Work units stall at 99.99% Windows Vista 7.6.13 cx_freeze

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

NRT_AntiKytherA

Re: Work units stall at 99.99% Windows Vista 7.6.13 cx_freez

Post by NRT_AntiKytherA »

To do what you want, you need to use a program such as multibootusb to create the USB stick with persistence. Anyhow, linux can read the NTFS partition okay so if it is not encrypted you can access everything in your personal files direct from linux. BUT will come with it's own browser, office package etc. and you won't be able to use the programs installed on the NTFS partition.

Hopefully you shouldn't have any hardware issues. The only foreseeable stumbling block (and it depends a lot on whether you are using a laptop or not) would be the wireless LAN adaptor. If you have an early Ralink, Realtek or broadcom device, they can sometimes be problematic with modern kernels. You will find that out with the live USB stick anyway.

http://multibootusb.org/page_guide/#add ... tence-file

the alternative is to actually install directly to the USB stick as you would an internal HDD. This is entirely possible with linux. It would however not be that fast as I'm assuming you don't have USB 3.0 on that Vista machine. Minimum drive size for either option I would use would be 32GB
paulmd199
Hardware configuration: Machine 1: Gigabyte Z160MX-Gaming 5, Core i5-6500, eVGA 600 W PSU, thermaltake water 3.0120 cooling, 16GB DDR4, GPU 0: GT1030, GPU 1: GTX1050 Ti, GPU 2: GTX1660

Machine 2: Core i3 laptop (dell inspiron 1464)

Retired/spare: GT 750
Unusable: Intel HD 530

Post by paulmd199 »

Given the age of the machine (~10-15yrs), your freezing is as likely to be related to failing hardware as anything to do with folding. I would do a few standard checks on your hardware.

Check the hard disk - Download the free utility from your hard disk manufacturer, if you aren't sure, seatools from seagate will work for all brands.
Check RAM (Memtest86)

See what kind of temperatures you're running under load (Open Hardware monitor)
If this is a desktop, open it up and look for bulging and leaking capacitors. Machines in that generation were notorious for this type of failure.
NRT_AntiKytherA

Post by NRT_AntiKytherA »

Fair point about memtest which if I recall is on the mint ISO as a boot option for legacy BIOS machines like the Vista one. If not, download the memtest+ ISO and boot from that to check your RAM. The hard drive can be checked with Disks tool in Linux Mint, it can run the same tests as seatools and will analyze SMART data. Be aware it will most likely return PREFAIL and or OLD AGE for the majority of values though. Even my 5 year old MX300 SSD shows OLD AGE values but it carries on working fine. I just take regular backups so should it actually fail there's nothing lost.
Scott_AU

Post by Scott_AU »

danISfolding4COVID19 wrote:I am running v7.6.13 on a Windows Vista box. The Advanced Control produces a 'cx_freeze error' on every launch attempt.
I am running FAH Version: 7.5.1 on Vista SP2 (32bit) the completed work units process and have no problem sending result. Yes, I get Advanced Control option 'cx_freeze error' . I just do not use that menu option and it works fine - occasionally I do use "Web Control" option.

Snippet from my FAH log:

Code: Select all

18:25:23:         GPUs: 0
18:25:23:         CUDA: Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'nvcuda.dll': The
18:25:23:               specified module could not be found.
18:25:23:
18:25:23:       OpenCL: Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'OpenCL.dll': The
18:25:23:               specified module could not be found.
Don't ask why, yes, I run older OS version because I know how and mitigate the security risk. No OS has 100% security.