Client closed and wouldn't open, web base stopped working.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Sandman192
Hardware configuration: SW: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Video Drivers v516.01
HW: ASUS - 1 EVGA GeForce 1080Ti 11GB RAM - 1 GeForce EVGA 980 4GB RAM - CPU i7-5930K 3.5GHz boost to 4GHz, 32GB of RAM

FAH v7.6.21

Client closed and wouldn't open, web base stopped working.

Post by Sandman192 »

First. I installed F@H today on 2/9/20 and everything worked fine and it opened up F@H web-based client.

Second. I open up F@H viewer and only got a protein demo.

Third. I open up F@H control-based just to check it out. And I checked the logs and notice that I only get this error is when I opened up the F@H Viewer. ---> 19:52:21:ERROR:Receive error: 10053: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Then I went into "Preference" and scrolled through the "Themes" from "Aero" to "Aero-Ion" and as soon as I got to "Aero-Ion" and the client just closed. I tried to reopen it and nothing happens. I did this twice. After a while, I decided to close the F@H viewer. And what happens next, I got 3 F@H clients running at the same time and working fine. That's one bug.

The second bug is now the web-base client just started to flash and not showing any progress. I restarted my computer and still just flashes.

Windows 10 and F@H and all drivers all up to date. Windows Firewall popped up and allowed F@H to pass.
Last edited by Sandman192 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce

Re: Client closed and wouldn't to web base stopped working.

Post by bruce »

Google Chrome has dropped support for some of the features used by the web-based client. It still works with other browsers. (A new client is being developed but I'm not sure what changes are anticipated. Hopefully, this will be corrected somehow.)

Yes, the current Viewer for Windows only shows the demo protein. That's also on the list for the new client.

I'm not sure I understand item 3. You "got three clients running" Do you mean 3 viewers or 3 control programs? There should only be one copy of FAHClient running and it runs in the background.
Sandman192
Hardware configuration: SW: Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Video Drivers v516.01
HW: ASUS - 1 EVGA GeForce 1080Ti 11GB RAM - 1 GeForce EVGA 980 4GB RAM - CPU i7-5930K 3.5GHz boost to 4GHz, 32GB of RAM

FAH v7.6.21

Re: Client closed and wouldn't open, web base stopped workin

Post by Sandman192 »

1st. Chrom did work for at least 2 hours and then stopped. Don't know why it worked in Chrome just for that long? Again just downloaded it today.

2nd. For Viewer, not sure what you mean on new clients. Why has the Viewer stopped working and only shows demo? It wasn't that way before.

3rd. It's 3 control programs and yes it did that. But I would like F@H to make it so you can have as many viewers for each WU and auto cascade and for multi-monitors them for Screensaver. I might ask F@H on that.
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH isn't responsible for what Google decides to do. All they can do is respond (... unfortunately rather slowly :( ) or recommend that you choose a different browser.

The Viewer works with the output of one or more FAHCores but not with all. Unfortunately it depends on which FAHCore generate the data for the Viewer. I have been told this will be corrected in the new client, whenever it's ready for release.

FAH is not designed to run more that one Control program. A single copy of the Control program can manage multiple Clients. If you just want to see the status of muliple WUs and don't need to actually CONTROL things, many folks choose to run the 3rd party program HFM. I recommend it.
Sandman192

FAH v7.6.21

Post by Sandman192 »

Ok, you saying Viewer doesn't work on all WUs projects. I see now. No one still has not told me why I get an error message in the log every 16 sec every time I run the Viewer. I posted it before. I don't think that's normal. If it was then it won't end up in the log as an error. Sounds like a BUG.

On the FAHcontroller, I didn't say I want to run more than on Controler.
I'm saying it DID and had 3 running at one time. BUG
It did this when I had the Controler app running and I chang the Theam and it closed on me and I couldn't get the Controler back up. At the same time I had Viewer up and as soon as I close the Viewer I got 3 Controler apps running at the same time.

OMG no one reads and you didn't read my first post either. I'm reporting on what appears to be bugs.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Apparently you didn't understand my responses. Bugs 1 and 2 have already been reported and are on the list of things to be fixed in the next client.

