When does Work Unit get officially Assigned?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Kornflake

When does Work Unit get officially Assigned?

Post by Kornflake »

Hello!
I accidentally paused my client during a download which I think interrupted the download process. When does my client actually tell the server that I'm going to work on the Work Unit and not give it to someone else? One thing that is important is for us to try to return Work Units quickly. I wouldn't want to download a Work Unit and have it be assigned to me and then I never return it which will slow the project down. So the question is, at what specific step does Folding at Home considering you as having the Work Unit to where it won't try to assign it to someone else until the timeout period occurs?

Thanks!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: When does Work Unit get officially Assigned?

Post by Joe_H »

The download time is recorded at the time the WU is completely downloaded as far as I know. The log file would show whether the pause interrupted the download.

Each project has two time values associated with it. Timeout is the length of time after which the server will automatically send out another copy of the WU, and Quick Return Bonus points will not be earned if the WU ends up coming in after that point. Deadline is the point after which no points would be given, and the WU is deleted the next time it is started or a return upload is started.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3