Exception: Failed to rename 'log.txt' to 'logs\log-2012...

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ckchicago

Exception: Failed to rename 'log.txt' to 'logs\log-2012...

Post by ckchicago »

I am getting a Windows error:
FahCore_a7.exe has stopped working

FahCore_a7.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x000000000... referenced memory at 0x0000.... The memory could not be written.

When I open the Windows Event Viewer, I see that this has been happening sporadically for 6 months but is now occurring every time I start FAH and seems to be:
Exception: Failed to rename 'log.txt' to 'logs\log-20yymmdd-hhmmss.txt': The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Looking in the Program Files (x86)\FAHClient folder, I do not see a log.txt file, and there was not a 'logs' folder. In an attempt to resolve the problem, I have created the logs sub-folder to see if this will resolve the issue.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the FAH client software, but I am still getting the error.

I am running FAH on two systems. The above error is occurring on a system based on an Intel Core i5-4570T with no GPU. I have not seen any errors on a system built on an i7-9700 with a GTX1050. Both are running Windows 10 Build 19041.867
iero

Re: Exception: Failed to rename 'log.txt' to 'logs\log-2012.

Post by iero »

[NULL]
Last edited by iero on Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPU only
RTX 3060 12GB Gigabyte Gaming OC [currently mining]
Folding since 14/02/2021
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The log files are not kept in the Program Files (x86)\FAHClient folder, the are kept in a separate data folder. The location on a Windows system depends on which version of the F@h client you have installed. If you look at the beginning of the log file and/or post it, the location of the data folder is listed in the line that displays the current working directory, "CWD:".

The usual cause for these kind of errors is some other software is accessing the files and directory besides the folding client. This could be an anti-virus or other software. Or the data directory and its subdirectories have the wrong ownership or protections set. The recommendation is that the F@h data directory be excluded from anti-malware scans.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH should not be started in program files. The script that's provided by the installation should be used or you should accept the default and allow FAH to start itself automatically when you reboot. Starting any program by double-clicking the *.exe is never recommended. That's why many Windows installers have a question about installing a startup icon on your desktop.