CentOS 8 - anyone have F@H running?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MrGuvernment

CentOS 8 - anyone have F@H running?

Post by MrGuvernment »

Hey all,

Doing up a VM, I am a CentOS guy, but seems i can not get the client to even install, fully updated clean new install, the guide on the F@H site could be updated, as it goes to 7.4. versions FYI.

Error is around Lib* which it has, or does the client not support the latest?

Any help is appreciated.
MrGuvernment

Re: CentOS 8 - anyone have F@H running?

Post by MrGuvernment »

F@H need 64bit libraries and only 32bit are installed I believe...? Why would a 64bit CentOS install not use 64bit OpenSSL?

IvantheDugtrio

Post by IvantheDugtrio »

I'm trying to get it working but ran into other dependency issues. Check the following thread though it looks like the libssl1.0.0 package that this file comes from was deprecated a long time ago. https://askubuntu.com/questions/339364/ ... -directory

The FAH website recommends running rpm -i --nodeps fahclient...rpm but the process fails to start. Also after installing FAHControl, I had to rename the shabang to use "python2" instead of "python" which was assumed to be python 2.x. This stuff is oooold. Also after fixing that it can't find another python module "gtk" but I think that one has been renamed or something.
mdoneske

Post by mdoneske »

I ran into the ssl problem and resolved it by installing the compat-openssl10 package. Once it is installed it worked for me. I gave up on FAHControl as I;m not inclined to install a bunch of old software to make something work. I've tried on Centos 8 and Ubuntu 19.10
MrGuvernment

Post by MrGuvernment »

Good to know on the compat install will try that.

As you noted Ivan i had the same issue when run with --nodeps, doesnt do anything.

Is this due to the rpm's just being out of date for linux i presume? dont really want to run CentOS 6.7 just to run F@H....
David_Wheeler
Hardware configuration: CM341 Mini tower, Corsair 1000W PSU, Asus Rampage II Gene, 980X water cooled, 2xGTX460(768MB), 12GB 1600 DDR3, Patriot 256GB SSD

Post by David_Wheeler »

Couldn't get FAHClient 7.5.1 to work with the newer libssl and lib crypto on Fedora 31. FAHClient 7.4.4 works.
rixon
Hardware configuration: Linux / Xeon / Tesla / HPC

Post by rixon »

MrGuvernment wrote:As you noted Ivan i had the same issue when run with --nodeps, doesnt do anything.

Is this due to the rpm's just being out of date for linux i presume? dont really want to run CentOS 6.7 just to run F@H....
Yes, the --nodeps workaround is a common thing with old RPMs with Python dependencies being installed on RHEL/CentOS 8. I've run into this quite a bit, and used various workarounds. You can update alternatives, which will allow /usr/bin/python to symlink to python2, but that can cause other problems... but realistically it'll probably fix more than it breaks, as I'm not sure anybody ever had /usr/bin/python be for Python 3. The "correct fix" is to rebuild the RPMs with the updated dependencies, i.e. python2 and /usr/bin/python2 in the scripts. Unfortunately, this would require maintaining different RPMs for different OS versions. :?
rixon
Hardware configuration: Linux / Xeon / Tesla / HPC

Post by rixon »

David_Wheeler wrote:Couldn't get FAHClient 7.5.1 to work with the newer libssl and lib crypto on Fedora 31. FAHClient 7.4.4 works.
What exactly didn't work on 7.5.1? Did the client start? Installed but wouldn't start? Wouldn't even install?
IvantheDugtrio

Post by IvantheDugtrio »

rixon wrote:
MrGuvernment wrote:As you noted Ivan i had the same issue when run with --nodeps, doesnt do anything.

Yes, the --nodeps workaround is a common thing with old RPMs with Python dependencies being installed on RHEL/CentOS 8. I've run into this quite a bit, and used various workarounds. You can update alternatives, which will allow /usr/bin/python to symlink to python2, but that can cause other problems... but realistically it'll probably fix more than it breaks, as I'm not sure anybody ever had /usr/bin/python be for Python 3. The "correct fix" is to rebuild the RPMs with the updated dependencies, i.e. python2 and /usr/bin/python2 in the scripts. Unfortunately, this would require maintaining different RPMs for different OS versions. :?
I would see making distro-version specific packages as a necessity going forward, considering the lack of compatibility between python2 and python3 and their dependencies. Alternative FAH packages could instead be hosted on PyPI or through conda so that distros are no longer a dependency. Docker containers are another option to avoid worrying about environmental dependencies and for easy management.
ardevd

Post by ardevd »

You could also go the container route and just use Docker/Podman to get Folding up and running in a manner of seconds.
David_Wheeler
Hardware configuration: CM341 Mini tower, Corsair 1000W PSU, Asus Rampage II Gene, 980X water cooled, 2xGTX460(768MB), 12GB 1600 DDR3, Patriot 256GB SSD

Post by David_Wheeler »

7.5.1 installed OK. /usr/bin/FAHClient complained about not finding the versions of libssl and libcrypto with the same error messages as the OP. I had been creating and deleting soft links in lib64 to point older versions of the libs to the newer ones and never did get 7.5.1 to recognize the libs. Maybe the APIs have changed too much from the depricated version.
I tried 7.4.4 and it started right up. Maybe something I did allowed 7.4.4 to recognize the libraries.
It's a headless machine I don't use for anything else and it's GPU folding now so I'm not inclined to dig any deeper. This was a fresh Linux install of the most recent Fedora server release and I also had to fight with the NVidia drivers which needed patching to compile. It's not easy being headless. It took a day to go from bare metal to running one app.
IvantheDugtrio

Post by IvantheDugtrio »

ardevd wrote:You could also go the container route and just use Docker/Podman to get Folding up and running in a manner of seconds.
I found this on Reddit and it seems to work out of the box. It doesn't seem to take a passkey and at the moment I cannot test if it works as I don't have a GPU on my linux machine and there are no CPU WUs available for now.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Folding/commen ... ker_image/