FAHControl difference in % folded and log page

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Homecomp
Hardware configuration: Self build. Corsair Cabinet with H80i GT water cooler. - Intel i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 cores)
RAM - 16.00GB
64 bit Operating system
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung SSD 500GB

FAHControl difference in % folded and log page

Post by Homecomp »

Hi Peeps,
One of my 3 machines after a restart (extra Ram Inserted) the Folding@Home web page shows my %folding at 83%.
The FAHControl status Tab shows at 83% - But the Log tab shows it as 79%.
Normally when I watch I see once the % reaches the next one ie 72 to 73 the Log is updated.
But it doesn't seem to be happening.

On a completely different tact on a different machine the FAHControl is not in colour? yet everything else is.

Thanks
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: FAHControl difference in % folded and log page

Post by PantherX »

Have you refreshed both, the Web Control and FAHControl and then checked the % completed?

The loss of colour is weird... by chance, what version of the client are you running? The latest one has been released a few days ago: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34466
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

Are you running any window/program/display control software at all?
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
susanreads

Post by susanreads »

I've got this problem in a major way, and it's the log page that's correct.

I started folding about a month ago, on a Windows 10 laptop, and after some trouble getting it to start automatically I'm running it as a service (see viewtopic.php?f=106&t=33531). I'd just about got used to how it works, and I shut the laptop down overnight every so often to let it cool down and avoid crashes. I've had problems with the % folded in the Web Control being too high (I think it's OK the first time I look at it in a browser session, then extrapolates from how fast it was running then, but it's actually running much slower because I'm using the browser). On Monday I got a new WU which is much bigger than usual (Project 14190), with a timeout of 15 days. Yesterday it was probably at about 25% when I shut the laptop down for a rest.

This morning, less than an hour after I turned it on again, the Web Control said 99.99%! This is obviously wrong. I signed in as the admin user and checked the Advanced Control, which also said 99%, but the log showed a more plausible figure - I think it was 28% when I looked again half an hour ago.

I'm not on the very latest software, because when I read that it's been updated I also read that it doesn't work for a Win10 standard user, probably somewhere in that topic I've been posting to. I don't want to update anything to fix this bug that might make that situation worse, but I'd like to be able to confirm it's running OK and estimate whether I'll beat the timeout, preferably without having to log in as the admin user!
Homecomp
Hardware configuration: Self build. Corsair Cabinet with H80i GT water cooler. - Intel i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 cores)
RAM - 16.00GB
64 bit Operating system
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung SSD 500GB

Post by Homecomp »

Hi PantherX,
Yes I had, and no difference I stopped the whole FAH process and restarted it no difference. So I installed that latest version 7.6.13 on all 3 machines, and after a few problems they all started to fold quite nicely and the % lag seems to have vanished....... I still have to refresh occasionally for the logs to catch up!!

The colour problem.....That particular Pc - when I say the colour is not the same.... The bar where the Configure tab is is a blue colour on two of 3 but is totally grey on the third,
where the Client: local Online Running is located I get a green highlight over Online On all three Pc's. The yellow star above about is yellow on all 3 Pc's.
Under Clients The name Status Address and the subsequent input by FAH are Light blue and darker blue respectively on two Pc's but are totally grey on the 3rd.

Neil-B The only graphics is on the chip itself Dell E173FP Intel HD Graphics - The CPU is a Intel Core i3 2100 Sandy Bridge.
I have just ordered an i5 3470 3.2GHz and will be upgrading the memory from 8 (2x4) to 16 (2x8). Hope that helps if not I will try and source a proper graphics card.
So I am just being patient and waiting for the delivery man.....
Last edited by Homecomp on Fri May 08, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
susanreads

Post by susanreads »

I left mine running overnight and it's showing plausible figures again. Perhaps it fixed itself at midnight UTC.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Windows 10 64-bit
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Homecomp wrote:...The colour problem.....That particular Pc - when I say the colour is not the same.... The bar where the Configure tab is is a blue colour on two of 3 but is totally grey on the third,
where the Client: local Online Running is located I get a green highlight over Online On all three Pc's. The yellow star above about is yellow on all 3 Pc's.
Under Clients The name Status Address and the subsequent input by FAH are Light blue and darker blue respectively on two Pc's but are totally grey on the 3rd...
Could you please post a picture? You will have to upload it to a third party service (Imgur or similar) and then paste the link here.

I do know that there are few themes for FAHControl and I personally use the Wii-Black one so could it be that you might have accidentally selected a different theme and assuming if you upgraded without a fresh installation (i.e. deleted the previous data), that setting would most likely be carried over.
ETA:

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
bruce

Post by bruce »

The 99.99% report is simply a case of extrapolating based on previous folding rates AFTER the WU has stopped processing. It's not uncommon for a WU to crash but the information is not shared probperly so the Client keeps reporting phantom progress. The key information comes from the checkpoints which supposedly repeat an a regular basis but the extrapolation doesn't ever get another checkpoint on which expected to be able to re-estimate what's happening.

