GPU not detected

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ableeker

Re: GPU not detected

Post by ableeker »

People in this forum said to modify FAHClient (it's text). Open /etc/init.d/FAHClient, and change USER at the top of the file from fahclient to root. It seems to be a permission thing, this did the trick for me. FAHControl now says this:

GPUs 1
GPU 0 Bus: 3 Slot: 0 Func: 0 AMD: 5 Vega 10 XL/XT [Radeon RX Vega 56/64]
OpenCL Device 0 Platform: 0 Device:Bus: 3 Slot:0 Compute:2.0 Driver: 3019.0

Admittedly, it's still not crunching GPU WU's, but that's to be expected at this time.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The install script is supposed to create a user named fahclient with restricted permissions and give its files the right permissions and then run the FAHClient daemon as that user. Debugging that installation failure is a bigger challenge than simply running as root ... and the added risk is minimal.
tkoeller

Post by tkoeller »

The client attempts to load libOpenCL.so, which I consider to be a bug. That link is part of the development package, which no program should depend upon at runtime. The correct thing to do would be to load libOpenCL.so.1 instead.
ableeker

Post by ableeker »

The GPU is detected, and FAH has downloaded a WU today. But then it started on it, stopped, and complained about a BAD_WORK_UNIT. That's another topic I guess.
ableeker

Post by ableeker »

I caved, I admit it. I was running Ubuntu 19.10 with ROCm 2.10 OpenCL, but in the end I just couldn't get FAH to work on GPU WU's. Even when FAH started to recognise the GPU, and OpenCL, it stopped with bad WU's. So today I decided to try AMD's OpenCL. Unfortunately, that's next to impossible to get working on anything but Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. So I did a clean install of 18.04, and have installed AMD OpenCL (part of amdgpu-pro, that's only supported on 18.04). This time this worked great, and I was able to install FAHClient. I could even install FAHControl without work-arounds, because can you just install python-gnome2 on 18.04. I still had trouble because FAH at first didn't recognise the GPU, and then couldn't find OpenCL. To fix this I had to add user fahclient to the video group, and modify FAHClient to start as root. Even when that was done, it didn't work straight away, I had to resort to stuff like setting GPU=true, restarting service FAHClient, and even restarting the computer. That took a while, but right now it's working on a CPU WU, and is halfway through a GPU WU! So I got there in the end.
Frogging101

Post by Frogging101 »

ableeker wrote:I caved, I admit it. I was running Ubuntu 19.10 with ROCm 2.10 OpenCL, but in the end I just couldn't get FAH to work on GPU WU's. Even when FAH started to recognise the GPU, and OpenCL, it stopped with bad WU's. So today I decided to try AMD's OpenCL. Unfortunately, that's next to impossible to get working on anything but Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. So I did a clean install of 18.04, and have installed AMD OpenCL (part of amdgpu-pro, that's only supported on 18.04). This time this worked great, and I was able to install FAHClient. I could even install FAHControl without work-arounds, because can you just install python-gnome2 on 18.04. I still had trouble because FAH at first didn't recognise the GPU, and then couldn't find OpenCL. To fix this I had to add user fahclient to the video group, and modify FAHClient to start as root. Even when that was done, it didn't work straight away, I had to resort to stuff like setting GPU=true, restarting service FAHClient, and even restarting the computer. That took a while, but right now it's working on a CPU WU, and is halfway through a GPU WU! So I got there in the end.
I'm glad that you managed to get it working. In case you're interested, I have some more information about the OpenCL and permissions issues in my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=33353
ableeker

Post by ableeker »

Frogging101, I've seen a number of install scripts, but your method looks quite interesting. I've tried these scripts, but none have worked for me so far on Ubuntu 19.10. That's why I've installed 18.04, you don't have to use a script. I was able to install OpenCL using the command 'amdgpu-pro-install --no-dkms --opencl=pal --headless', that's supposed to install OpenCL only. So far it has been working great, even allowing me to crunch FAH WU's. FAHClient, and FAHControl are content only to use OpenCL when it's installed just so, while other programs are quite happy to run any old OpenCL.
Rainmaker
Hardware configuration: AMD Threadripper 3960X underclocked/undervolted to 3.7GHz 1.0125v
Asus RoG Strix TRX40-E Gaming motherboard
32GB DDR4 3600MHz 16,16,16,36 (Samsung B-Die)
Sapphire Vega 56 overclocked/undervolted to 1662MHz 1070mV
Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe SSD
Linux FTW

Post by Rainmaker »

ableeker wrote:Huh, I tell a lie... Earlier it was finally working, but i just checked again, and it's back to 'Not detected: clGetDeviceIDs() returned -1'. And, yes, fahclient is a member of the video group...
See this thread for the fix.

Edit: With this method (replacing the systemd service file) you don't need to run as root or do anything but add a GPU (with amdgpu-pro opencl installed) and run normally.