Linux manual installation guide references old version

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Frogging101

Linux manual installation guide references old version

Post by Frogging101 »

The Linux Manual Installation (advanced) guide links to old versions of the Folding@Home packages, which is leading to reports on this forum of people having trouble installing them due to outdated dependencies.

The links should be updated to point to the latest versions, or the guide should just direct donors to this page which (should) always have the latest version listed: https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/.

The guides and information under the Support section of the website need some updating in general, actually. I hesitate to point this out, because I have too often seen this sort of innocent suggestion result in a decision to remove or replace the flawed thing instead of fixing it or leaving it alone. This is often part of a well-intentioned but nebulous "someone, someday" (read: nobody, never) plan to bring it back better than ever.

I therefore present the following disclaimer:
There is useful information in the Support section, even though some of it is outdated or incorrect. With this in mind, I implore you to resist the temptation to fix this and every other problem with the website by "revamping" it in a manner that involves removing swaths of existing content. Leave it better or leave it be.

Thank you.