Distributed Folding on iMacs

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

A.DeVaney

Distributed Folding on iMacs

Post by A.DeVaney »

Hello,

I have about 150 idle iMacs spread across a university campus. I have been authorized to and told to get them folding as much as possible. Using ARD I am able to get the installation out there but I am running into an issue getting the FAHClient to register with the name and the team that we have set up. Touching each one of the computers is not going to be an option as they are spread out across a large campus and are also behind locked doors.

Where is the config.xml stored in the MacOS client? If I can get a hold of the .xml I should be able to send it out using ARD and be on my way. If there is a better option I am all ears.

Thank you!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Distributed Folding on iMacs

Post by Joe_H »

The default location for various work, log, and folding core files is /Library/Application Support/FAHClient/. A restart of the client or a reboot will load the contents of a changed config.xml.

You can also set up FAHControl to connect to and manage multiple machines across a network remotely. The monitoring machine does not need to be folding, and it can also be used to change settings.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
A.DeVaney

Re: Distributed Folding on iMacs

Post by A.DeVaney »

Joe_H wrote:The default location for various work, log, and folding core files is /Library/Application Support/FAHClient/. A restart of the client or a reboot will load the contents of a changed config.xml.

You can also set up FAHControl to connect to and manage multiple machines across a network remotely. The monitoring machine does not need to be folding, and it can also be used to change settings.

Thanks for the information Mr. H I'll dig into that directory and see if I can find what I am looking for.

Exploring FAHControl is a good option to pursue as well. Thank you! :D