the .deb file from: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

For installing console,
Python-gnome2 package can be found in the archives here:
http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... _amd64.deb

Go to the downloaded directory, and do:

sudo dpkg -i --force-depends python-gnome2_2.28.1+dfsg-1.2_amd64.deb
mark file as manual installation (to prevent updates to remove or replace it by a more recent version):

sudo apt-mark manual python-gnome2
Install Control from: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

If there's any error, please update on what dependencies are reported missing.
All dependencies can be found here, but there's a possibility not all are needed. Only install those that the system says are missing or needed:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31972
castlebomb44

Post by castlebomb44 »

I am not great with the command line but I think I followed your instructions correctly. Yeah the Client installed without any problems.
But I ran into a problem... I downloaded that archive and did "sudo dpkg -i --force-depends python-gnome2_2.28.1+dfsg-1.2_amd64.deb" in the directory but I got this:

sudo dpkg -i --force-depends python-gnome2_2.28.1+dfsg-1.2_amd64.deb
[sudo] password for castlebomb44:
Selecting previously unselected package python-gnome2.
(Reading database ... 219817 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack python-gnome2_2.28.1+dfsg-1.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking python-gnome2 (2.28.1+dfsg-1.2) ...
dpkg: python-gnome2: dependency problems, but configuring anyway as you requested:
python-gnome2 depends on gconf-service; however:
Package gconf-service is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.17); however:
Package libart-2.0-2 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on libbonobo2-0 (>= 2.32.1-3~); however:
Package libbonobo2-0 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on libbonoboui2-0 (>= 2.15.1); however:
Package libbonoboui2-0 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on libgconf-2-4 (>= 3.2.5); however:
Package libgconf-2-4 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on libgnome-2-0; however:
Package libgnome-2-0 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on libgnomecanvas2-0 (>= 2.11.1); however:
Package libgnomecanvas2-0 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on libgnomeui-0 (>= 2.22.0); however:
Package libgnomeui-0 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 1:2.17.90); however:
Package libgnomevfs2-0 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0); however:
Package libgtk2.0-0 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on liborbit-2-0 (>= 1:2.14.10); however:
Package liborbit-2-0 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on python-gconf (= 2.28.1+dfsg-1.2); however:
Package python-gconf is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on python-gtk2 (>= 2.10.3); however:
Package python-gtk2 is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on python-pyorbit (>= 2.0.1-4); however:
Package python-pyorbit is not installed.
python-gnome2 depends on python-gobject-2 (>= 2.17.0); however:
Package python-gobject-2 is not installed.

Setting up python-gnome2 (2.28.1+dfsg-1.2) ...
castlebomb44

Post by castlebomb44 »

How do I undo "sudo dpkg -i --force-depends python-gnome2_2.28.1+dfsg-1.2_amd64.deb" ???
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Use: sudo purge python.. .Deb
All those dependencies need to be installed for it to work correctly, however, FAHControl could work without all of them.
You can follow the link posted to install all of them, and use apt-mark to lock python-gnome2 in your system...
castlebomb44

Post by castlebomb44 »

EDIT> I needed to delete this post.
Last edited by castlebomb44 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.