Web side of things only works in Private Browsing Win10x64

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

WalnutSpice

Web side of things only works in Private Browsing Win10x64

Post by WalnutSpice »

Hi, new to this software and also new to Win10 (Not new to Windows, unfortunately). Trying to get everything set up and going but it seems I can only get the internet browser side of things going when I move into Private browsing, otherwise it's just an infinite refresh loop. The first go started fine, then this started happening. I uninstalled the program, signed out, back in and reinstalled. It's still doing the same thing. I do currently have it running, just incognito. So it's not much of an issue but if someone has a fix in mind, lemme know.

I do still have Win7Ultx64 installed on my other SSD, so if you think that'd work better, I can swap back to that as well.

I'm using the latest version of Opera and Windows 10 LTSC 1809 x64.

I also notice there is only an x32 version of folding at home on the site, is there an x64 version available anywhere that can make better use of my CPU cores?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Web side of things only works in Private Browsing Win10x

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

There have been reported problems with the Web Control and Google Chrome since they made some changes a few months ago to Chrome. Recently people have been also reporting problems with Opera. It is interesting to hear that it works when using Private Browsing.

Firefox and Edge have been reported as working okay with Web Control.

From reports, some things may work better in Win7, no experience with that myself.

The client itself is a 32-bit app, but that just handles downloading, running the WU's in a separate process, and then uploading the results. The actual folding work is done in 64-bit folding cores that the client also downloads as needed. That would be the first time a folding core is used for a WU, and then if an updated version is created and required for a future project.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3