Will I lose credit for a W/U if I pause folding?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Unclebadtouch

Will I lose credit for a W/U if I pause folding?

Post by Unclebadtouch »

I notice that sometimes a W/U will complete, but fail to upload as my credit slowly dwindles. I've seen this periodically for years. Would pausing folding, then un-pausing help speed up the upload process.
davidcoton

Re: Will I lose credit for a W/U if I pause folding?

Post by davidcoton »

I've not tested that, but I think (as with download attempts) it will reset the retry timer. Whether that makes the upload happen any quicker is anyone's guess, and you will lose some points on the active WU.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Pausing will reduce your bonus because it will take you longer to complete the WU but I'm pretty confident that is unrelated to whether an individual upload attempt will succeed or fail.

The time to complete the WU is measured from the initiation of the download to the acceptance of the upload, so the time spent retrying DOES reduce your bonus. FAH is certainly aware of that problem and the experts are working on ways to improve the situation.
Unclebadtouch

Post by Unclebadtouch »

davidcoton wrote:I've not tested that, but I think (as with download attempts) it will reset the retry timer. Whether that makes the upload happen any quicker is anyone's guess, and you will lose some points on the active WU.
We're close to the same individual rank. :)
Unclebadtouch

Post by Unclebadtouch »

bruce wrote:Pausing will reduce your bonus because it will take you longer to complete the WU but I'm pretty confident that is unrelated to whether an individual upload attempt will succeed or fail.

The time to complete the WU is measured from the initiation of the download to the acceptance of the upload, so the time spent retrying DOES reduce your bonus. FAH is certainly aware of that problem and the experts are working on ways to improve the situation.
The W/U has completed b/c it says 100%, but the progress bar is green, and doesn't go away. Meanwhile, my points slowly trickle downward.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Unclebadtouch wrote:...The W/U has completed b/c it says 100%, but the progress bar is green, and doesn't go away. Meanwhile, my points slowly trickle downward.
While the actual details will be in your log file, it is likely that the completed WU isn't successfully sent back to the Servers. This is known and unfortunately, everyone's in the same boat :( Hopefully, this will be resolved soon but there's no ETA AFAIK.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

Unclebadtouch wrote: The W/U has completed b/c it says 100%, but the progress bar is green, and doesn't go away. Meanwhile, my points slowly trickle downward.
The client should start on another WU (if it can get one) as soon as the first is finished. It doesn't wait for the previous one to upload.