FAH Deletes after Downloading?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

zeebee823

FAH Deletes after Downloading?

Post by zeebee823 »

Hello!

I am new here and don't understand much about computers despite hand-building one myself, please be kind.

Onto the issue: whenever I download FAH from the site, it appears in my downloads folder for around five seconds before disappearing into the ether. I have no idea where it goes.

When I first download it, I double-click to get it to run. The security warning prompt shows up, I click that it's OK to install. The setup wizard appears for less than three seconds, and I've only gotten to hit the next button to continue and then the "I agree" button for instillation, then the window disappears.

I have no clue where it goes, I don't know why this is happening, I just wanted to help. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Jorgeminator

Re: FAH Deletes after Downloading?

Post by Jorgeminator »

Probably your antivirus falsely detecting it as malware and deleting it. Just to make sure, are you downloading it from the official http://foldingathome.org website? I heard there are malicious versions of the executable floating around.
zeebee823

Post by zeebee823 »

Okay, so I told the Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security that the installer was OK to run, and the only thing that's changed is that the installer isn't being deleted anymore. It's still a speed-run to press buttons to get it to work, which I still haven't managed to do.

Edit: Had to restart my computer, and it's back to doing what it was originally.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum zeebee823,

Apart from Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security, do you have any other applications that are security related? Also, what version of Windows are you running? Under normal conditions, the downloaded file will remain on your disk unless you delete it. Clearly, that's not happening for you.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
John_D

Post by John_D »

Malware-- try going to client.foldingathome.org. click on the line that says install folding at home.