Viewer not displaying current work unit

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

mfpotter

Viewer not displaying current work unit

Post by mfpotter »

For some time now, the Viewer does not display the current work unit that my computer is processing. When I select "Viewer" from the Advanced Control Client, the same generic molecule is always displayed. The fields for 'Current Work Unit' (Project/FahCore/Progress/Time Left) are unpopulated, as are the fields for "Donor" (Name/Team). For "Status", the Connection field always displays 'Trying'; Protein always displays 'Demo'; and 'Slot' is always empty.

Any thoughts/suggestions on how to get the Viewer to properly display the current work unit?

Thanks,
Mike Potter
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Viewer not displaying current work unit

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

This is a known bug with the Viewer. From what I have seen posted the Viewer does not work to display current WU's on Windows at all. On OS X, and as I recall when I had a Linux system active, the Viewer will display CPU WU's using the A7 folding core. It did not work to display CPU WU's using the A4 core, but that has been retired now.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
mfpotter

Post by mfpotter »

Joe,

That's a bummer. My recollections are that this used to work many years ago on Windows (I've never owned a Mac or Linux computer), but I have no feel for when it might have stopped.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Best regards,
Mike
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Supposedly it worked under 7.4, and went wrong on 7.5. I have never tried it as I was saving all my GPU cycles for F@H work.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Yes, the viewer worked on 7.4 for CPU projects using the A4 core, but not the A7 core. It did not work for the GPU cores out then, but people have reported that it works with the Core_22 WU's now being distributed. So steps forward and backwards.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Display of the current WU requires a Viewer that obtians images from wherever the FAHCore puts them ... which essentially requires all FAHCores to be consistent with one-another. Since FAHCore updates happen independently of revisions to the Viewer (and by different teams) it's not surprising the the necessary coordination doesn't always happen. Then, too, when a FAHCore enters beta testing, the Viewer doesn't always get re-tested with all FAHCores and on all platforms. (yes, beta testing is done by volunteers including me).

Sorry. :oops:

Hopefully, this will get cleared up when the next client (and Viewer) get released.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

If you want to see current Core_22 work units like the Corona-Virus proteins then on Windows you can copy the FAHViewer.exe from FAH-Client 7.4.4 to the current installed FAH-Client 7.5.1 folder.