Managing CPU threads

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

M&M_Dutch
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: Intel Processor Cores 6, Threads 12, Specification: Intel Core i7-10710U CPU @ 1.10GHz
Motherboard: Manufacturer: Intel Corporation, Model NUC10i7FNB (U3E1)
Graphics: Monitor = BenQ GW2470 on Intel UHD Graphics
Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution 1920x1040 pixels
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 59 Hz

Intel UHD Graphics:
Manufacturer Intel
Model UHD Graphics

Managing CPU threads

Post by M&M_Dutch »

Note from Mod:
This topic was previously attached to a discussion of another subject.
I've split it into a new topic.

I have not so much as a immediate problem, but I do have some concern: since fahcore22, there's after 5 minutes the pc has be turned on, a sudden increase in temperature to almost to 90 C / 194 F. In most cases, this only last for +/- 15 seconds, and the returns to a value I am used to on my pc (around 70 C / 158 F). Sometimes, however, the temperature rushes to a alarming 100 C / 212 F (!) and Core Temp (an addon I use to monitor the temperature of the 4 cores) will kick in and hibernates the pc.
Last edited by M&M_Dutch on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Getting fahcore 22 projects - crashing my 1080ti

Post by toTOW »

This has nothing to to with the original problem : you're using core A7 on your CPU, not core 22 on the GPU. You don't even have a usable GPU in your configuration.

A7 core is using AVX instructions in your CPU and it is known to generate more heat than the SSE2 instructions used by older A4 core.

The solution is simple : improve the cooling of your CPU and case. It might be a good idea to redo the application of thermal grease or to replace the CPU heatsink (judging by your system specs, you probably have the crappy Intel one).

Note : 90 or 100°C is still in acceptable range (with temperatures read from Core Temp) for an Intel CPU with it's stock cooling and standard BIOS regulation curve.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
M&M_Dutch
CPU: Intel Processor Cores 6, Threads 12, Specification: Intel Core i7-10710U CPU @ 1.10GHz
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor Frequency 59 Hz

Intel UHD Graphics:
Manufacturer Intel
Model UHD Graphics

Post by M&M_Dutch »

toTOW wrote:This has nothing to to with the original problem : you're using core A7 on your CPU, not core 22 on the GPU. You don't even have a usable GPU in your configuration.

A7 core is using AVX instructions in your CPU and it is known to generate more heat than the SSE2 instructions used by older A4 core.

The solution is simple : improve the cooling of your CPU and case. It might be a good idea to redo the application of thermal grease or to replace the CPU heatsink (judging by your system specs, you probably have the crappy Intel one).

Note : 90 or 100°C is still in acceptable range (with temperatures read from Core Temp) for an Intel CPU with it's stock cooling and standard BIOS regulation curve.
Ok thx for your answer. I found it better post in this topic, rather than starting a new topic. Clearly, I was in error.
M&M_Dutch
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor Frequency 59 Hz

Intel UHD Graphics:
Manufacturer Intel
Model UHD Graphics

Post by M&M_Dutch »

Have set folding power to lowest (light). Works for me too, with decent temps. Pity adjusting the slide is only light-medium-full and nothing in between. Patience, patience ;)
bruce

Post by bruce »

M&M_Dutch wrote:Pity adjusting the slide is only light-medium-full and nothing in between.
As has been said before, the choices available to the slider are limited, but if you use FAHClient, you open up many more choices.
M&M_Dutch
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor Frequency 59 Hz

Intel UHD Graphics:
Manufacturer Intel
Model UHD Graphics

Post by M&M_Dutch »

bruce wrote:
M&M_Dutch wrote:Pity adjusting the slide is only light-medium-full and nothing in between.
As has been said before, the choices available to the slider are limited, but if you use FAHClient, you open up many more choices.
No need to get annoyed (=judging by your first 5 choice of words). But could you care to elaborate ?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

The solution is simple : get a decent CPU cooler.

And don't forget to clean regularly your case, dust filters, heatsink, ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
JimboPalmer

Re: Managing CPU threads

Post by JimboPalmer »

"But could you care to elaborate ?"

There is a F@H icon in the Task Bar near the right. You may need to click an Up Arrow ^ to see it.
Once you click on it, Advanced Control is the second option from the top. Click that.

In Advanced Control, there is Configure to the left. Click that.

The third Tab is Slots, click that.

In the white space should be at least one cpu slot Select it and Click Edit

There should be a Radio Button selected for CPUs, below that is the number of CPUs to use.

By default, it is -1, meaning let the software decide, as it usually does a good job. But not Always.

You can change it to as many CPUs as you have (in this context, they mean Threads)

Your log shows us you have 4. So you can enter anything between 4 and 1.*

08:42:23: CPUs: 4

The next Work Unit you do will take advantage of your change. (I think it can go down immediately, but only goes up when you start a new WU)

* there is a 'feature' of the underlying GROMACS code that hates large primes and their multiples. 7 and above is always large, 5 is occasionally large and 3 never is. Multiples of 2 and 3 are safe but very, very rarely multiples of 5 are not. Since you only have 4 CPUs, it is not a problem for this PC.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Some bioses allow you to undervolt your CPU by -0.05 to 0.10V. This will reduce heat, and works the same as overclocking (overclocking is higher frequency on stable voltage; undervolting is stock speed at lower voltage).
But the procedures are for advanced PC tuners (they're not easy, and you can brick your PC, or have failed WUs because of this, when done incorrectly).

Another option is to get a better CPU cooler, they're pretty cheap online ($20 gets you a decent tower cooler).
And/Or add a case fan, or keep your PC open (in case it's a tower), so the CPU doesn't suck back in as much of it's exhausted air.
M&M_Dutch
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor Frequency 59 Hz

Intel UHD Graphics:
Manufacturer Intel
Model UHD Graphics

Post by M&M_Dutch »

Thanks toTOW and JimboPalmer for the helpful answers!
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

All the help gets better when the title matches the problem, all the help gets frustrated when the title has nothing to do with the problem.
Tsar of all the Rushers
M&M_Dutch
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor Frequency 59 Hz

Intel UHD Graphics:
Manufacturer Intel
Model UHD Graphics

Post by M&M_Dutch »

JimboPalmer wrote:All the help gets better when the title matches the problem, all the help gets frustrated when the title has nothing to do with the problem.
And sometimes it takes just a little effort to look simply beyond the title....♥
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

M&M_Dutch wrote:
JimboPalmer wrote:All the help gets better when the title matches the problem, all the help gets frustrated when the title has nothing to do with the problem.
And sometimes it takes just a little effort to look simply beyond the title....♥
Or a bit of effort on your part to post on topic, not hijack a post totally unrelated to the issue you are looking for assistance with.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

M&M_Dutch wrote:
It takes even less effort not to help at all. We do what we find easy. When you want help, try to be easy.

Off topic I don't help car owners who spell them breaks, it never ends well if they can't spell brakes.
Tsar of all the Rushers
M&M_Dutch
State Enabled, Primary
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor Frequency 59 Hz

Intel UHD Graphics:
Manufacturer Intel
Model UHD Graphics

Post by M&M_Dutch »

Joe_H wrote:
M&M_Dutch wrote:
Or a bit of effort on your part to post on topic, not hijack a post totally unrelated to the issue you are looking for assistance with.
Rather strong word "hijack", and a ridiculous thing to say. I'll leave it at that. Best to close this topic