I don't know what happens every 16 seconds -- you didn't post that log -- but my guess is that it's the Google Chrome problem. Close all of the Control programs. You do NOT need to have a control program running. (FAHClient and the FAHCores will continue running entirely in the background.) Wait a while and then look at the log. Did the error messages quit?
Sandman192

FAH v7.6.21

Post by Sandman192 »

Bugs 1 and 2 have already been reported and are on the list of things to be fixed in the next client.
Ok thanks.
I don't know what happens every 16 seconds -- you didn't post that log
Yes I did it's in my first post and I don't say it was Chrome. I said it's from F@H viewer and it's showing up in F@H control app log. And the log quit after I quit F@H VIEWER.
You didn't read the first post! Close all of the Control programs. You do NOT need to have a control program running.
This is would be my 2rd time saying this "Copy and past what I said before"
On the FAHcontroller, I didn't say I want to run more than one Controller.
I'm saying it DID and had 3 running at one time. BUG
bruce

Post by bruce »

How many copies of FAHClient are running? You should only have one. How are you starting it?

When it starts, it may also start FAHControl ... which can be closed manually.

Also, there are certain Aero Themes that don't work with the current FAHControl program ... and perhaps with the Viewer, as well. I don't think anybody has determined which ones work and which ones don't work. Without a more detailed bug report, it's not likely that this will be corrected in the next client.

Personally, I've found a theme that works and I've never bothered with the ones that don't.
Sandman192

FAH v7.6.21

Post by Sandman192 »

When it starts?
I post it from the start on when F@H just closed on me by changing the Theme and what Theme and so on FROM THE FIRST POST.

Not repeating myself.
bruce

Post by bruce »

If you had posted your log, I'd be able to tell if you're running WIndows7 or Windows10 but you haven't done that yet.
Sandman192

FAH v7.6.21

Post by Sandman192 »

but you haven't done that yet.
I haven't done that yet??? Are you kidding me!!!

LOG AND WINDOWS VERSON ON THE FIRST POST I MADE. IN DETAIL.

I'm done here.

At least I some one to say that there are 2 known bugs being looked at. Just not the third BUG that I reported.

Again I'm done here and don't really care because I see the BUG seems to be minor.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Yes, you did say WINDOWS !0. I apologize for missing that and for being so abrupt.

I was looking for the FAH log, and I still don't see that. (See the signature block of my first message.)

I'll do some additional digging into the 3rd bug you reported and see what else I can find.

I, too, am seeing unexplained messages about connections being aborted by the software in (my) host machine.
Sandman192 wrote:
but you haven't done that yet.
I haven't done that yet??? Are you kidding me!!!

LOG AND WINDOWS VERSON ON THE FIRST POST I MADE. IN DETAIL.

I'm done here.

At least I some one to say that there are 2 known bugs being looked at. Just not the third BUG that I reported.

Again I'm done here and don't really care because I see the BUG seems to be minor.
Sandman192

FAH v7.6.21

Post by Sandman192 »

Thank You.

Sorry but I'm tired of giving out bugs reports (not just at F@H) and seem no one reads the whole thing and/or thinks before they answer. Some ask me something that I all ready reported or say I said something that I never did.

This is to report to devs, Not for questions on how to fix it. Or just to ask for what "types" of logs if they want it. I know I can't fix this problem, just it's there and miner..

I tried to make it simple and to the point.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

You may have tried to make it simple, but you left out much important information by oversimplification. For starters, posting one line out of a log removes it from any context and is not much use in tracking down problems.

Next, it is still not all that clear what you had running. There are three main components to the F@h client, FAHClient, FAHControl, and the FAHCores. There is also the Web Control app, and a FAHCore_Wrapper process that runs when a folding core is active. Nor is it clear how you have configured your folding client.

So, as stated, you never actually did post a log. Much of the information asked of you would have been provided by that. So at this point what we have is nothing to pass onto the developer, and at best have just another spotting of known bugs and deficiencies of the client. If there was something new, well with what you have provided so far we could never tell.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Feel free to check whether a bug you notice has alrady been reported. (Developers don't like it when they have to close reports that happen to be a duplicate of something that has already been reported.)
https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues/issues