Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

momus_98
Hardware configuration: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

It's working

Post by momus_98 »

So, if my current client is working fine, do I (or should I) upgrade?

I set up my box with a Win10 admin account, but run daily as a standard user. F@H is working & running just fine.
"The points don't matter. The points are like a $20 bill that Tiger Woods finds in a jacket he hasn't worn in awhile." - Drew Carey, Whose Line is it Anyway?
bruce

Re: It's working

Post by bruce »

Upgrading FAHClient is normally optional. In almost every case, I have successfully done so by doing a PAUSE and then I proceed with the install with FAHClient still running. I can't promise it will always work but it has seemed the safest for my plain-vanilla installation on a wide variety of systems.

If you're trying to test an Intel iGP, you MUST upgrade first.
gunnarre

Post by gunnarre »

Newer versions can contain security fixes. There is for example a security fix in version 7.6.20 of the GUI, that applies to some users: https://foldingathome.org/2020/11/23/up ... gurations/
Online: GTX 1660 Super, GTX 1080, GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC, RX580 + occasional CPU folding in the cold.
Offline: Radeon HD 7770, GTX 960, GTX 950
momus_98
Hardware configuration: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor
AMD Radeon RX 570 Series
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Post by momus_98 »

Thanks. I was able to successfully upgrade. Maybe it's just me, but upgrading F@H in the past meant that you might lose your current WU & have to start fresh. There was always a delicate dance of "finish a WU", upgrade, and start anew.

"upgrade in place" has never been something with which I was comfortable for any software. Maybe it's old Windows habits, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm back to folding with the current version.
"The points don't matter. The points are like a $20 bill that Tiger Woods finds in a jacket he hasn't worn in awhile." - Drew Carey, Whose Line is it Anyway?