Installing on Debian Buster

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RoyK

Installing on Debian Buster

Post by RoyK »

Hi

Seems installing on Debian buster doesn't work - dependency issues. A friend tried it on Fedora. It installed, but crashed a lot. On ARM, there's nothing, as far as I can see (perhaps unless you run Android, which isn't very useful for anything else but handhelds, where running f@h isn't useful at all, since it drains the battery).

So - can you please open the source so that we can get true, working releases? I have read your arguments on why not to open the source, and they don't make sense at all. Just write the code well, and it won't be exploited.

roy
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Installing on Debian Buster

Post by Joe_H »

There are supported Linux distros for the F@h client. For those and ones that are not supported there are people here who can provide help on getting the client installed and working.

As for opening the source, parts already are open source and available on GitHub and elsewhere. Other parts are not going to change on that front. In any case, the changes have to usable on not just Linux, but also on Windows and OS X.

As for your argument that it won't be exploited, there have been too many examples in distributed computing where exactly that has happened. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
RoyK

Post by RoyK »

If it really is impossible to opensource parts of the code, would it be possible to opensource a working version and just include a portable BLOB for x86/64 and relevant ARM, including Raspberry pi GPU support? That could be a good way to get the best of two worlds, IMHO
whitehat.berlin

Post by whitehat.berlin »

I'm running a mix Buster/Sid (the Devuan related ones... I wanted to post a link but, yeah, the antispam got me)
and works for me, currently running on CPU. Just ordered a couple of GPUs

but... I can't get FAHcontrol installed, it depends on python-gnome2 which is not available since several Debian releases... who's on the topic?
mhmediaonline
Hardware configuration: (1) Intel NUC

CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2820 @ 2.13GHz
CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 3
CPUs: 2
Memory: 3.74GiB
Free Memory: 1.41GiB
Threads: POSIX_THREADS
OS Version: 4.19

(2) HP XW8400

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5150 @ 2.66GHz
CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
CPUs: 4
Memory: 31.42GiB
Free Memory: 30.77GiB
Threads: POSIX_THREADS
05:03:24:WU01:FS00:0xa7: OS Version: 4.19

Post by mhmediaonline »

Hi,

I got annoyed with this after several failed attempts so I just did this:

dpkg --ignore-depends=python-gnome2 -i fahcontrol_7.5.1-1_all.deb

and the installation appeared to work (I.e. it didn't fail). I can now run FAHControl successfully. I'm running FAHClient on another machine. I think this is one of those "it works but I'm not sure why" moments.

FWIW, the default version of Python on my box is:

Code: Select all

Python 2.7.16 (default, Oct 10 2019, 22:02:15) 
[GCC 8.3.0] on linux2