I have a laptop with no supported GPU which depended on running the Windows Service but during one of the beta updates to the new FAHClient, the service feature was removed. I objected strongly and I beleive it has been reinstated, but I havn't had an opportunity to re-attempt to use it on that machine. All of my other clients have GPUs, so the Windows Service is not applicable to them.
Homecomp
RAM - 16.00GB
64 bit Operating system
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung SSD 500GB

Post by Homecomp »

Hi PantherX,

Here are the two links 1. https://imgur.com/DPpIqvU 2. https://imgur.com/7fOQDi3

Also ref the themes I can access the different themes on two Pc's but not the 3rd it does nothing but say Default, no drop down menu.!!!!
Not sure if this is a software issue ie windows 10.. as on this particular machine when I access certain settings ie Pesonalization - Colour - if you scroll down to the part where it says + Custom Colour and beneath that there are two boxes Start etc and Title bars on this machine there is no further text available yet on the other two i get Related settings and Do you have a Question.
In many other places bits a missing. I have checked the windows build Number and all three Pc's are the same build.
Under Network the last line on the Pc is Network reset on the other two I have Do you have a question.
I'm stumped
PantherX
Site Moderator
Windows 10 64-bit
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Homecomp wrote:...Also ref the themes I can access the different themes on two Pc's but not the 3rd it does nothing but say Default, no drop down menu....
That's an indication that the themes weren't installed. That could be due to OS assuming that all three installations were done in the same manner. I think your system might be lacking some components which caused the installer to skip the themes. IIRC, this happened when I installed the initial V7 client in a VM with no GPU drivers and it was running the basic divers. I have seen that image before where I believe the GTK system wasn't installed so it rendered it differently. By chance, did you disable visual effects on your system (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disa ... windows-10)?
Homecomp wrote:...Not sure if this is a software issue ie windows 10.. as on this particular machine when I access certain settings ie Pesonalization - Colour - if you scroll down to the part where it says + Custom Colour and beneath that there are two boxes Start etc and Title bars on this machine there is no further text available yet on the other two i get Related settings and Do you have a Question.
In many other places bits a missing. I have checked the windows build Number and all three Pc's are the same build.
Under Network the last line on the Pc is Network reset on the other two I have Do you have a question....
That is due to the size of the Control Panel. If you enlarge it, the "Do you have a question" and other elements will be displayed in the right-hand panel. The size of Control Panel window could be limited to either the Screen resolution or the size of the window which you can adjust.
ETA:

Homecomp
RAM - 16.00GB
64 bit Operating system
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung SSD 500GB

Post by Homecomp »

Hi PantherX,
Yup resizing the window, Doh....
I ran the ‘sfc /scannow’ on that computer and I can now see all the themes etc......Disabled the Visual effects......But the FAHControl panel stays greyed out, I tried the High contrast on 2 of my computers, the screens are side by side so I could see any differences it threw up.
using #1 highlights the name in the top most bar on both machines but the local online bar is still grey on this 1 Pc.
uyaem

Post by uyaem »

The web client in version 7.6.13 introduced mechanisms to prevent any kind of page and ajax call caching.
Without knowing all the details, this may have been the cause of the wrong numbers that you saw.
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
Homecomp
RAM - 16.00GB
64 bit Operating system
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung SSD 500GB

Post by Homecomp »

Hi uyaem,
Thanks.
Homecomp
RAM - 16.00GB
64 bit Operating system
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung SSD 500GB

Post by Homecomp »

Hi every one,
The colour problem on one of my Pc's is resolved.......After upgrading the Processor from i3 to i5 with 8GB RAM didn't make any difference, but one I had upgraded to 16GB RAM the colour in the FAH Control Panel has reappeared......so It was a RAM thing with working the processor (FAH) on Full
I'm a happy bunny.
Thanks to all
Prototypics

Similar issues

Post by Prototypics »

I'm having a nearly identical issue. I've been folding for a bit now, but updated to 7.6.21 tonight and have been troubleshooting since. FAHControl was having no effect on the cores (pause, finish, etc) or configuration, displayed a 0.2% progress for all cores in contrast to actual progress in log and web control, and has an identical color and layout as the images shared in the OP's earlier post without the ability to change themes. After uninstalling and reinstalling a couple times, I noticed that each time the Start Menu shortcut for the Data Directory always pointed to the old AppData/Roaming directory, instead of the current ProgramData/FAHClient directory. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but I fixed the Data Directory shortcut to point to ProgramData/FAHClient and when I restarted FAHControl it was in sync with progress and the configuration and controls functioned as expected. I am still unable to change the themes though. There is a Themes folder in the FAHClient with subfolders of all the themes, which is odd. My graphics drivers are up to date (two RTX 2070s), and I haven't changed any graphics or display settings in at least a couple of weeks.

Any idea how to get FAHControl to recognize the Themes? It's less of an issue than the whole GUI being non-functional, but it would still be nice to correct.