Set to not pause when on battery, but it pauses anyway

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Zangtastic13

Set to not pause when on battery, but it pauses anyway

Post by Zangtastic13 »

I've unchecked the setting which tells a laptop to pause when running on battery (i.e. when not plugged into the mains).

However, the application pauses its work with the reason given as "Paused:on battery".

I have tried restarting the application, but to no avail.

Possible bug? Any ideas how to fix it?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Set to not pause when on battery, but it pauses anyway

Post by Joe_H »

I ran into this a year or two ago. Is the slider on the control set to Light? In that setting, the pause on battery setting does not get overridden, and a laptop will still pause folding. It apparently is a "feature". On the Medium and Full settings turning off the pause on battery setting will work.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

Yes, it’s a deliberate feature.
You’ll want to set your desired cpu count in slot options, then move slider to medium or full.
You can then fold on battery.
Zangtastic13

Post by Zangtastic13 »

Thanks for the solution.

I would recommend that some text is placed next to the battery setting, that says "Note, will only run on battery if set to Medium of Full Folding Power".

This will fix the problem for almost every person from this point on. I think this important because that could account for a lot more computing power, especially as more people seem to have laptops now than desktops.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Laptops can run for a very limited time on battery while folding, my MacBook Pro lasts less than half an hour. I only use the setting to avoid folding pausing just because the cat jumped onto my lap and disconnected the MagSafe connector. During that time I can see the battery charge percentage steadily dropping. It is good for a few minutes, not for any extensive use for folding.

Zangtastic13

Post by Zangtastic13 »

Also note, it would be more sensible to run at a lower level (Light) when on battery power, rather than medium and above. In my opinion of course. Running at a higher folding power level, will drain a battery more quickly, but running on the Light level would be better. Also, the current system is not intuitive.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Even running on light, F@h will drain a laptop battery quickly. Those figures are with my laptop set the same as Light.

Wizard98x

Post by Wizard98x »

YES YES YES - PLEASE - Put on the screen of the "advanced control" program and even NOTE THIS during install process that you must have a setting to Medium or High for it to run on battery. I've been driving myself crazy with this - even looking to see if anyone has some kind of API or whatever thing to fool windows into thinking it is on power when it is on battery - or to disable the function in windows of switching and then plug in and the disable that switch and then go to battery. I really don't want my computer pause, and I always cycle my laptop from 100% down to 15% before plugging back in to avoid battery "memory" problems with capacity. PLEASE make a note of this feature (power setting in your app) so that nobody else goes crazy. Thanks.