No folding: NS Connection Refused/Access Violation

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

iokeith

No folding: NS Connection Refused/Access Violation

Post by iokeith »

With a reset Win 10 machine with no GPUs, installed FAH but web control refused to connect properly. In the Developer Network settings of FireFox, I get a couple of NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED messages then zero ping responses. Hence no log file. Tried Chrome browser, changed router and DNS settings, and disabled antivirus and firewall but no joy.

I've tried starting FAH in the DOS window with --open-web-control parameter: GPUs.txt is received from assign1 server and read, and then the Win 32 Exception access violation error occurs, which when trying this method before I hadn't noticed. I've tested memory, Revo uninstalled FAH, sfc scannow, but no joy here either.

I'm not sure whether these two errors are separate or connected. Any ideas whats going on?
bruce

Re: No folding: NS Connection Refused/Access Violation

Post by bruce »

The FAH installer should create a directory where FAH places it's working files. You need to use the shortcut or script that was installed with the client when it was installed which connnects the client and control apps with that directory. If you've moved things or you're starting it directly, it won't work.

If that doesn't work, find the log file (see below) and post the first few pages.
iokeith

Post by iokeith »

Yes I have done that. The installation just can't escape from the local host and doesn't connect with the server, and I can't see why. The program data folder contains only Themes folder, GPUs.txt and sample config file. Hence no log file.
Rosetta@home seems to work OK, but that's no consolation!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Starting FAHClient in a DOS window correctly wold require passing the correct path to the location for storing data files, the log file, and the downloaded folding cores. Otherwise you might be attempting to store those in a protected folder for program executables, and therefore get the access violation error. When an install works correctly it creates a shortcut to start FAHClient that includes the correct path, and that should be used. By default FAHClient is also started when your system is started as well.

The normal network access needed locally for FAHClient is over the local IP 127.0.0.1 and ports 7396 for Web Control and 36330 for Advanced Control (FAHControl). These connections also need to designated as being within the Private range from what others have posted. Different patches from MS for Windows and the associated firewall and anti-virus apps have been known to change this in the past.

One test that you make locally to see if FAHClient is accessible when running is to telnet into it over port 36330 on 127.0.0.1. The default telnet app provided with Windows has been reported as having problems, but a third party app such as PuTTY will work.

For access between the FAHClient process and servers elsewhere it communicates over ports 80 and 8080 using HTTP. Default settings for some firewalls and anti-malware apps block use of HTTP by default if not from "known" browsers such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, etc. Exceptions may need to be added for FAHClient, locally and possibly at a router if you are behind a corporate or institutional firewall. Locally the connections would also need to be designated as Private for Windows network security settings.

Hope this gives you some troubleshooting ideas.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
iokeith

Post by iokeith »

Thanks. Looks like FAHClient not accessible as I tried the PuTTY connection and got message 'Network error; Connection refused'. I had pre-installed private FAHClient firewall rules, and browser had exception rules too. As a home installation, I've also tried running without firewall and antivirus, and swapped routers, but nothing started. A mystery!