Fedora 33 Updates messing w/OpenCL/CUDA [RESOLVED]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

psaam0001

Fedora 33 Updates messing w/OpenCL/CUDA [RESOLVED]

Post by psaam0001 »

Is anyone else here having issues with losing the ability to run GPU WU's after updating Fedora 33's kernel and rebooting???

This issue caused me enough headaches last night, that I ended up putting Windows 10 (Home) on the refurbished former Windows 7 system. However, I am having the same headache with my Dell PowerEdge T105, which I understand is only supported by the Dell OEM version of Windows Server 2003 or 2008 (where I need to pull the frigging manual out just to find out what settings I need to change to be able to install anything off of the Internet--I.E.: the F@H Client, and OS Updates/Utilities I need); or Linux.

What other distributions of Linux are currently less problematic for a full time folding machine???

Paul
Last edited by psaam0001 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikeaddict

Re: Fedora 33 Updates messing with OpenCL/CUDA

Post by bikeaddict »

See the post linked below. You will have to pick 5.8.18 from the GRUB boot menu or uninstall the 5.9.8 kernel package to restore GPU folding functionality. There is now a 455.45.01 NVIDIA driver out, but I don't know if it has a fix. I'm waiting for a new RPMFusion package, but the driver can be installed manually.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=36434
psaam0001

Re: Fedora 33 Updates messing wOpenCL/CUDA [CASE CLOSED]

Post by psaam0001 »

I guess till the fix is released (and confirmed to be working), I will run CPU jobs on that Dell for now.

Time for my future savings to be allocated towards new folding rig's (that I can get repair/upgrade parts for w/o calling the system manufacturer).

Paul

Update: I installed the updated (Short Lived) Linux drivers on that Dell, and I'm now back in business w/GPU WU's.

::: Cuing up: "Back in Black"--AC/DC :::
bikeaddict

Post by bikeaddict »

The latest akmod-nvidia package from RPMFusion installs version 455.45 of the driver which fixes folding on the 5.9.8 Linux kernel.
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

I downloaded the 455.45.01 run file (from NVidia), before pausing F@H. Then from terminal, issued the commands to allow me to reboot at run level 3 (temporarily disabling Gnome), before running that installation package to upgrade the drivers, and issuing the command to allow me to use the Gnome GUI upon reboot.

Pretty much, steps 2.7-2.9 of the "If Not True, Then..." Guide.

NOTE TO AMD GPU/iGPU USERS: THE ABOVE FIX IS ONLY FOR USING AN NVIDIA GPU/iGPU. YOU WILL NEED THE MOST RECENT AMD DRIVERS AND SUPPORTED OPENCL LIBRARIES.

Paul
psaam0001

Re: Fedora 33 Updates messing w/OpenCL/CUDA [RESOLVED]

Post by psaam0001 »

Further updates caused the same issue this weekend, but I fixed it by removing the previous installation of v455.45.01, and re-installing it once all of the available updates to Fedora were installed, and I had rebooted to run level 3.

I have as of 12/1/2020 made it a point of order to finish any active GPU WU's on any system that has the Fedora distribution of Linux and NVidia cards, before doing the 'dnf update' process. I'm tired of losing good points because slots become disabled by updates.

Paul