GPU: Not possible to complete in time limit

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

andreasm82

GPU: Not possible to complete in time limit

Post by andreasm82 »

Hi,

I use the FAH Client 7.6.21 an a HP 255 G7 laptop. FAH Client says it has a GPU raven ryzen vega 8 mobile.
windows says: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx

The computer is not running all the time, only over the day or in the evenings.
In the last weeks, I see it more and more that it is not possible to get the calculation complete before the time limit ends. Sometimes the time range for GPU is so slow that it is not possible to do it in that time!
E.g. if my GPU needs 7 days for calculation and the time range is 6 days - this makes no sense to run it.
It wastes only energy and money in that case.

So I deactivated GPU calculation in FAH client Settings. But on the next start of computer, it calculates again with GPU. Why?
It should be possible to deactivate GPU for users, who use FAH client not so often.
It was possible to deactivate GPU in older program versions. Please allow this again. Thanks.

By the way: The time limit for the CPU is very long. It is sometimes > 10 days but it takes only 3 oder 4 days to complete work unit.
Seems like the both time limits are changed ?

To do for developers:
* Allowing to deactivate GPU usage as persistent setting. It should stay after restart of computer
* Finding out why GPU time limit is so low

Thanks!

have a nice day, greets Andreas
gunnarre

Re: GPU: Not possible to complete in time limit

Post by gunnarre »

If your settings are set to auto-add GPUs, then removing the GPU slot will just re-add it again next time you start. A sure-fire way to pause it is to set "pause-on-start" to "true" on the slot, in Configure -> Slots -> Edit -> Add (an extra slot option.)

Alternatively, if you slide the "Folding power" down to Light, that should also stop the GPU if you haven't done any configuration changes.
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
bruce

Post by bruce »

You can also set gpus=false which disables tha auto-config steps that add new GPUs.
andreasm82

Post by andreasm82 »

Thank you gunnarre, I added that extra slot option and it works.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum andreasm82,

Please note that the Developers do not set deadline for my CPU/GPU Projects. That is set by the researchers based on many factors like the urgency, priority, etc. Prior to the pandemic, there would be sufficient work to ensure that various GPUs can contribute even part-time. However, that has changed a bit and in future, GPUs would be automatically assigned WUs that are best suited for it (this is still in development and there's no ETA on when it will be rolled out).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
MrCommunistGen

Post by MrCommunistGen »

bruce wrote:You can also set gpus=false which disables tha auto-config steps that add new GPUs.
Where do I set this? In the Extra slot options for the CPU slot?

I'm interested in using the gpus=false method because I am folding on a low-end APU where even if the GPU slot runs 24/7 it cannot complete the WUs on time. I'd like to just get rid of the GPU slot. Simply pausing it like gunnarre suggests isn't ideal because even a paused GPU slot takes up a CPU core, reducing the folding performance of the CPU slot.

Plus, I've inadvertently unpaused the GPU slot a couple times causing the client to download a GPU WU, which feels wasteful.

Assuming I successfully set gpus=false, do I need to restart FAHClient and/or FAHControl for the change to take effect? FWIW, this is for a Windows system.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
gs60

Post by gs60 »

The manual way is to remove the gpu slot from the config.xml file and add <gpu value="false"/>. I think the best way is to open advanced control from the system tray, pause your folding, remove the gpu slot and save, and under the expert tab, add an expert client option with a name of gpu with a value of false and save. Once done, quit and restart the fah client. I may be full of prunes, but at least this should steer you in the right direction.

https://test.foldingathome.org/support/ ... ion-guide/
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum MrCommunistGen,

gs60 has it right, the "Clicks" involved are:
Advanced Control (AKA FAHControl) > Configure > Expert tab > Extra client options > Add
Name: gpu
Value: false
OK > Save > Restart client/system (whatever is easier)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues